Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Any recent books about pioneers of the faith

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Any recent books about pioneers of the faith JLarry
I am reading "God's Generals" for the second time, first time about 2000.

Wondering if there are any up dated books like this. I a intersesed in history of great men/women of God.

Please don't bother posting negative comments.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
9/23/17 1:39 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Check out the book "131 Christians Everyone Should Know". They are not all heroes, IMO, but they were all highly influential. The short overviews might give you an idea of who you'd like to read more about. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/23/17 3:06 pm

Post Re: Any recent books about pioneers of the faith Old Time Country Preacher
JLarry wrote:
I am reading "God's Generals".

Are ya wantin accurate history, or biased romanticized history?
Acts-pert Poster
9/23/17 3:22 pm

Post "Paths of a Pioneer" by Paul H. Walker Aaron Scott
My dad bought me this book when I was, I suppose, around 9, 10, or 11. We lived in Tampa and the Pathway Bookstore was there (wonderfully managed by Sis. Shirley Litchfield, who attended our church). I read it and was just mesmerized (this was back in the day when many young folks in the Church of God had a greater awareness of our connection to Cleveland and a strong identification with the Church of God).

Just this past summer, my family went out west. Now, we weren't in the Dakotas, but we were in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, and I felt doubly connected to that wonderful book I had read so long ago (the west).

Of course, this Bro. Walker is the father of Paul L. Walker, of Mt. Paran fame. Further, either while I was reading it or not long thereafter, some minister drove up in to visit and had Bro. Walker with him! Now, I didn't know him, and he didn't know me, but it was an honor to shake the hand of a bonafide Church of God legend.

I encourage you to get this book and feel the connection and love I felt toward the Church of God and this wonderful man of God.

By the way, if I remember right, it was this Bro. Walker who helped get the Church of God turned away from an "Only We Are Saved" sort of thinking that was creeping in to the church during the early years.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/23/17 4:31 pm

Post Re: "Paths of a Pioneer" by Paul H. Walker Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
My dad bought me this book when I was, I suppose, around 9, 10, or 11. We lived in Tampa and the Pathway Bookstore was there (wonderfully managed by Sis. Shirley Litchfield, who attended our church). I read it and was just mesmerized (this was back in the day when many young folks in the Church of God had a greater awareness of our connection to Cleveland and a strong identification with the Church of God).

Just this past summer, my family went out west. Now, we weren't in the Dakotas, but we were in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, and I felt doubly connected to that wonderful book I had read so long ago (the west).

Of course, this Bro. Walker is the father of Paul L. Walker, of Mt. Paran fame. Further, either while I was reading it or not long thereafter, some minister drove up in to visit and had Bro. Walker with him! Now, I didn't know him, and he didn't know me, but it was an honor to shake the hand of a bonafide Church of God legend.

I encourage you to get this book and feel the connection and love I felt toward the Church of God and this wonderful man of God.

By the way, if I remember right, it was this Bro. Walker who helped get the Church of God turned away from an "Only We Are Saved" sort of thinking that was creeping in to the church during the early years.

Aaron, son, this is a great post. Thank ya![/url]
Acts-pert Poster
9/23/17 5:23 pm

Post countrypreacher
Buckalew's Azusa Street Connection on alibris.com New Member
9/25/17 9:38 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic