Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Some thoughts about racism....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Some thoughts about racism.... Aaron Scott
Have you ever heard someone say, "I'm not racist--I have lots of black friends!" or something similar? I've been thinking about why us white folks can be of two minds about black folks. That is, we can sincerely love and care for African Americans in our churches, etc., yet be somewhat outraged at Black Lives Matter, etc.

I think the answer is the white people, perhaps without realizing it, divide blacks into at least two camps. There is that range of African Americans that stretch down from the Huxtables (Bill Cosby's show) to the average black person...and then there is that other group that, rightly or wrongly, are smeared with all the negative stereotypes (e.g., welfare queens, babies out of wedlock, criminals, etc.).

But while whites see (at least) two types of African Americans, I think African Americans view themselves more monolithically. That is, to say bad things to any black person is to say bad things about them all.

Something has to give if we are going to get over this (assuming I am largely right about what I am saying). Now, there are people who could care less about the qualities of a black person--they are just so much of an idiot that they don't like a person solely due to the color of their skin. You can't help these folks, for the most part. So we have to leave them out of the equation; they are the "lone wolf" racists that cannot easily be disabused of their ignorance.

So what do we do? I imagine whites would want all black folks to know that any "racist" comments are not directed at ALL blacks...but only at certain, "deserving" blacks.

And I imagine that blacks would want whites to know that if they say something racist about this or that black (no matter how "deserving"), it cuts them, too, since they see it as a racist statement against all blacks.

How do we solve this?

Is it solvable outside of a divine grace?

Am I even right about the matter?

Your thoughts appreciated.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/24/17 10:53 am

Post Re: Some thoughts about racism.... UncleJD
Aaron Scott wrote:
But while whites see (at least) two types of African Americans, I think African Americans view themselves more monolithically. That is, to say bad things to any black person is to say bad things about them all.

That is true for liberal blacks, but not moderates. I have known many that see at least 3 cultures, liberal/radical, hip-hop/gang, and moderates. The moderates are usually the ones with fathers in the homes, military service, and independent in spirit.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/24/17 1:13 pm

Post Cojak
I am not sure there is an answer, except for time. I don't think I am alone in my thinking. Older people can see it even clearer. because we can remember segregation. We lived it and very seldom questioned it. That is just the way it is (we thought). My mom and dad came from farms around Toccoa Georgia. And as far back as I can remember the 'N' word was prohibited in our home. Use it and expect a lecture along with a swat on the rear if you were a child. "We are ALL children of God!"

I am writing another book. It is about a preacher's kid and his dog. I am thinking back to my childhood. I was too young to understand when I ate at my friend's house (who were Colored, 'til she died mama said Colored is respectful) any way at my friend's house I could not eat at their table with them. I had to sit on the stack of firewood behind the wood stove. When I asked Mrs Davis (Mammy) WHY? All she would say was "It ain't accepted boy, once you are growed you will understand." The Davis kids sat at our table when they ate with us.

Later in life I did learn the reason. The 'Colored folk' had to tread lightly down south because their intent could be misunderstood. and when that happened terrible things could happen.

So as I look back at the changes over the years there have been giant strides in the education of 'we' whites. Time and the help of folk like MLK jr have brought those strides. Enough? of course not.

Do I have any close black friends. No, but I do have friends that we eat together once or twice a year. I hired a young mason once. He had a great personality, Jerry Bridges. On his breaks we talked. I found out he was a COG preacher. His father in law was a leader in the COG. What a joy to sit and talk with him when he had time. I learned more. I learned even more from Sticky. A black business man who became the subject of my first book. YES, in his opinion Black and Whites are working better together, and time will make it better. His philosophy:Y'all got hardheaded Whites, we got hardheaded Blacks, but they are being less and less.

By the way, I also learned something from 'Ron' a militant black in the USN. We had a great relationship, I liked Ron. One day he was laughing as he had lengthened his hair to a moderate 'Afro'. "I hear you white boys say my hair is like steel wool, feel this dude and see what you think." I did feel it, and it was softer than cotton. No I did not think it was like steel wool, but I was surprised how soft it was. NOW YOU WHITE BOYS KNOW! Smile Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/24/17 2:08 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Currently, 99% of racism is from blacks aimed towards whites.
10/24/17 8:24 pm

Post Cojak
Resident Skeptic wrote:

I think that percentage is off a good bit my friend. The media helps establish that feeling. I wish I could say news, but I am not too sure we have any real 'news' today. On any report it is easy to see the reporters view coming through.

What I do find, and it hurts my feelings. I find when I speak and smile at many black males, I get a stare, or an ignore. I actually feel good when I get a return greeting and a smile.

Now black women I normally get a big smile and return salutation. That attitude is bolstered by the media.
I still think your percentages are way too high. Shocked
10/24/17 10:26 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Cojak wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

I think that percentage is off a good bit my friend. The media helps establish that feeling. I wish I could say news, but I am not too sure we have any real 'news' today. On any report it is easy to see the reporters view coming through.

What I do find, and it hurts my feelings. I find when I speak and smile at many black males, I get a stare, or an ignore. I actually feel good when I get a return greeting and a smile.

Now black women I normally get a big smile and return salutation. That attitude is bolstered by the media.
I still think your percentages are way too high. Shocked

FBI stats prove I'm right, brother.
10/25/17 2:10 am

Post Da Sheik
Growing up in a blended family, I can tell you that racism exists on every side. I can remember being at family gatherings on my dad’s side (Caucasian ) and hearing my own relatives using the “N” word. Society was much less accepting of interracial marriages at the time.

I also remember being around mom’s family and there was definitely a chip on the shoulder of some of them. Very defensive. Almost as if they came into the world with two strikes against them. You have to remember too, that even though there are no slaves or segregation anymore (officially), we are not far removed from having to drink from separate water fountains or using separate bathrooms. These stories have been passed down to future generations.
Acts Enthusiast
10/25/17 11:26 am

Post bradfreeman
[quote="Resident Skeptic"][quote="Cojak"]
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Quote:

Please provide these supporting statistics. Thanks.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
11/9/17 4:39 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
[quote="bradfreeman"][quote="Resident Skeptic"]
Cojak wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Quote:

Haha yeah. The numbers are so stupid - 99% - that no person with any reasoning skills at all would believe them.
11/10/17 7:51 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
What the ole timer don't believe is that I personally owe some kinda reparation to somebody today over something what happened 150 years ago. I treat black folk with exactly the same respect, cordiality, and kindness and friendliness that I do white folk. As fer me an my house, we didn't own no slaves, an I don't owe the great grand young'uns of slaves some kinda special treatment. They get the same level a dignity and respect I give everybody else. Acts-pert Poster
11/10/17 8:57 am

Post UncleJD
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
What the ole timer don't believe is that I personally owe some kinda reparation to somebody today over something what happened 150 years ago. I treat black folk with exactly the same respect, cordiality, and kindness and friendliness that I do white folk. As fer me an my house, we didn't own no slaves, an I don't owe the great grand young'uns of slaves some kinda special treatment. They get the same level a dignity and respect I give everybody else.

We could add up the cost of the civil war, fought and paid by the United States, and weigh it against the cost of the salaries of the slaves and see who owes who.. (I'm joking of course, both ideas are equally stupid)
11/10/17 9:39 am

Post RS Change Agent
Waiting on those FBI stats. Laughing Acts Enthusiast
11/11/17 1:48 pm

Post Re: RS Resident Skeptic
Change Agent wrote:
Waiting on those FBI stats. Laughing

"DOJ stats" would be more accurate.

As one observer noted,

This table can be used for a number of interesting calculations. First, we find that during the 2012/2013 period, blacks committed an average of 560,600 violent crimes against whites, whereas whites committed only 99,403 such crimes against blacks. This means blacks were the attackers in 84.9 percent of the violent crimes involving blacks and whites. This figure is consistent with reports from 2008, the last year DOJ released similar statistics. Perhaps not coincidentally, that was the year Mr. Obama was elected president.
Interestingly, we find that violent interracial crime involving blacks and Hispanics occurs in almost exactly the same proportions as black/white crime: Blacks are the attackers 82.5 percent of the time, while Hispanics are attackers only 17.5 percent of the time.

Some observers argue that what causes the overwhelming preponderance of black-on-white over white-on-black violence is “chance of encounter,” due to the fact that there are five times as many whites as blacks in the American population. However, there are only about 30 percent more Hispanics than blacks, yet black-on-Hispanic violence is almost as lopsided as black-on-white violence. This suggests blacks may be deliberately targeting both whites and Hispanics.

Using figures for the 2013 racial mix of the population–62.2 percent white, 17.1 percent Hispanic, 13.2 percent black–we can calculate the average likelihood of a person of each race attacking the other. A black is 27 times more likely to attack a white and 8 times more likely to attack a Hispanic than the other way around. A Hispanic is eight times more likely to attack a white than vice versa.
11/11/17 2:12 pm

Post RS Change Agent
Didn't see any 99% in those rigged stats you provided. Acts Enthusiast
11/11/17 5:41 pm

Change Agent wrote:
Didn't see any 99% in those rigged stats you provided.

85% is quite a number. And if you think "gov" numbers are rigged, you need to explain why. But you didn't and most likely won't because you can't.

FYI. my 99% number was really in reference to racism in general, not just violent crime.
11/11/17 6:23 pm

Post Cojak
From one man who probably was no cleaner than most folk, but took a beating anyway, I quote his words at least once a month, "Can't we all just get along?"

Over the last few years it seems we have more 'aggressive' agitation on both sides. In among my friends and acquaintences we still greet and chat with no apparent problems. But in the cities it seems it will take years more before some sanity shows up. If we can keep the gangs and cults from growing maybe by the time my great great grands marry things will be a little better.

Crying or Very sad
11/11/17 8:35 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Cojak wrote:
From one man who probably was no cleaner than most folk, but took a beating anyway, I quote his words at least once a month, "Can't we all just get along?"

Over the last few years it seems we have more 'aggressive' agitation on both sides. In among my friends and acquaintences we still greet and chat with no apparent problems. But in the cities it seems it will take years more before some sanity shows up. If we can keep the gangs and cults from growing maybe by the time my great great grands marry things will be a little better.

Crying or Very sad

I hope so my friend.
11/11/17 8:46 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
[quote="Nature Boy Florida"][quote="bradfreeman"]
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Cojak wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Quote:

Haha yeah. The numbers are so stupid - 99% - that no person with any reasoning skills at all would believe them.

I think you realize it's a hyperbole. Nevertheless, you don't hear daily reports of whites knocking down innocent blacks in a so-called knockout "game".

Last edited by Resident Skeptic on 11/12/17 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts-dicted
11/11/17 9:49 pm

Post diakoneo
Aaron Scott wrote:

Quote:
Some thoughts about racism....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZtiJN6yiik
11/11/17 10:29 pm

Change Agent wrote:
Didn't see any 99% in those rigged stats you provided.

Again, these are government stats. You don't like them because, like many whites, you've spiritualize white guilt and white abasement. It's a mental disorder. Thus you must try to discredit any facts that threaten your cult ideology on race.
11/12/17 9:42 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic