Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Special Interest Churches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Special Interest Churches Da Sheik
They’re popping up everywhere. Biker Churches. Cowboy Churches. Hippy Churches. Christ is being preached and I rejoice in that. But does every special interest group need to splinter off into their own denomination?

I interviewed at a church maybe 15 years ago that had a very strong biker ministry. It was the tail that wagged the dog. They let me know in no uncertain terms that they wanted that to be the main focus of the church. I told them I would focus my efforts to reach everyone in the community and respectfully asked the overseer at the time to remove my name from consideration.
Acts Enthusiast
11/7/17 4:18 pm

Post Re: Special Interest Churches UncleJD
Da Sheik wrote:
They’re popping up everywhere. Biker Churches. Cowboy Churches. Hippy Churches. Christ is being preached and I rejoice in that. But does every special interest group need to splinter off into their own denomination?

I interviewed at a church maybe 15 years ago that had a very strong biker ministry. It was the tail that wagged the dog. They let me know in no uncertain terms that they wanted that to be the main focus of the church. I told them I would focus my efforts to reach everyone in the community and respectfully asked the overseer at the time to remove my name from consideration.

We visited a Cowboy Church recently. It was huge! The pastor's sermon was great too! But the praise and worship was embarassing, they did Hank Williams' "I saw the Light" and that was by far the most Biblical song they did. The other one was something about a street-walker who in the final verse "walks the streets with Jesus now". SMH
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/7/17 4:31 pm

Post Re: Special Interest Churches bonnie knox
I've sung at a cowboy church before. Next time, I plan to do Gordon Mote's "Mercy Walked In."

UncleJD wrote:
Da Sheik wrote:

We visited a Cowboy Church recently. It was huge! The pastor's sermon was great too! But the praise and worship was embarassing, they did Hank Williams' "I saw the Light" and that was by far the most Biblical song they did. The other one was something about a street-walker who in the final verse "walks the streets with Jesus now". SMH
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/7/17 4:40 pm

Post Re: Special Interest Churches UncleJD
bonnie knox wrote:
I've sung at a cowboy church before. Next time, I plan to do Gordon Mote's "Mercy Walked In."
[/quote]

If they had done "Jesus Take The Wheel", I could have possibly thought about the Lord for a minute or two at least. LOL, but to each their own. It seems to fill a niche in my part of the world that nobody else is doing I guess. I do get the OP point though, wish we had a place where everyone belonged at the same time. Too many "niche" churches.
11/7/17 5:39 pm

Post Cojak
We visited a COG in Tampa once that appeared to be 'Biker Friendly' maybe more so. Visited a Cowboy church in Okee, here in FL. Outstanding service, all Christ centered with several out reaches that were thriving. The church was open air, with the feeling of the old camp meeting. I did get a kick out of the baptismal in a horse trough. Smile

Maybe some use it as an excuse to leave a denomination when they are not happy there. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/7/17 7:16 pm

Post Da Sheik
I guess I find it difficult to understand why a church would have such a narrow focus/mission. I admit I may be biased since I’m neither a biker or a cowboy. Shouldn’t we try to reach everyone ...not just those with similar hobbies as we have? I’m sure these are God-fearing people who would welcome anyone. But what are the odds they’re going to attract those outside of their demographic? To me it seems a little self-centered. Acts Enthusiast
11/7/17 10:08 pm

Post diakoneo
Good marketing

It really doesn't surprise me given the fact that we have turned the church into a business using so much of the current world system as a guide. One of the things I remember from business class many years ago was the advantage of having a target market and I suppose that is what is going on.
11/7/17 10:55 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
I guess I find it difficult to understand why a church would have such a narrow focus/mission. I admit I may be biased since I’m neither a biker or a cowboy. Shouldn’t we try to reach everyone ...not just those with similar hobbies as we have? I’m sure these are God-fearing people who would welcome anyone. But what are the odds they’re going to attract those outside of their demographic? To me it seems a little self-centered.

Since the Okeechobbe (Cowboy) church was rural I didn't get the idea it was actually 'cowboy' centered, but more country people who could attend in their normal clothes without any intimidation. Maybe this one was unique but I had the feeling if I lived nearby, I might attend. But we only attended two times a year of so apart.

We are regular attendants at a few churches that way. Embarassed
11/7/17 10:58 pm

Post UncleJD
I think I actually "get" the Cowboy church and its success (the one by me runs near 1000). I think it has more to do with reaching men that feel alienated by today's society (both secular and church). Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/8/17 1:08 am

Post Da Sheik
UncleJD wrote:
I think I actually "get" the Cowboy church and its success (the one by me runs near 1000). I think it has more to do with reaching men that feel alienated by today's society (both secular and church).

I’m making judgements without having attended a single service at a cowboy or biker church, so I admit I may be wrong. I just assume that these are going to draw mostly white males who listen to southern rock or country music. My heart has always been to minister to every demographic in my community.
Acts Enthusiast
11/8/17 1:12 pm

Post UncleJD
Da Sheik wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
I think I actually "get" the Cowboy church and its success (the one by me runs near 1000). I think it has more to do with reaching men that feel alienated by today's society (both secular and church).

I’m making judgements without having attended a single service at a cowboy or biker church, so I admit I may be wrong. I just assume that these are going to draw mostly white males who listen to southern rock or country music. My heart has always been to minister to every demographic in my community.

I think you're right, but those are also guys that never went to church until these came along. I think it speaks to the churches ignoring the attack on masculinity in this country. I'd love for my pastor to show up with nice boots, buckle and a manly western shirt on. But I bet you half of the congregation would not welcome it as it represents something they aren't comfortable with.
11/8/17 1:18 pm

Post Cojak
UncleJD wrote:
Da Sheik wrote:
UncleJD wrote:

I think you're right, but those are also guys that never went to church until these came along. I think it speaks to the churches ignoring the attack on masculinity in this country. I'd love for my pastor to show up with nice boots, buckle and a manly western shirt on. But I bet you half of the congregation would not welcome it as it represents something they aren't comfortable with.

You said a lot in what I highlited. I think you might have hit the nail on the head. Where I went they had their family and some even had their dogs. Cool
11/8/17 10:23 pm

Post Cojak
This IS an interesting subject. Good post DS Cool
11/8/17 10:25 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
My heart has always been to minister to every demographic in my community.

I believe that is a worthy goal. The apostle Paul said he became a servant to all that he might gain the more. (1 Corinthians 9:19-22)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/9/17 8:39 am

Post I drive an F-150 and ... Mat
I drive an F-150 (4x4) and have a pair of Tony Lama Cowboy boots (with Mexican stacked heels), and I was a pastor in Phoenix, AZ for nine years, but I'm not a "cowboy" by any means, and I'm guessing most who attend a "cowboy church" are not either. They are identifying with a culture they do not live, and I would say "biker" churches are not about real "bikers" (what, are they 1%ers?), rather they like to dress in the leathers and ride their (very nice) bikes on weekends so they can put a picture of themselves (with their girlfriend or wife) on their Facebook page.

So, if you go to a bikers church you must wear leather (and it would be good to own a bike) and if you go to a cowboy church you must wear boots and a cowboy hat (plus a fancy belt buckle and a snap western shirt). I saw a "Hawaiian Church" on TV once where all the middle class white women had on grass skirts and lias (and the men Hawaiian shirts, shorts and sandals). The praise team did the hula as they led worship. The church was in Southern California, but I did not see one "Hawaiian" on stage or in the congregation.

These cultural dress up churches are little different than the robes, smells and bells of the "high churches" or the skinny jeans and T-shirts of the causal churches. I know, to each his own, but if you go to a "dress-up cultural church" if would be best not to condemn those old time Holiness folks, whose women did not cut their hair or wear pants, and those men wore their "Sunday Suit and tie". The person dressed as a cowboy, or as a biker, or as an Hawaiian, is by dress (and by what they drive) no more spiritual than the old-time holiness folks or the robe wearing priest as he chants the liturgy.

Mat

PS Anybody attend a beach church? Calvary Chapel, Chuck Smith's church, was next to the beach, and people in beach wear (including swim suits) were welcomed.
Acts Enthusiast
11/9/17 9:41 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
if you go to a cowboy church you must wear boots and a cowboy hat (plus a fancy belt buckle and a snap western shirt)

There are a couple of "cowboy churches" in our area. My husband has been to both of them; I've been to one of them. The one I went to was casual and there were lots of folks in just ordinary clothes like the jeans and T-shirts they would wear anytime. It didn't come across as particularly pretentious to me.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/9/17 10:02 am

Post Mat
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:
if you go to a cowboy church you must wear boots and a cowboy hat (plus a fancy belt buckle and a snap western shirt)

There are a couple of "cowboy churches" in our area. My husband has been to both of them; I've been to one of them. The one I went to was casual and there were lots of folks in just ordinary clothes like the jeans and T-shirts they would wear anytime. It didn't come across as particularly pretentious to me.

Bonnie,

I sure there are good folks who do not "adopt" the western or biker (or other) wear who attend these churches. However, I'm suggesting there is an equivalency in respect to the cultural garments (and identity) of the leadership of those churches who wear robes, or who where holiness attire.

I'm thinking about a "football" church with tailgating in the parking lot be for service. The praise team could be cheerleaders and we could all wear our church (team) colors. Everybody must stand for the national anthem and knee for prayer (do not get them confused). The gift shop could sell offical church shirts and gear, along with autographed Bibles (the pastor's that is).

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
11/9/17 11:18 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
So is cowboy church good or bad thing?

If it is good, why do all the old folks get chastised into having to like Hillsong songs and lights turned out for the worship service - so the young people will come?

Why don't we all get to have our niche?

All we had to do was call ourselves Cowboys and we wouldn't have had to change?
11/9/17 11:52 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Every church has a culture. The thing that makes me wonder about ‘cowboy’ and ‘biker’ churches (and for that matter, ‘seeker-friendly’ churches) is that in these cases the culture is likely a contrived or imposed one, instead of simply unintentionally reflecting the culture of the people, as is the case with most churches. I don’t get the whole ‘let’s pretend to be Christian cowboys’ approach, or the, ‘let’s pretend to be cool and trendy like the world to reach the world’ approach. Shouldn’t we all be just desiring to reflect the cultural values of Jesus Christ? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/9/17 12:43 pm

Post UncleJD
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Every church has a culture. The thing that makes me wonder about ‘cowboy’ and ‘biker’ churches (and for that matter, ‘seeker-friendly’ churches) is that in these cases the culture is likely a contrived or imposed one, instead of simply unintentionally reflecting the culture of the people, as is the case with most churches. I don’t get the whole ‘let’s pretend to be Christian cowboys’ approach, or the, ‘let’s pretend to be cool and trendy like the world to reach the world’ approach. Shouldn’t we all be just desiring to reflect the cultural values of Jesus Christ?

Strangely enough, the cowboy church I visited was far from "seeker friendly" in the "traditional sense". i.e. the preacher was preaching against sin, and even that the "judge not" sentiment of the seeker-friendly movement was hogwash! So, I really think they believe they are bunch of cowboys. This is Texas so I assume they are right. I like to "cowboy up" myself every once in a while and I appreciated being able to do it in Church. But yeah, it was a bit strange to me. Obviously not to the near 1000 there though. I don't know where to classify the Cowboy Church to be honest. Its Cowboy-friendly for sure, not really "seeker friendly" so much...
11/9/17 5:49 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic