Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Have you Learned something new today?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Have you Learned something new today? Cojak
Today I read a friend's blog, she is also an old chick but less than 70. She asked the questions, "Did you learn something new today?"

I do think that is a great Idea, learn. It is also a good philosophy. at any age.

I am one of the late bloomers in Charity information. I have probably said it here, but I had always thought positions iin Charity organizations like the Red Cross, was voluntary. Like the little guys who volunteer their time. I didn't learn of my ignorance until Mr Dole ran for president and I learned his wife was paid $750,000 a year as the CEO. I about fell over.

Now just tonight our 'late' friend (on ACTS) Eddie, came back to say he was planning to run in the Boston Marathon. He is running for cancer research and its cure. It is a cause I do support. He asked for donors, so of course I did, since I feel strongly about it'. The filthy, rotten, sorry disease that has taken many good folks I know.

Anyway I did a little research. I had no idea the costs and challenges of running in the marathon. Now I am wondering, does it cost to run in marathons?

Learn a little every day! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/11/17 11:24 pm

Post Da Sheik
Yes! I passed official "retirement" age a few years ago. I started noticing little things about my memory and purposed in my heart to attempt to learn something daily. Whether it was a new word, or just a useless fact.

I've got several volumes of Encyclopedias but Google has proven to be a great friend. Kudos to our brother Eddie who has inspired us. Hopefully he will post here again one day.
Acts Enthusiast
10/11/17 11:34 pm

Post bonnie knox
The great thing about getting old and forgetful is that you can learn the same new things over and over again. Embarassed

Okay, today I learned that Karl Barth is pronounced Karl "Bart." I'm going to count that.

Sunday, I learned that a lady who passed away whom I claimed not to have known was actually someone I knew of. I don't know if that counts as learning something, but it was a rather impactful realization.
When my husband came home from the funeral, I recognized the maiden name as someone mentioned by the lady I rented a room from when I was a young woman. Sure enough, the info on the back of the bulletin listed her mother and sister, whom I knew from the church I attended over 20 years ago. Small world.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/12/17 11:20 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:
I learned that Karl Barth is pronounced Karl "Bart." I'm going to count that.

Very good!

Now the next word is Neanderthal. It's pronounced "Nee-And-Er-Tall."

The one at always got the ole timer is the word Colonel, pronounced "Kernel." I done looked up, down, sideways, satellite view, microscope.........................an I still ain't fount no "R" in at word Colonel. Shocked
Acts-pert Poster
10/12/17 1:18 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Now the next word is Neanderthal. It's pronounced "Nee-And-Er-Tall."

I'm sticking with the "h" in that word. It is one of the alternative pronunciations, and that's good enough for me.
But I guess if anyone calls you a Neanderthal, you can tell them they are pronouncing it wrong and let them know who the dummy is, lol.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/12/17 3:06 pm

Post Re: Have you Learned something new today? Eddie Robbins
Cojak wrote:
Today I read a friend's blog, she is also an old chick but less than 70. She asked the questions, "Did you learn something new today?"

I do think that is a great Idea, learn. It is also a good philosophy. at any age.

I am one of the late bloomers in Charity information. I have probably said it here, but I had always thought positions iin Charity organizations like the Red Cross, was voluntary. Like the little guys who volunteer their time. I didn't learn of my ignorance until Mr Dole ran for president and I learned his wife was paid $750,000 a year as the CEO. I about fell over.

Now just tonight our 'late' friend (on ACTS) Eddie, came back to say he was planning to run in the Boston Marathon. He is running for cancer research and its cure. It is a cause I do support. He asked for donors, so of course I did, since I feel strongly about it'. The filthy, rotten, sorry disease that has taken many good folks I know.

Anyway I did a little research. I had no idea the costs and challenges of running in the marathon. Now I am wondering, does it cost to run in marathons?

They are all different. As for Boston, the marathon gives several organizations entries but each individual pays for it. In other words, I have to pay about $600 of my own money that goes to the Boston Marathon for my entry fee. The reason is that it is a very special privilege to run it. All of the money that is raised goes directly to Dana-Farber Cancer Institute at Harvard. None of that goes to the marathon as I have paid that portion myself. Also, my travel. But, it’s a once in a lifetime experience for me.

A for other marathons, there are sponsors who pay for the marathon. You may have seen all the sponsors on the backs of tee-shirts. If the marathon is for a charity, you would have to investigate each one to make sure where the money goes. It’s like anything else. Thanks, again for your support!
Acts-pert Poster
10/12/17 3:24 pm

Post Re: Have you Learned something new today? Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Cojak wrote:

They are all different. As for Boston, the marathon gives several organizations entries but each individual pays for it. In other words, I have to pay about $600 of my own money that goes to the Boston Marathon for my entry fee. The reason is that it is a very special privilege to run it. All of the money that is raised goes directly to Dana-Farber Cancer Institute at Harvard. None of that goes to the marathon as I have paid that portion myself. Also, my travel. But, it’s a once in a lifetime experience for me.

A for other marathons, there are sponsors who pay for the marathon. You may have seen all the sponsors on the backs of tee-shirts. If the marathon is for a charity, you would have to investigate each one to make sure where the money goes. It’s like anything else. Thanks, again for your support!

Thumb Up Now I will have a reason to watch! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/12/17 11:46 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic