Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

“Should Christians Keep the Sabbath Day”, by Dr. Lee Roy Martin, Pentecostal Theological Seminary.

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post “Should Christians Keep the Sabbath Day”, by Dr. Lee Roy Martin, Pentecostal Theological Seminary. Steve Norris
This response was written by a dear friend of mine, Pastor Dave Ryder.

This paper is a response by Pastor Dave Ryder, a Seventh-day Adventist pastor in Tennessee, to the paper, “Should Christians Keep the Sabbath Day”, by Dr. Lee Roy Martin, Pentecostal Theological Seminary. I will refer to this statement of belief by Dr. Lee Roy Martin and released by the D&B Committee as the “paper” throughout my response. Please note that even though I, Pastor Dave Ryder, may not agree with some of the statements in this paper, I am responding with Christian and brotherly love and respect for my Pentecostal brother and sisters in the ministry. We are brothers and sisters and the devil is our common enemy!

In the opening paragraph, the following statement was made, “Some Christian groups insist that the Old Testament law of the Sabbath is still in force today and that Christians must worship on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath.” May I humbly suggest that this statement is not Biblically accurate and thus it is not difficult to prove that an incorrect statement is not correct. Please let me explain:

The Bible never refers to the seventh-day Sabbath as the “Old Testament law of the Sabbath”. It is true that the Sabbath day is mentioned numerous times in the Old Testament, but is also mentioned 59 times in some variation in the Greek New Testament. Sunday, or as it is called in the New Testament, the “first day of the week”, is only mentioned eight times in the New Testament and is never called a Holy day. Also, the Bible never calls the seventh-day Sabbath, “Jewish”. As a matter of fact, brought out in the paper, the Sabbath originated at Creation (Genesis 2:1-3), long before there was ever a Jew. The term Jew or Jewish was first used in Jeremiah 34:9, during the 6th century BC, long after Creation, the Flood, Moses, or even Isaiah. Isaiah, in the 8th century BC, stated that the Sabbath is not just for literal Israel but also for “foreigners” (Isaiah 56:2,3). Even Jesus stated in Mark 2:27 that the seventh-day Sabbath was made for mankind (Greek: Anthropos but translated “man” in the NKJV). Anthropos means everyone, all of mankind, not just the “Jews”. Please note that the Sabbath was given at Creation (Genesis 2:1-3), reiterated at the time of Moses (Exodus chapter 16 before Mt. Sinai), given by God Himself at Mt. Sinai (Exodus 20:8-11), kept during Old Testament times (Nehemiah 13:15-17), exampled by Jesus (Luke 4:16), kept during the early New Testament church (Acts 13:42,44; Acts 16:13; Acts 17:2-4; Acts 18:4), and will be kept throughout eternity by the saved on the New Earth (Isaiah 66:22,23). So why would we not be “keeping” the seventh-day Sabbath holy now?

Please allow me respond to the following paragraph in the paper:
“The Church’s official position is found in the Church of God Practical Commitments:
Sunday is the Christian day of worship. As the Lord’s Day, it commemorates the resurrection of Christ from the dead (Matthew 28:1) and should be employed for worship, fellowship, Christian service, teaching, evangelism, and proclamation (Acts 20:7; Romans 14:5, 6; 1 Corinthians 16:2; Colossians 2:16, 17).”

First, the Bible never calls Sunday, the Biblical first day of the week, the Lord’s Day. Jesus, Our Lord and Savior, stated that the Sabbath was the Lord’s Day in Mark 2:28 and Luke 6:5. Second, the Roman Catholic Church originated and uses the argument that because Christ rose again on the first day of the week, Sunday, it is to be considered sacred or holy. Notice this statement from The Convert’s Catechism of Catholic Doctrine by Rev. Peter Geiermann, page 50:
“We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.”
“The Church substituted Sunday for Saturday, because Christ rose from the dead on Sunday, . .”

There is no Biblical authority to “change” the Fourth Commandment from the seventh-day Sabbath to Sunday, the first day of the week.

Also notice that in this same paragraph from the paper that Acts 20:7 is sited as proof for Sunday to be a sacred or holy day. This verse states that the disciples were together on the first day of the week and that Paul preached until midnight. As mentioned in the paper, a Biblical day is from sundown to sundown, so Biblically speaking, the first day of the week is really from sundown Saturday night to sundown Sunday. The ONLY way to have “midnight” on the first day of the week is what we call Saturday night. This means that Paul was preaching to them on Saturday night, in our modern language, not Sunday morning. Notice what he did the very next morning, Sunday morning, just a few verses later in Acts 20:11. The Bible states that Paul went on a trip on Sunday morning. Paul never treated what we call “Sunday” as a holy day or even a day for congregational worship. It was just another common work day as the Fourth Commandment of the Ten Commandments, God’s everlasting moral Law, states that it should be, “Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work; But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: . .” in Exodus 20:9,10. Notice that Sunday, the first day of the week, is considered by God as a normal work day (one of the six) and not like the seventh day which is to be kept as the Sabbath, Holy. Also, God even commanded us to work on the first day of the week (just as He did the second, third, etc., just not on the Seventh). This is also why Paul told the church at Corinth (I Cor. 16:2) to be concerned with personal finances (laying money aside to be given as an offering) on the first day of the week and not on the Sabbath.

Continuing on in my response to this same paragraph. The author sites Romans 14:5,6. The Ten Commandments, God’s moral Law, is not part of the discussion and neither is the Sabbath day mentioned in the context. This passage is discussing “doubtful disputations” (KJV) or “disputes over doubtful things” (NKJV) as is stated in Romans 14:1. The Ten Commandments (including the Sabbath) were never considered “doubtful” by Paul. Notice what he says about the Ten Commandments in Romans 7:12 (NKJV), “Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.” Also in I Corinthians 7:19 (NKJV), Paul states, “keeping the commandments of God is what matters.”

Colossians 2:16,17 is also not discussing the seventh day Sabbath, but annual sabbaths. Notice in the NKJV that when is it discussing the seventh day Sabbath, this version of the Bible capitalizes the word “Sabbath”, but when it is discussing the ceremonial law or annual sabbaths, it uses lower case “s” to differentiate between the moral Law, the Ten Commandments and the ceremonial law, which Christ fulfilled at the cross as the true Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world. Notice the context for Colossians 2:16 is found in verse 17, “which are a shadow of things to come”. Hebrews 10:1 (NKJV) defines what is a shadow of things to come: “For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, . . .” Notice that the ceremonial law of sacrifices was a shadow of things to come and not the moral Law, the Ten Commandments. Read Leviticus chapter twenty three. It lists the annual sabbaths which were a part of the ceremonial law and then states that the weekly Sabbath is not part of this group (see v. 37 & 38 in particular, notice the word “besides” in the NKJV).

In the paper, the following is stated:
“Although Christians are not “under the law” as a means of salvation, we are still required to live righteously (Romans 6) and to keep God’s commandments (1 John 5:2). The New Testament instructs believers to obey all the Ten Commandments except for the commandment to keep the Sabbath Day. The Sabbath commandment is the only one of the Ten Commandments that is not repeated in the New Testament.”

This particular paragraph is puzzling to me. The author states that the Ten Commandments should be kept by Christians today except the Fourth Commandment. Where in the New Testament does it states this? The Sabbath Commandment is mentioned more times than any other Commandment in the New Testament. I have already given a few examples, you can type the word Sabbath in your Bible software search programs and see for yourself that Jesus and the New Testament church in the book of Acts kept the seventh day Sabbath. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus stated in Matthew 5:18 that the least letter or portion of a letter will not change from the law “till heaven and earth pass away”. (Also notice the warning given in verse 19.) Why was the Ten Commandments written in stone by the finger of God Himself? (The only part of the Bible that God wrote with His own hand in stone. Exodus 31:18, Deut. 10:4) Stone symbolizes that it will NOT change (Malachi 4:2, Hebrews 13:8). God spoke the Ten Commandments at Mt. Sinai, not through Moses. Notice that Psalm 89:34 states that He, God, will not alter what has gone out of His lips. Even Jesus stated in Matthew 24:20, when He was telling His disciples about the coming destruction of the city of Jerusalem, “And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath.” The destruction of Jerusalem did not occur until 70 AD, 39 years after Jesus made this statement in Matthew 24! Jesus saw that the seventh-day Sabbath would be kept by the early New Testament church (as the Book of Acts confirms).

Let me explain why the devil wants Christians to “break” the law of God in the next paragraph.

Isaiah 59:2 states that sin separates us from God. This is the devil’s purpose for us. Remember, the devil (aka satan) is the enemy of us all. I John 3:4 tells us that breaking the moral Law of God is the definition of sin. James 2:10-12 states that if you break one of the Ten Commandments, the Law of God, it is the same as breaking them all! The devil doesn’t care which commandment we break as long as we are breaking at least one of them. Worldly people, the ones not responding to the Holy Spirit and not seeking after God, the devil already has them deceived, so his concern is for us as Bible believing Christians. He is trying to get us to separate ourselves from God since the devil cannot snatch us out of God’s hand. We have to choose to separate ourselves from God by continuing in sin, and all the devil has to do is to deceive us to willingly disobey one of God’s Ten Commandments on a continual basis. Which one of the Ten Commandments is the devil most successful at getting professed Christians to disobey? All of us as Christians can agree and believe we should keep nine of the Ten Commandments, so the one that the devil focuses on to deceive us as Christians is the Fourth Commandment. The Bible even predicted this would happen here at the end of time. Notice how God’s end-time people, called the remnant in the KJV, are described in the Bible:
Revelation 12:17, “And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.” Also in Revelation 14:12, “Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.”

What is the common description of God’s end-time people? They keep the Commandments of God. This includes the Fourth or Sabbath Commandment since James 2:10 states that if we break one, it is the same as breaking them all. Also notice in Revelation 14:12 that the people who DO NOT receive the Mark of the Beast are described as keeping the Commandments of God.

This is an extremely important topic for us as Christians here at the end of time. The Bible implies that the Commandments of God, all of them, will be attacked by satan and that God’s faithful will not give in to the devil’s deceptions. Please study this topic carefully and just follow the Bible as it reads.

The Biblical definition of eternal life is found in John 17:3. It states that knowing Jesus is (or results in) eternal life. So a very important question would be, “How do we know that we know Christ?” The answer is given in I john 2:3, “And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.” Jesus said in John 14:15, “If you love Me, keep My Commandments.” The Bible tells us that Jesus Christ is the One who wrote the Ten Commandments at Mt. Sinai (Isaiah 33:22, Psalm 60:7, James 4:12) and lived them as the sinless One so that He could die on the cross for our sins. (Praise the LORD!) He is also the one talked about in Matthew 1:21, “He will save His people from their sins.” Since sin is breaking the Ten Commandments (I John 3:4) then Jesus is trying to save us from breaking the Ten Commandments. If we resist and continue in breaking the moral Law of God then we will be lost. Notice that the Holy Spirit is given to those who obey God (Acts 5:32). Continual disobedience results in grieving the Holy Spirit. Something I know that NONE of us want to do!

Well I have probably written enough at this point in time. Please prayerfully read and compare with the Bible. For the Bible is truly our measuring stick and the ultimate authority in all spiritual matters. God Bless. Pastor Dave Ryder
Hey, DOC
11/7/17 1:34 pm

Post bradfreeman
Too much to tackle...

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
11/7/17 2:58 pm

Post UncleJD
We're not Jewish. The early church, not the Roman Catholic church met on Sundays from day 1. Nothing new here. Judaizers gonna Judaiz. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/7/17 3:43 pm

Post Da Sheik
What amazes me is how different special interest groups allow themselves to be defined by some peripheral issue. 7th day groups live to debate the proper day of worship. The independent Baptists spend all their time crusading for the KJV. Surely the devil rejoices in such folly. Acts Enthusiast
11/7/17 4:10 pm

Post Uncle JD...from day one? Aaron Scott
UncleJD wrote:
We're not Jewish. The early church, not the Roman Catholic church met on Sundays from day 1. Nothing new here. Judaizers gonna Judaiz.

Are you claiming that they met on Sunday INSTEAD of the Sabbath (which is the current formulation of how the church operates today)?

Show me.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/7/17 6:22 pm

Post Re: Uncle JD...from day one? UncleJD
Aaron Scott wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
We're not Jewish. The early church, not the Roman Catholic church met on Sundays from day 1. Nothing new here. Judaizers gonna Judaiz.

Are you claiming that they met on Sunday INSTEAD of the Sabbath (which is the current formulation of how the church operates today)?

Show me.

You can read, Tertullian, Origen, other early Christian writings where the Lord's day is the first day of the week and supersedes the Sabbath.

example from Tertullian -

Quote:
On the day of the resurrection of the Lord, that is, the Lord’s day, assemble yourselves together, without fail, giving thanks to God, and praising Him for those mercies God has bestowed upon you through Christ, and has delivered you from ignorance, error, and bondage, that your sacrifice may be unspotted, and acceptable to God . .

from Origen
Quote:
On the first day of the week let there be service, and the reading of the Holy Scriptures . . . because on the first day of the week our Lord rose from the place of the dead, and on the first day of the week He arose upon the world, and on the first day of the week He ascended up to heaven, and on the first day of the week He will appear at last with the angels of heaven
[/quote]
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/7/17 6:35 pm

Post Chicago27
Da Sheik wrote:
What amazes me is how different special interest groups allow themselves to be defined by some peripheral issue. 7th day groups live to debate the proper day of worship. The independent Baptists spend all their time crusading for the KJV. Surely the devil rejoices in such folly.

We do the same with issues such as initial evidence.
Friendly Face
11/7/17 7:08 pm

Post Cojak
Chicago27 wrote:
Da Sheik wrote:
What amazes me is how different special interest groups allow themselves to be defined by some peripheral issue. 7th day groups live to debate the proper day of worship. The independent Baptists spend all their time crusading for the KJV. Surely the devil rejoices in such folly.

I don't!, just sayin'. I do think that was the case years ago... Shocked Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/7/17 7:26 pm

Post diakoneo
Do these seventh day folks truly honor the Sabbath? Do they turn on the electricity, start up the car, go to a restaurant...? I mean if they are going to really do it shouldn't they do it right?

Exo 35:3  Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the sabbath day. 

Christ is our Sabbath and we can rest in Him
11/7/17 10:13 pm

Post Da Sheik
diakoneo wrote:
Do these seventh day folks truly honor the Sabbath? Do they turn on the electricity, start up the car, go to a restaurant...? I mean if they are going to really do it shouldn't they do it right?

Exo 35:3  Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the sabbath day. 

Christ is our Sabbath and we can rest in Him

That’s the problem w mixing law and grace. If you choose to be under the law you have to keep the whole law, not just the parts you like. Same with tithing. How many truly tithe as prescribed by the law ?
Acts Enthusiast
11/7/17 10:20 pm

Post Da Sheik
Cojak wrote:
Chicago27 wrote:
Da Sheik wrote:

I don't!, just sayin'. I do think that was the case years ago... Shocked Wink

I don’t either. I don’t believe in exalting any peripheral issue over the Gospel of Christ. But we see it all the time. Take the UPC for example. Their entire mission is to prove that “Oneness” is truth. When you embrace error, you’re forced to spend the majority of your efforts defending your position. Nothing is more fruitless than debating the sabbath day with SDA, debating bible translations with independent Baptists, or debating the Trinity with UPC folks.

To define in political jargon...I call these “one issue “ voters.
Acts Enthusiast
11/7/17 10:45 pm

Post bradfreeman
Da Sheik wrote:
That’s the problem w mixing law and grace. If you choose to be under the law you have to keep the whole law, not just the parts you like. Same with tithing. How many truly tithe as prescribed by the law ?

Answer: None.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
11/9/17 4:41 pm

Post Mixing law and grace? Steve Norris
Everyone that is talking about law vs grace... consider two points. 1) there was indeed sabbaths associated with ceremonial law, which was nailed to the cross, but there is also the seventh day Sabbath that was introduced at creation and reiterated in the ten commandments, the moral law, that reflects the character of God. 2) If we were discussing any of there 9 commandments, I wonder how our reasoning would change... for example: adultery... "oh well, we should mix the law and grace, only preach the gospel..." or lying, or idolatry... etc....

Also, please do not confuse the requirements of the ceremonial sabbaths with the seventh day Sabbath instituted at creation. There were lots of "do's" and "don'ts" associated with the ceremonial sabbaths... but as to the seventh day Sabbath, we are to set it aside to honor God and His creation...

End the end, it does not matter about my opinion, it is what God's Word says that matters.

Also, we all pretty much believe that Christ was crucified on Friday and rose from the dead on Sunday, hence many of us think we are to honor the 1st day of the week and no longer the seventh... but think about it... Christ was crucified on Friday and arose on Sunday... Christ, our ULTIMATE example, even in death, honored the seventh day Sabbath...
Hey, DOC
11/10/17 5:20 pm

Post Re: Mixing law and grace? UncleJD
Steve Norris wrote:
... Christ, our ULTIMATE example, even in death, honored the seventh day Sabbath...

When he was freeing the captive Saints from the grave?
11/10/17 5:35 pm

Post Steve Norris
His resurrection is what free the captives. When Christ conquered death hell and the grave, that brought the freedom to the captives. Hey, DOC
11/10/17 7:26 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic