Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Pastor Emeritus , I have only known of one

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Pastor Emeritus , I have only known of one Cojak
I knew a 4 SQ pastor who had pastored the church over 40 years and did a great job. He was also a Saint. And was named Pastor Emeritus. I have no idea if he received any financial compensation, I actually never thought of it. I also never heard one negative word about him staying. He even became a greeter and loved it.

Now I understand a church close to my heart has a senior pastor who is retiring. He would like to stay on at the church and assist the new pastor. He would also expect some financial compensation.

I assume the board will make the decision, not the church.

I have heard so many stories IN THE PAST of previous pastors staying and it caused a lot of friction.

Now a days, how is that viewed as you see it? Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/14/17 9:58 pm

Post Da Sheik
I think it’s a great thing in a perfect world. I served as associate pastor at my brother’s church a long time ago. The previous pastor retired but wanted to continue attending the church. My brother appointed him as Pastor Emeritus. He was very gracious, wise, and supportive of my brother. He never once tried to undermine him. My brother did everything he could to incorporate him into whatever we did. Whether it was praying for the sick, assisting with altar calls, or allowing him to preach. It was a real blessing for all of us. He received a very small financial remuneration but it was not worthy of being called a salary. He was grateful for what he received.

I think it all depends on the individual and the church. Some pastors can’t accept the role of retirement. Some congregations can’t let Moses retire and allow Joshua to lead. When it works, it’s a beautiful thing. When it doesn’t, it can be very contentious and divisive.
Acts Enthusiast
11/14/17 10:33 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic