Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

A (sad) thought about healing....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Link
I don't think healing is distributed evenly among Pentecostals. It some people see a lot of it, and other people see it occasionally if at all.

I notice that Stephen was a man full of faith and power. Both seem to be necessary for healing.

It could be that some Pentecostal arguments that healing is guaranteed that are tenuous, just aren't right. Is healing always guaranteed, all the time, in the atonement.

If could be that some Pentecostals just don't really pray the prayer of faith, that there are doubts. In order for the mountain to go in the sea, one has to command it in faith, but not only, he also has to not doubt.

It could be that some of the teaching and the attitude that comes out of preachers who just haven't seen any supernatural, spectacular healing much if effects their own faith and the faith of others.

There is one passage that seems to be an iron clad guarantee of healing as long as there is faith, the one in James 5 about the prayer of faith from the elders saving the sick. James 1 has an iron clad promise for wisdom, too, but again, there can be no doubt.

I read a bit of John Calvin's commentary on James 5 and elders healing a while back. It was depressing the lack of faith for healing in that commentary. I wonder if we do a bit of the same thing.
10/11/17 7:37 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Oral Roberts also told about a man who worked for him for many years that had a heart attack and was not doing well. The doctors didn't really expect him to make it. The man's daughter requested that Oral come and pray for him. Oral Roberts came to the hospital and prayed kind of an ordinary prayer over him. His daughter got up and said, "No, Brother Roberts, we need a TENT prayer! We don't have time for you to pray a prayer that doesn't have any power." So Oral Roberts prayed for the man again, this time with power and unction, and the man was healed by the power of God.

I wonder if this happened before or after Oral saw the 800 feet tall Jesus?
Acts-pert Poster
10/11/17 8:22 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Oral Roberts also told about a man who worked for him for many years that had a heart attack and was not doing well. The doctors didn't really expect him to make it. The man's daughter requested that Oral come and pray for him. Oral Roberts came to the hospital and prayed kind of an ordinary prayer over him. His daughter got up and said, "No, Brother Roberts, we need a TENT prayer! We don't have time for you to pray a prayer that doesn't have any power." So Oral Roberts prayed for the man again, this time with power and unction, and the man was healed by the power of God.

I don't reckon that mattered to the man that was healed.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/11/17 5:55 pm

Carolyn Smith wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

I don't reckon that mattered to the man that was healed.

Don't reckon so, if he was healed, an somebody wasn't just tellin a story.
Acts-pert Poster
10/11/17 9:45 pm

Post Da Sheik
My dad's sister was severely injured as a result of a horse riding accident. Doctors gave her little hope for a normal life. Desperate for help, dad took her to an OR healing crusade. What he witnessed was awful. They screened certain people before calling them to the platform. My aunt never had a chance to be prayed for by the great "faith healer ".

We always hear about great miracles happening on the other side of the world. None of them can be corroborated of course. So the conclusion we must come to is that only 3rd-world Christians are worthy of such miracles. If you detect a note of sarcasm in my post then your gift of discernment is working well.

I absolutely believe that God heals. But I don't believe it's limited to those in foreign countries.
Acts Enthusiast
10/11/17 10:44 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
My dad's sister was severely injured as a result of a horse riding accident. Doctors gave her little hope for a normal life. Desperate for help, dad took her to an OR healing crusade. What he witnessed was awful. They screened certain people before calling them to the platform. My aunt never had a chance to be prayed for by the great "faith healer ".

We always hear about great miracles happening on the other side of the world. None of them can be corroborated of course. So the conclusion we must come to is that only 3rd-world Christians are worthy of such miracles. If you detect a note of sarcasm in my post then your gift of discernment is working well.

I absolutely believe that God heals. But I don't believe it's limited to those in foreign countries.

A terrific, timely and honest comment. My heart breaks knowing YOur first 6 sentences mirrors stories I have heard from folks in the 50-60's eras.
To be honest that information assisted in me becoming very agnostic/ atheist in my very soul.

My personal spiritual health now survives because I give to causes (church wise) that are local or I KNOW the individual's life or work. I must guard against judging, and pray for my own continued salvation. Even tonight my heart breaks for your dad, and the facts he 'learned'. Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/11/17 11:37 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I am sure this kind of thing happened, but I've also heard that OR had the more severe cases prayed for in a tent because they had been gawked at enough (something like that.) And as I stated earlier, he looked for someone with faith to pray for because it built the faith of others there to see someone healed. I've heard of the screening process earlier, and I'm not trying to defend that. OR was a human like the rest of us, but there were many healed through his ministry (despite the 800 foot Jesus in later years.)

With that said, I've heard similar stories of some of our great COG men of faith who would simply skip the more severe cases. It's very disheartening and discouraging to these people and their families. Sad

But the question was about miracles, so I was sharing a few stories I am familiar with. BTW, Oral Roberts biography or autobiography (don't remember which it is) is a very good read, if you are interested.
10/12/17 6:28 am

Post This is not going to go well in some quarters in this little universe of ACTS brotherjames
but, here it is anyway.

First of all just an FYI to Carolyn, just like nearly every other well known person who writes a book about their lives etc. Oral Roberts had a ghost writer. Shocker, I know. She was a good writer however and that's why Oral's books are good reads. My friend Yvonne was his ghost writer and she had a ministry of her own as well. An anointed speaker and also anointed to pray for the sick with some success.

My wife's father was saved in an Oral Roberts tent in 1955 after seeing the miracles and receiving one himself at a meeting in Harrisburg, PA. As a result, he dragged his family all over the East Coast to Oral's meetings. My wife was raised in the sawdust of tents sleeping on the pews and she has many tales of the supernatural power of God manifesting in those meetings and it still is happening today in our ministry although as I mentioned earlier, often more so overseas than in America (and I can substantiate those healings too).

One of my friend Yvonne's jobs was not just to write and edit books and newsletters but she also traveled the country following up the healing miracles. She maintained a record of the many miracles 1, 5 and 10 years out from the miracle. Many people did in fact lose their healing but most of those who lost it did not maintain much if any relationship with God after the healing. The majority of people healed in the crusade DID keep their healings even 10 years out. This was verified by doctor's reports and other testimonies and she got the paper trail where possible.

It has been mentioned and inferred that men like Oral and AA Allen and COG pastors avoid the hard cases and unverifiable when they pray for masses of people. Perhaps some local pastors might, I can't say but that was NOT the case with Oral or AA. They did have people fill out cards with their personal info so they could be followed up upon and their sicknesses but the seriousness of their sickness had nothing to do with being prayed for according to Yvonne and others. AA made those who would be prayed for in the night big tent meeting go to a morning and an evening meeting to be taught about Jesus and faith. Another friend and AG pastor Joe Frano often taught the AM meeting and RW Schambach taught the afternoon meeting and then the people would come to the night meetings to be prayed for by AA and whether you like Oral or AA (and they were flawed men to be sure) undeniable miracles occurred.

Go to youtube and look at some of those meeting of Oral Roberts and AA Allen if you want to see some amazing things. Just as an example, my wife said the most amazing thing she ever saw in an Oral Roberts meeting was when he prayed for a blind boy who was blind in one eye and had no eye at all in the other socket. After Oral prayed for some serious length of time and more than once, the boy could see. Not out of the eye with the eyeball but out of the socket where there was no eye. After more prayer, his other eye was healed too. Yvonne remembered that dramatic healing and said the boy could still see 5 years out but when she went to contact him for the 10 yr anniv. he had passed away. But that was very powerful and the whole town buzzed about it afterward. My wife said it was in New Jersey somewhere when she was about 7 or 8 yrs old.

There you go. Chew on that one.
Acts-celerater
10/12/17 1:49 pm

Post Re: This is not going to go well in some quarters in this little universe of ACTS Carolyn Smith
brotherjames wrote:
but, here it is anyway.

First of all just an FYI to Carolyn, just like nearly every other well known person who writes a book about their lives etc. Oral Roberts had a ghost writer. Shocker, I know. She was a good writer however and that's why Oral's books are good reads. My friend Yvonne was his ghost writer and she had a ministry of her own as well. An anointed speaker and also anointed to pray for the sick with some success.

My wife's father was saved in an Oral Roberts tent in 1955 after seeing the miracles and receiving one himself at a meeting in Harrisburg, PA. As a result, he dragged his family all over the East Coast to Oral's meetings. My wife was raised in the sawdust of tents sleeping on the pews and she has many tales of the supernatural power of God manifesting in those meetings and it still is happening today in our ministry although as I mentioned earlier, often more so overseas than in America (and I can substantiate those healings too).

One of my friend Yvonne's jobs was not just to write and edit books and newsletters but she also traveled the country following up the healing miracles. She maintained a record of the many miracles 1, 5 and 10 years out from the miracle. Many people did in fact lose their healing but most of those who lost it did not maintain much if any relationship with God after the healing. The majority of people healed in the crusade DID keep their healings even 10 years out. This was verified by doctor's reports and other testimonies and she got the paper trail where possible.

It has been mentioned and inferred that men like Oral and AA Allen and COG pastors avoid the hard cases and unverifiable when they pray for masses of people. Perhaps some local pastors might, I can't say but that was NOT the case with Oral or AA. They did have people fill out cards with their personal info so they could be followed up upon and their sicknesses but the seriousness of their sickness had nothing to do with being prayed for according to Yvonne and others. AA made those who would be prayed for in the night big tent meeting go to a morning and an evening meeting to be taught about Jesus and faith. Another friend and AG pastor Joe Frano often taught the AM meeting and RW Schambach taught the afternoon meeting and then the people would come to the night meetings to be prayed for by AA and whether you like Oral or AA (and they were flawed men to be sure) undeniable miracles occurred.

Go to youtube and look at some of those meeting of Oral Roberts and AA Allen if you want to see some amazing things. Just as an example, my wife said the most amazing thing she ever saw in an Oral Roberts meeting was when he prayed for a blind boy who was blind in one eye and had no eye at all in the other socket. After Oral prayed for some serious length of time and more than once, the boy could see. Not out of the eye with the eyeball but out of the socket where there was no eye. After more prayer, his other eye was healed too. Yvonne remembered that dramatic healing and said the boy could still see 5 years out but when she went to contact him for the 10 yr anniv. he had passed away. But that was very powerful and the whole town buzzed about it afterward. My wife said it was in New Jersey somewhere when she was about 7 or 8 yrs old.

Actually, that does not surprise me. We were at PTL for 4 1/2 years so I am aware that many ministers use ghost writers. Not a biggie in my book. I love the faith stories and the miracle stories.

I used to listen to RW Schambach a lot growing up and always loved his faith stories, also. His daughter Donna has continued his ministry and does crusades overseas.

Perry Stone's dad used to tell a story about a boy he saw healed that didn't have irises (the colored part of the eye). I'm not sure about the minister, but I think it was AA Allen. It might have been OR. I'm not sure. Perry's dad was standing nearby when the boy was prayed for and saw the creative miracle happen with his own eyes. The minister prayed for the boy, and they watched the blue swirl on the whites of his eyes until he had blue eyes and he was totally, miraculously healed by the power of God before it was all over. I am just crazy enough to believe God can do that kind of thing!

From what I understand, Oral Roberts left the PH denomination because he got so much negative feedback from his Pentecostal brothers. It's interesting to study about some of the men of God that were used in the 50s during the "Healing revival" that took place then. At least three or four of those ministers had TB has a young man (including OR) and were on their deathbeds when God healed them and called them to preach. They knew and understood the power of God personally and had experienced miracles themselves.

I have heard stories about the tents with the sicker folks and read about some of it, but I don't recall the details. The COG minister I mentioned was well known and the person who told about his son being skipped was a minister and a friend of my dad's. I think the thing about them having to attend a couple of services and hear about faith are good ideas.

If we don't believe God for miracles, we sure won't see them happen, and there is little in our church culture that causes us to believe for them much any more, unless we are desperate. And even then, in some places it's hard to muster up enough faith to have that of a mustard seed! I think our negativity and lack of faith has a lot to do with our not seeing miracles, as well as people not being willing to pay the price in fasting and prayer.

We have seen many financial miracles in our lives. God has been faithful to us and blessed us at times in ways we could not imagine.

Thanks for sharing, Brotherjames.
10/12/17 9:25 pm

Post Re: This is not going to go well in some quarters in this little universe of ACTS Nature Boy Florida
brotherjames wrote:

Many people did in fact lose their healing but most of those who lost it did not maintain much if any relationship with God after the healing.

I have a serious problem with this statement.

Is God some type of petty, Donald Trump in the sky that takes away "supposed" healings - that weren't really healings at all - but health loans that are taken away if you get out of line?

"Hey Guido, go snatch that healing back - send a message" (said in Godfather voice) Evil or Very Mad

We live in the NT age now.
10/13/17 7:16 am

Post OTCP, you are letting the devil use you. Aaron Scott
Carolyn Smith wrote:

What a spiteful person you show yourself to be. We are speaking of healing, and all you want to do is dredge up some controversial element in Oral Roberts' life. You seem to revel in undermining anything--ANYTHING--that smacks of there being true healing at the hands of anyone who doesn't see like you think it should be seen.

Do you think you are more like Jesus or Satan when you "inspire" doubt and disbelief?

I'm betting that if you were around when the Apostle Peter was around, you'd be happy to remind us, after every healing or every inspired epistle, "This is the same guy that denied the Lord three times...what a shame."

You either have some serious issues you need to address...or perhaps you just have such a need for attention that you simply will say anything to get a rise.

I'm sure that the real you is much nicer than the parody, but a parody that is cruel and mean-spirited surely has more than a kernel of the real you shining through.

Last edited by Aaron Scott on 10/13/17 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
10/13/17 10:56 am

Post NBF... Aaron Scott
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
brotherjames wrote:

Many people did in fact lose their healing but most of those who lost it did not maintain much if any relationship with God after the healing.

Is God some type of petty, Donald Trump in the sky that takes away "supposed" healings - that weren't really healings at all - but health loans that are taken away if you get out of line?

"Hey Guido, go snatch that healing back - send a message" (said in Godfather voice) Evil or Very Mad

NBF...remember this: "Go and sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon thee."
10/13/17 11:02 am

Post Re: This is not going to go well in some quarters in this little universe of ACTS Old Time Country Preacher
brotherjames wrote:
After Oral prayed for some serious length of time and more than once, the boy could see. Not out of the eye with the eyeball but out of the socket where there was no eye.

OK, let's chew a bit. Are you claiming that the boy could see with the eye that contained no eyeball? There was no eyeball in the socket and the boy could see with an empty socket?

Where could I find the certified report from the optometrist who substantiated this claim?
Acts-pert Poster
10/13/17 1:35 pm

Post Re: OTCP, you are letting the devil use you. Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

What a spiteful person you show yourself to be. We are speaking of healing, and all you want to do is dredge up some controversial element in Oral Roberts' life. You seem to revel in undermining anything--ANYTHING--that smacks of there being true healing at the hands of anyone who doesn't see like you think it should be seen.

Do you think you are more like Jesus or Satan when you "inspire" doubt and disbelief?

I'm betting that if you were around when the Apostle Peter was around, you'd be happy to remind us, after every healing or every inspired epistle, "This is the same guy that denied the Lord three times...what a shame."

You either have some serious issues you need to address...or perhaps you just have such a need for attention that you simply will say anything to get a rise.

I'm sure that the real you is much nicer than the parody, but a parody that is cruel and mean-spirited surely has more than a kernel of the real you shining through.

Aaron, there is not an evil, mean-spirited, spiteful bone in OTCP's body. Just a few observations:

1. I never cease to be amazed at the gullibility of those who believe everything they hear..............without verification or validation.

2. I have no need for attention. My goal is to draw attention to the issue, not the messenger. To make folk thing. To encourage ethics. An sometimes, for folk who are so ingrained with error they embrace anything, the only way to get them to STOP and ASSESS their position is with to EXPOSE the error of the person.

3. I believe in physical healing. I believe God heals today. I have seen folk testify to being healed in my ministry (I didn't heal them, God did). I believe one should ask in faith believing. What I don't believe is that Scripture GUARANTEES healing 100% of the time, on demand, just because someone wills it, decrees it, declares it, etc. And when God doesn't physical heal when the person has done all they know to do, I believe Scripture teaches that God sovereignly dictates the affairs of men for his own purposes.
Acts-pert Poster
10/13/17 1:47 pm

Post Re: OTCP, you are letting the devil use you. Aaron Scott
Aaron Scott wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

Aaron, there is not an evil, mean-spirited, spiteful bone in OTCP's body. Just a few observations:

1. I never cease to be amazed at the gullibility of those who believe everything they hear..............without verification or validation.

2. I have no need for attention. My goal is to draw attention to the issue, not the messenger. To make folk thing. To encourage ethics. An sometimes, for folk who are so ingrained with error they embrace anything, the only way to get them to STOP and ASSESS their position is with to EXPOSE the error of the person.

3. I believe in physical healing. I believe God heals today. I have seen folk testify to being healed in my ministry (I didn't heal them, God did). I believe one should ask in faith believing. What I don't believe is that Scripture GUARANTEES healing 100% of the time, on demand, just because someone wills it, decrees it, declares it, etc. And when God doesn't physical heal when the person has done all they know to do, I believe Scripture teaches that God sovereignly dictates the affairs of men for his own purposes.

Sorry, but you need to STOP undermining those you disagree with at every opportunity. It is very little of you. You seem to think that God apparently does not use men who are less perfect than your esteemed self.

You are far more like the accuser of the brethren than you think. Quite undermining something God did just because you don't like the man He used.
10/13/17 4:45 pm

Post Dear Doubting Thomas, I mean OTCP brotherjames
I just recounted the testimony I was told by my wife And father in law. I wasn't There. But could God, my God who spoke the Word And created all we see, make someone see without an eyeball? Maybe your god (little g) might hzve trouble, but mine doesn't. Why not make an eyeball? Who knows, maybe to make people notice a miracle working God.

Just for your edification And to prove to you God DOES do things like this, here is tbe record of Ronald Coyne a minister who had no eyeball yet could See And read without one because God healed him. Some doubted him but He could See And proved it. This wasn't the one my wife saw but a testimony that answers your silly question.

http://www.johnhamelministries.org/ronald_coyne_testimony_video.htm

Chew on that.
Acts-celerater
10/13/17 6:18 pm

Post Re: Dear Doubting Thomas, I mean OTCP Old Time Country Preacher
brotherjames wrote:
I just recounted the testimony I was told by my wife And father in law. I wasn't There. But could God, my God who spoke the Word And created all we see, make someone see without an eyeball? Maybe your god (little g) might hzve trouble, but mine doesn't. Why not make an eyeball? Who knows, maybe to make people notice a miracle working God.

Just for your edification And to prove to you God DOES do things like this, here is tbe record of Ronald Coyne a minister who had no eyeball yet could See And read without one because God healed him. Some doubted him but He could See And proved it. This wasn't the one my wife saw but a testimony that answers your silly question.

http://www.johnhamelministries.org/ronald_coyne_testimony_video.htm

Chew on that.

Thanks, BJ, I chewed on the article a bit, and found no legitimate validation. I read the comments of a few people, but no verification from medical officials.

Could God cause someone to see out of a empty socket? Yes, he caused a donkey to speak.

Do I believe everything I hear? Nope.
Acts-pert Poster
10/13/17 9:59 pm

Let it me known, fellers, that now amount of criticism, ad hominem attacks, railing/raging against OTCP, hey, not one bit of it:

1. Hurts OTCP's feelings.

2. Will ever cause OTCP to stop his exposure of Woffie error.
Acts-pert Poster
10/13/17 10:01 pm

Post OTCP... Aaron Scott
I will smack you with a ball peen hammer if you keep it up!!!

10/15/17 5:13 pm

Post Re: This is not going to go well in some quarters in this little universe of ACTS Carolyn Smith
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
brotherjames wrote:

Thanks for that giggle, NBF.

One author I've read suggests what she called "temporary healings." She said that sometimes a person is healed for a period of time, but the ailment comes back upon them at a later time. Is it any less a healing if the person has a year longer than he might have before God's touch?

I heard a minister share this OR story...(you can believe it or not...) A woman was present in an Oral Roberts service with her sister. OR preached a message of faith, and at the end of the service, he told the people to put their hand on the place on their body that needed healing. This woman had a tumor on her face, and she put her hand there. As they prayed, the tumor fell off her face into her hand. Needless to say, she was astonished but didn't know what to do. She finally lay her hand back against her face, and the tumor "melted" back into her skin. Her sister was horrified, and said, "Oh sister, what have you done?" The sister answered her back, "What my faith has done, my unbelief has undone."

If you think I am simple-minded to believe unverified stories, that doesn't bother me. Maybe you've never needed a miracle, but I have...and stories like this encourage me.
10/15/17 6:36 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic