Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Revival in a Suitcase?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Revival in a Suitcase? Mark Ledbetter
Once upon a time revivals were common place and well-known evangelists were scheduled to grace the pulpit and proclaim the Gospel. It was also not uncommon to hear this disclaimer: “The evangelist doesn’t bring revival in a suitcase!” I suppose this is true unless the evangelist is Philip.

Our first encounter with Philip provides insight into his spiritual character. Acts 6 records the early church experiencing some growing pains and an administrative adjustment was needed to remedy a potential devastating problem. There was a perception by the Hellenized Jews, those from outside Israel and subject Greek influence, the Hebrew widows received attention at the expense of the Greek widows.

To remedy the appearance of the Apostles showing favoritism, this administrative oversight was easily remedied. Calling the people together the Apostles explained the burden of the administration of material needs of the widows proved a distraction to their responsibility to devote themselves to prayer and study of the Scriptures and suggested:

Quote:
Therefore, brethren, select from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may put in charge of this task. (Acts 6:3)

Among the seven deacons selected and then confirmed by the Apostles through the laying on of hands and prayer was Philip. So, we know Philip was a man known possessing reputable character, and the he was “full of the Spirit and of wisdom.”

Dutifully, we imagine, Philip attended to the widows’ needs while also spending time at the feet of the apostles and drinking from the Word they taught. He saw their example of devotion to both the Word of God and prayer. Apparently, Philip’s time spent in service and attending study and prayer made a deep spiritual impression.

Philip is later seen near the end of the Acts narrative when Paul and company came to Caesarea and became Philip’s guest. Here we learn of Philip’s influence upon his own family. Acts 21:9 reveals Philip’s four virgin daughters were “prophetesses.”

Now, to the revival in a suitcase.

Stephen’s martyrdom (Acts 7) was part of a systematic persecution intending to stop the fledgling movement in its tracts. What it did, however, was fulfill the commission to spread the Gospel to Judea, Samaria, and even the remotest parts of the earth. (Acts 1:8). The result of the persecution is recorded in Acts 8:4, “Therefore, those who had been scattered went about preaching the word.” I love reading about Satan’s plans backfiring.

Philip headed towards Samaria. The only advance team apparently was the Holy Spirit who prepared the hearts for Philip’s preaching. He had no entourage, no newspaper or radio ads, no flyers posted, no Facebook Event postings, no armor bearers, no advanced prayer teams. What Philip did have, however, was more than sufficient than all the silly trappings evangelist and preachers like to surround themselves with today.

His message was simple – he proclaimed Christ to them (8:5) and preached the good news regarding the kingdom of God (8:12). Philip’s message was straight-forward. There was no need for a praise team to whip the congregation into emotionally charged receptors. The only sensationalism was orchestrated by the Holy Spirit as signs accompanied his message. Unclean spirits were cast out, the lame and paralyzed walked and other “great miracles” attested the message and the messenger resulting in many being baptized and great joy filled the city.

If a revival is planned and an evangelist is secured, certainly the congregation should commit to prayer. Prayer can be essential in providing an anticipation and atmosphere for revival. Nothing wrong with newspaper, radio and paper ads, or even FaceBook event postings (however, the most effective advertising is when the people in the pew get excited and invite others - and a lot less expensive).

It might be, however, a man or woman who is of a good report and filled with the Spirit and wisdom just might have a revival in their suitcase.

Quote:
“...woe is me if I do not preach the gospel...” 1 Corinthians 9:16

Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
9/25/17 10:01 pm

Post A little something I remember... Aaron Scott
When I was a child, my dad was a Church of God evangelist. I recall him saying something to the effect of "I have brought revival with me." If you knew him, you would know that it is virtually impossible for him to brag on himself. He just can't--never once heard him do it in my 55 years. He was simply saying that what's getting ready to happen isn't starting from scratch--I've already brought some fire with me. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/26/17 10:52 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic