Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Special Interest Churches
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Quiet Wyatt
Sorry if I was unclear. I intended to group these different kinds of churches together based on what I see as a shared pretention. I realize there may be some cowboy churches which would not be seeker friendly. But both cowboy and seeker friendly churches seem to me to operate on the same principle of “let’s try to be like ______ in order to reach ______.” [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/9/17 10:18 pm

Post Here's a specialty church ... (LINK) Mat
Here's a specialty church where how you dress is not going to be an issue (LINK):

https://www.charismanews.com/opinion/watchman-on-the-wall/68120-unclean-spirit-driving-troubling-christian-movement

I was going to say, we ought to have seen this coming - but that just does not sound right in this case.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
11/10/17 4:23 pm

Post Cojak
UncleJD wrote:
Strangely enough, the cowboy church I visited was far from "seeker friendly" in the "traditional sense". ... Its Cowboy-friendly for sure, not really "seeker friendly" so much...

Strangely enough I got the same impression at the Florida Cowboy Church.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/11/17 12:52 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Every church has a culture. The thing that makes me wonder about ‘cowboy’ and ‘biker’ churches (and for that matter, ‘seeker-friendly’ churches) is that in these cases the culture is likely a contrived or imposed one, instead of simply unintentionally reflecting the culture of the people, as is the case with most churches. I don’t get the whole ‘let’s pretend to be Christian cowboys’ approach, or the, ‘let’s pretend to be cool and trendy like the world to reach the world’ approach. Shouldn’t we all be just desiring to reflect the cultural values of Jesus Christ?

I have a friend in OK that attends a Cowboy Church. I've gotten the impression from her that is non-traditional in approach (meeting outside, come as you are) and ministers to people who naturally fit into that culture. Perhaps not true "cowboys" but it is a mostly rural culture, where a lot of people are farmers and wear jeans/boots, etc., daily already. It makes sense that it would appeal to people that do not necessarily wear or even own a suit and tie. "Come as you are and worship the Lord." And I can see where it would appeal to more men who might not be interested in dressing up. My friend's description is not that people are "pretending to be cowboys," but that it is for those feel more comfortable in that attire/setting already.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/11/17 10:15 am

Post Both right or wrong? Mat
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Every church has a culture. The thing that makes me wonder about ‘cowboy’ and ‘biker’ churches (and for that matter, ‘seeker-friendly’ churches) is that in these cases the culture is likely a contrived or imposed one, instead of simply unintentionally reflecting the culture of the people, as is the case with most churches. I don’t get the whole ‘let’s pretend to be Christian cowboys’ approach, or the, ‘let’s pretend to be cool and trendy like the world to reach the world’ approach. Shouldn’t we all be just desiring to reflect the cultural values of Jesus Christ?

I have a friend in OK that attends a Cowboy Church. I've gotten the impression from her that is non-traditional in approach (meeting outside, come as you are) and ministers to people who naturally fit into that culture. Perhaps not true "cowboys" but it is a mostly rural culture, where a lot of people are farmers and wear jeans/boots, etc., daily already. It makes sense that it would appeal to people that do not necessarily wear or even own a suit and tie. "Come as you are and worship the Lord." And I can see where it would appeal to more men who might not be interested in dressing up. My friend's description is not that people are "pretending to be cowboys," but that it is for those feel more comfortable in that attire/setting already.

I think the "come as you are" church is widespread, it just depends on where you are as to how you dress. However, I associate a "come as you are" city church with contemporary worship supported by technology kind of church. It seems that in the "Cowboy" church (where ever its located) there is a focus on a ranch type setting (corral or rodeo set up) which is more "down-home" country/western/gospel style music. In stead of the pastor wearing an "Apple" shirt (as I have seen in the cool "city" churches) he wears a Wrangler's jean jacket (with the same degree of pride).

As long as the Gospel is preached and the Lord Jesus glorified, both are expressions of the Church. However, if the city church is about being tech cool and taking pride in its "inclusiveness" (no matter the lifestyle) or the cowboy church is about being a faux-cowhand that excludes "city folks" as pretentious, and treating "new" worship styles as wrong, both are missing the mark.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
11/11/17 12:17 pm

Post Re: Both right or wrong? Carolyn Smith
Mat wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

I think the "come as you are" church is widespread, it just depends on where you are as to how you dress. However, I associate a "come as you are" city church with contemporary worship supported by technology kind of church. It seems that in the "Cowboy" church (where ever its located) there is a focus on a ranch type setting (corral or rodeo set up) which is more "down-home" country/western/gospel style music. In stead of the pastor wearing an "Apple" shirt (as I have seen in the cool "city" churches) he wears a Wrangler's jean jacket (with the same degree of pride).

As long as the Gospel is preached and the Lord Jesus glorified, both are expressions of the Church. However, if the city church is about being tech cool and taking pride in its "inclusiveness" (no matter the lifestyle) or the cowboy church is about being a faux-cowhand that excludes "city folks" as pretentious, and treating "new" worship styles as wrong, both are missing the mark.

Mat

Agreed! Jesus being lifted up is the most important part. And any pride about our style of dress is just plain wrong.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/11/17 3:06 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Hey, the ole timer just thought a thing. Why not have a church what focuses on folk that used to believe woffie teaching, seen the light, an now they reconize it is error.

Yep, their motto could be: "I once decreed a thing, now to truth I cling."

Their song could be: "I had friends in low places, where error flowed an the truth was chased."

Hey, an their seminary could be called "Exegetical-Hermeneutical Theological Seminary."

Son, I like this.....................an we could have a book/cd/tape/video burning. So bring all the Copeland/Hagin/Murdock/Tilton/Hagee/Osteen/White-Cain/Howard-Browne/Dake/Hinn/Bentley/Bob Johnson/etc. stuff ya got an we'll light the sky with the flame of truth.
Acts-pert Poster
11/11/17 4:24 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic