Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Property Control makes Slaves
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Property Control makes Slaves cogcia
I was in a meeting today with 9 pastors all of main stream denominations. 3 different denominations represented. The conversation turned to the lack of effectiveness of their denominations. The question was ask why do we remain in our denomination. Resoundingly the pastors said the properties held them to the denomination. 7 of the 9 pastors said if they would not lose their building they would leave their denomination today. The oldest pastor said he had been a slave for the last 17 years to the UMC because his denomination controled thier assets that his members had paid for. Literally in tears he said I'm to old to do what is best for my church. Has property control helped the sinking Ship of denominations stay a float? If denominations said to the local churches do what ever your church voted to do would it change denominations as we know them? As 1 of the 2 that did not voice that I would leave if I could, it really has caused me ask myself are we loyal in the COG for the right reasons or for the wrong reason? Friendly Face
10/2/17 11:11 pm

Post Am I missing something? wayne
Our church just went through the process of purchasing our building. The Church of God did not underwrite us at all. In fact, my name and the name of several families are listed on the loan and all documents listed with the city, county and state. The only place the CoG is listed is if the MISSION Church of God goes down to nothing and their is no one to take on the liability of the property. Truly, this building is controlled by me and the trustees and this information has been verified by our attorney.

As far as feeling like a slave to the denomination, there are times when I wish the CoG was more involved in some of the operations of our churches. Probably, one of my biggest complaints is that the CoG is too slow in helping out some of our churches.

Sounds to me like this is a lose lose for denominations. They help it's bad, they don't help it's bad.....
Acts Enthusiast
10/3/17 7:24 am

Post Re: Property Control makes Slaves Quiet Wyatt
cogcia wrote:
I was in a meeting today with 9 pastors all of main stream denominations. 3 different denominations represented. The conversation turned to the lack of effectiveness of their denominations. The question was ask why do we remain in our denomination. Resoundingly the pastors said the properties held them to the denomination. 7 of the 9 pastors said if they would not lose their building they would leave their denomination today. The oldest pastor said he had been a slave for the last 17 years to the UMC because his denomination controled thier assets that his members had paid for. Literally in tears he said I'm to old to do what is best for my church. Has property control helped the sinking Ship of denominations stay a float? If denominations said to the local churches do what ever your church voted to do would it change denominations as we know them? As 1 of the 2 that did not voice that I would leave if I could, it really has caused me ask myself are we loyal in the COG for the right reasons or for the wrong reason?

If they are only staying in the denomination because of property, how are they more righteous in motive than what they are accusing their denomination of; namely, that it all comes down to property? If a pastor truly feels that the right thing would be to go independent, then he obviously ought to do what's right, and go independent. The church is the people of God, not the physical property.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/3/17 9:11 am

Post Re: Property Control makes Slaves Cojak
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
... If a pastor truly feels that the right thing would be to go independent, then he obviously ought to do what's right, and go independent. The church is the people of God, not the physical property.

There is no question this is a big temptation. Pastor's take note of this and most of their members could not care much less. The body of Christ is there to be fed and nurtured.

Looking at finances, I know it must be a scary thing for a pastor, but faith should trump that, if in fact the pastor feels it is God's will, God will take care of him. We all have seen the COG pastor go independent and his attempt at organizing an independent work fail, and conversely saw them prosper. To be honest I despise hearing a preacher who constantly complains about something they agreed with. Get in or Get out and have some peace of mind.

As a member I do think the local church should hold title to property, it is not a deal breaker to me. I won't see it, but eventually the COG will become more congregational. It is now, in the large churches it seems. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/3/17 9:35 am

Post sheepdogandy
WELL!

What do you know? Cool

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/3/17 10:00 am

Post Consider the benefits of denominational leadership.... Aaron Scott
First, when I heard that some of the pastors were saying they would leave the denomination today if the denomination didn't own their property, I realized that these men have already left in their heart. Was the denomination treating them badly? Do they disagree with church doctrine? On an on. I'm guessing that the REAL reason is almost certainly a less worthy reason....

Here is a scenario.... An independent church that hundreds of people attend goes off the rails doctrinally. Too bad. Either leave or shut up. Nothing you can do unless you have some sort of controlling interest in the church.

Another one.... The pastor of an independent church decides that he wants to have a mistress. The board of trustees are beholden to him and perhaps even agree with him. Either leave or shut up.

But in the Church of God you make a phone call to the regional or administrative bishop. Somebody is going to show up to see if there is a real issue. If there is, the Church of God has the legal authority to do what needs to be done.

I do believe that a church that pays for the property should own the property. HOWEVER, I also believe that there should be a couple of caveats that permit the Church of God to have LEGAL authority over a local church:

1) Moral Failure.

2) Doctrinal Infidelity

3) (?) Imminent financial ruin.

4) Failure to report and/or maintain obligations to the Church of God.
In all other cases, let the church do as they will.

In all other cases, let the church do as they wish. Build. Borrow. Etc. But if any of these triggers are pulled, the Church of God should have the authority to come in and do what needs to be done per the Minutes.

But guess what? THAT HAS NEVER BEEN WHAT IT IS ABOUT, HAS IT? The folks who want out of the Church of God and bemoan denominational leadership are very likely not to agree to even these exceptions. Why? Because they don't want the Church of God AT ALL (except, perhaps, for the connections it provides to them).

A big deal is that some pastors see a lot of money going to headquarters that they feel could be put to better use in the local church. Well, DUH! Of course we could do more things with 10% extra. But that is not what it's about! That 10% goes to do things at a much bigger level that what a local church can do.

Consider that if we all just skipped sending any money to the Church of God to help with Hurricane Harvey...and just found a church to send the money directly to. Nothing particular is wrong with that--I imagine most of us have done such things. But at the same time consider that the church with the best social media outreach, the church that is best known, the pastor that has the most connections...is likely to be the one that gets the lion's share of the monies sent. While some faithful but small church...is left out.

The denomination isn't perfect by a long shot. But far more than I fear the denomination, I fear those pastors that have "divorce" in their hearts...almost always because of MONEY.

Yes, there might be some other reasons here and there. But it often comes down to who has and controls the money.
10/3/17 11:26 am

Post sheepdogandy
Let's say you pastor an independent (Congregational governed) church.

You have a Church Constitution that protects the pastor and the members.

You have a Church Constitution that clearly defines your doctrinal positions.

The Church Conference posses the power to fire your sorry but if you go wacko.

It's called due process.

Since 1989 that's how we roll. Cool

www.spwc.church
10/3/17 2:15 pm

Post Sheepdogandy... Aaron Scott
I wouldn't doubt that Harvester/Earl Paulk, Jr. had "safeguards" in place. But here is the problem....

While we know that the church structure you mention CAN work and often DOES work, its weakness can be that is often executed by people VERY CLOSE to the issue (i.e., right in the same church). It might be a blood brother or sister to the pastor...close friends...etc.

Now, can that same thing happen in a denomination? Of course. But it is much less likely, I think, due to that overseer, or executives almost always being well-removed from the issue. This gives them a vantage point and an authority that would (if it had been reported) almost certainly stopped the Paulk fiasco.

An persuasive pastor might be able to swing the vote his way in an independent church. But in the Church of God (at least in theory!), he would not be able to have a vote to stop the executives from removing him (if that was needed). About the best that he could do would be to leave the church, take a big group with him, and start another church.

Sheepdogandy, if I may ask, what were the specific causes that caused your church to leave the Church of God?

Last edited by Aaron Scott on 10/4/17 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
10/3/17 3:16 pm

Post Property Control Change Agent
Don't under stand why Wayne in above post is in a COG where the Denomination does not own the property. I did not know that option was available in the COG. Will it have to be deeded to the COG if it is paid off? Acts Enthusiast
10/3/17 3:40 pm

Post Cojak
My understanding (from my dad who was a pioneer Pastor in the COG, that there has always been one or two churches in ever state who 'owned their church'. Nealsville, NC, a small mountain church, is one. The members have always owned the church. They are handled by the overseer with different rules (not written of course) but when the men of the church decide they need a change of pastors, it was always done. I am very familiar with the families there and they are absolutely wonderful folk, but they know they have a hand up on their sister churches on the district.

Denominational or independent the church lives or dies on the life of a faithful man of integrity who is a true man of God.

The independent churches I have known are good churches. I know two exceptions, Paulk was mentioned, then my cousin whom I will not name was the other. Both were COG and BOTH were wolves in sheeps clothing.

We can all name COG preachers who ruined good churches. I have no doubt some overseers have 'forced good men out', but in all my time in the COG as a pastor and a pew sitter, I have never been lied to or mislead by overseers and leadership. Thank God. really, THANK GOD.
10/3/17 9:06 pm

Post Well, in the AG we own our own property brotherjames
And are in "fellowship" with tbe denomination. We subscrjbe to our tenets of faith, participate in and support our ministries, outreaches, benevolence and missions And are accountable for doctrine, finances and govt. If tbe church falls below 20 voting members the AG can step in to help the church until it again is strong enough to be on its own. But those churches above 20 voting members are sovereign in our local govt. Call our own pastors, elect our official boards of deacons/trustees And hold title to property, land and buildings as well as make mortgages etc. I call it the best of both worlds. Independent churches aren't accountable and some denominations make you a slave to their property. The AG model is imperfect but better tban most others imho. Acts-celerater
10/3/17 9:20 pm

Post Re: Sheepdogandy... sheepdogandy
"Sheepdogandy, if I may ask, what were the specific causes that caused your church to leave the Church of God?"

Quite literally a lunatic state overseer.

He was called in by our pastor to address complaints.

His solution was to remove most of the duly elected Church officers and replace them without any due process.

He removed one lady who had taught the Ladies Sunday School class for forty years.

She had absolutely nothing to do with the situation.

Some of the replacements did not even attend our Church must less were members.

His demeanor was extremely brash and downright rude to say the least.

He informed us in no uncertain terms that the Church belonged to him and he would do whatever he pleased with it.

The members who paid the bills would have no say.

So, we left.

www.spwc.church
10/4/17 8:21 am

Post Re: Well, in the AG we own our own property Nature Boy Florida
brotherjames wrote:
And are in "fellowship" with tbe denomination. We subscrjbe to our tenets of faith, participate in and support our ministries, outreaches, benevolence and missions And are accountable for doctrine, finances and govt. If tbe church falls below 20 voting members the AG can step in to help the church until it again is strong enough to be on its own. But those churches above 20 voting members are sovereign in our local govt. Call our own pastors, elect our official boards of deacons/trustees And hold title to property, land and buildings as well as make mortgages etc. I call it the best of both worlds. Independent churches aren't accountable and some denominations make you a slave to their property. The AG model is imperfect but better tban most others imho.

And if your name is Swaggart and get caught with your pants down - you tell the denomination to pound sand - and go back to what you were doing before - after stripping the AG sign off the door. You answer to no one on earth. Sounds almost perfect.
10/4/17 4:46 pm

Post NFB JimmieDavis
Sounds like sour grapes. If a man works his whole life, prays, preaches truth grows a great church then has a moral failure, youn seriously think it's a good idea to kick him out, take his church, pass it to the state overseers buddy and call that spiritual discipline. You're crazy. Friendly Face
10/4/17 5:19 pm

Post Re: Sheepdogandy... Cojak
sheepdogandy wrote:
"Sheepdogandy, if I may ask, what were the specific causes that caused your church to leave the Church of God?"

Asked and answered. Thanks SD.

I do not doubt it has happened. Thankfully I have never been involved in something like that, (I'm smiling) I am sure you had not either. Ignorance, and a need to 'BE in charge' has hurt many good pastors.

One is too many, but thank goodness most of our overseers have exhibited more common sense.
Cool
10/4/17 10:38 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Of the four overseers I experienced only one possessed the integrity to hold the office.

J. Frank Culpepper, taught me in one evening everything I needed to know to do what I do now.

Pastor a Congregation.

Of the other three.

One lied, another didn't care and the last was a lunatic. imho

God did have a purpose in allowing the events that led to our leaving Cleveland.

Pentecost is not fading away.

Our recent Youth Conference proved that.

www.spwc.church
10/5/17 8:02 am

Post Properties hold us cogcia
So the blessing of the denomination holding control over the property is
When you have a crazy overseer you still have to stay. Lol
My question is more about should the local church that paid the mortgage, replaced the roof and mowed the grass control the property. Or should an AB that is going to pass through your state hoping for a promotion control it. Sorry for the slight sarcasm. As much as I Respect the office, I am not crazy enough to believe an AB Cares more about our church, our building and our ministry as we do. I Love our denomination, but hate some things about it. I hate that you can’t express your concern without being told why don’t you just leave the denomination. I hate it that, that mentality is costing us our Sons. We can win the argument, but lose the fight. We may be content with an old school mentality and even spiritualize it, but it is not a strength in attracting planters or others to join us.
Friendly Face
10/8/17 3:26 pm

Post A retired pastors perspective roughridercog
If I was going to start a work, I would rent a facility until the cows come home. If we needed our own building I would do it under the umbrella of a separate nonprofit organization and let the church rent it from that.

Just my two cents from my rocking chair. Very Happy
10/8/17 5:44 pm

Post .... viva_cleve_vegas

Last edited by viva_cleve_vegas on 3/26/18 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
10/9/17 11:19 pm

Post This is very concerning bonnie knox
This has been hinted at before on this board, and I find it very concerning. Obviously, it is hard for those of us reading to know exactly how things happened, but if it happened as suggested here, there are problems that haven't been dealt with.
It is certainly not unheard of for churches to try to cover up abuse. It happens frequently, and it's wrong. That situation fails to protect potential future victims.

Quote:
I remember one incident where an overseer said I only deal with lead pastors. Well later on an associate in his state came forward to the state office that his very “connected” lead Pastor and some elders was in involved a child abuse cover up and had violated the states child abuse reporting laws. This guy was being harassed by the perps family who was on the pastors council. The overseer would not even meet with him. The response of staff at that office was how much money do you have saved up you will lose your job for coming forward and to just leave “unharmed.” In less then a week that overseer or someone the overseer alerted told his lead Pastor that the guy came forward with concerns and they immediately fired him. They did nothing to the lead Pastor and since the incident officials from Cleveland who know full well what has happened has spoken at the church. Unofficial response is nothing is going to happen unless police get involved. The Associate was even denied access to a trial board by cleveland response was aren’t going on a “witchhunt” even with member witnesses and a half the elders board knows and was told the person who committed the crime was senial and the victims family was not pressing charges.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/10/17 8:20 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic