Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

Balancing the council of 18 #PastorFocused
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Balancing the council of 18 #PastorFocused 21stcenturyministry
Let's face it our organization needs a restructuring. I don't feel our current council of 18 model works because it tends to favor the fox watching the hen house. At the next general assembly I believe there should be a motion to make the council of 18 only current lead pastors of churches in good Tithe of Tithe standing. The requirement should be lead pastor of a church. I don't think the current majority of the mix of leaders on the council don't have the best interests of the local church they are either owned by the "system" State officials or career church of God office employees. I believe they are servants to a system that keeps the system folks perpetually on the golden titty of church of God international office and church of God state offices. Sure there are stand out pastors on the council but there is a lot of folks that are officials or haven't pastored in years. Current pastors in good Tithe of Tithe status would put a mix of folks invested in the church of God and it would show the church of God values pastors instead of positions. Because let's face it without local church pastors no one would have positions at all.

Last edited by 21stcenturyministry on 9/9/17 8:03 pm; edited 5 times in total
9/6/17 10:29 pm

Post Not going to happen cogcia
The System that we created will never let loose of it's power.
This system is so self serving and power hungry that such a change
Would threaten that power. Honestly if the council of 18 has no more power than the state councils do it would make no real difference. Giving honest Council to the man that holds your job in his hands is not power it is a joke.
Councils in our system are controled bodies obligated to system leaders. Even our votes are control by a system that promotes who it chooses to promote. No one will be a leader unless the recycling system promotes them.
Friendly Face
9/7/17 12:16 am

Post Re: Not going to happen 21stcenturyministry
cogcia wrote:
The System that we created will never let loose of it's power.
This system is so self serving and power hungry that such a change
Would threaten that power. Honestly if the council of 18 has no more power than the state councils do it would make no real difference. Giving honest Council to the man that holds your job in his hands is not power it is a joke.
Councils in our system are controled bodies obligated to system leaders. Even our votes are control by a system that promotes who it chooses to promote. No one will be a leader unless the recycling system promotes them.

Ouch so much conflict of interest... the deck is stacked against pastors

So how do we fix this

Should we do like the ag and creat regions stating x number must come for western states x number come from midwest X number from the south east northeast exc. checks and balences need to occur.

How would we fix this list

Tony D. Stewart, pastor, CityLife Church, Tampa, Fla.- pastor
Kip A. Box, regional overseer, Northwest Region-official
Ishmael Prince Charles, Field Director, Caribbean, Tortola, British Virgin Islands- official
Mitchell E. Corder Jr., state overseer, Tennessee-official
Gerald E. McGinnis, pastor, Knoxville, Tennessee- too close to Cleveland
G. Dennis McGuire, international revivalist, Cleveland, Tenn.offical
Nick Park, pastor, Drogheda, Ireland- pastor
Eliezar Bonilla, pastor, San Antonio, Texas- pastor
Timothy Wayne Oldfield, pastor, Columbus, Ohio- pastor
Keith L. Ivester, state overseer, Tampa, Florida- official
Gary J. Lewis, state overseer, South Georgia- official
H. Loran Livingston, pastor, Charlotte, North Carolina- pastor strongest voice
Sean Stewart O’Neal, state overseer, Arizona- official
Jimmy D. Smith, Cleveland, Tennessee- Offical
Samuel Santana, state overseer, Southwestern Hispanic- official
Kevin McGlamery, pastor, Huntsville, Alabama- north Cleveland youth pastor
Travis C. Johnson, pastor, Homestead, Florida- pastor
Barry Clardy, pastor, Hamilton, Ohio- pastor
Japarlin Marbun, National Overseer of Indonesia- official
Stafford Petersen, secretary general Full Gospel Church of God South Africa- official

11 officials to 7 pastors we are out numbered

The 7 pastors on this list only 1 has a strong enough voice to buck the "system" and that is Loran Livingston everyone else is either pastor who is Cleveland bound or a politically green i.e. Easily controlled by the system of overseerers and officials

The only way it seems to make it as a pastor is to get a head full of kissing arse
9/7/17 1:35 am

Post 21stcenturyministry
So only 7 people on the council pastor and "pay the Bills". Something seems wrong about that. But I guess that is what happens when you have a general assembly in Nashville which is cleveland's back yard. you end up with folks who's claim to fame as a pastor was north cleveland's youth pastor for a couple of months on board. You also get all the family friends and churches of those close by. Wake up folks the church of God is losing influence and credibility.

Last edited by 21stcenturyministry on 9/7/17 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
9/7/17 1:41 am

Post Carolyn Smith
It seems to me seeing the men mentioned that are on the Council of 18, that it not only represents "system" people, but also people who have maturity in the Lord and a lot of wisdom.

What you seem to have is a total disrespect for the system and any authority. This is not going to serve you well in the COG or any denomination, for that matter. IMHO, the best thing you could do to help yourself is to study authority and its place in the kingdom of God & His work. Once you have a Biblical model in place for what might work, work through the system to change it.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/7/17 5:59 am

Post I like 'em! spartanfan
I really like this particular Council of 18. They are not at all like you are portraying them to be. We cry for "younger" and then bash them after we elect them citing inexperience. That's just stupid. And there are strong- very strong leaders who obey God over men on that list and you act like they are just interested in pleasing men and not in making righteous decisions. I like them - I like them a lot. I disagree with the entire premise of this post and I suppose it's made by somebody not on that list who has sour grapes over not being appointed to something. I'm not appointed to anything except my local church to pastor right now and I say that we have fine men on our Council of 18 that really want what's best for the Kingdom of God. I plan on voting for each of them that is eligible to continue at the next General Assembly - which won't be in Cleveland's "back yard." I can't believe you even criticized that. Sour grapes. I suppose the final answer in your mind is to put you and people like you on the Council of 18. I pay my tithes right and only got 2 votes to go on - that was probably wise of the Ordained Bishops too Smile Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
9/7/17 7:45 am

Post Re: I like 'em! 21stcenturyministry
spartanfan wrote:
I really like this particular Council of 18. They are not at all like you are portraying them to be. We cry for "younger" and then bash them after we elect them citing inexperience. That's just stupid. And there are strong- very strong leaders who obey God over men on that list and you act like they are just interested in pleasing men and not in making righteous decisions. I like them - I like them a lot. I disagree with the entire premise of this post and I suppose it's made by somebody not on that list who has sour grapes over not being appointed to something. I'm not appointed to anything except my local church to pastor right now and I say that we have fine men on our Council of 18 that really want what's best for the Kingdom of God. I plan on voting for each of them that is eligible to continue at the next General Assembly - which won't be in Cleveland's "back yard." I can't believe you even criticized that. Sour grapes. I suppose the final answer in your mind is to put you and people like you on the Council of 18. I pay my tithes right and only got 2 votes to go on - that was probably wise of the Ordained Bishops too Smile
. This is not a younger issue this is a what have you done for us how have you scratched our backs and besides a lot of the "younger" tend to be of the lineage of privileged pastors or longtime cleveland staff member families. Can anyone honestly speak out on that council without committing career suicide? No because like a previous poster said everyone is each other's boss. Or you get a coup like Robert white that was planned months in advanced and he was an overseer trying to fix it. Only reason folks are mad at Kevin Wallace is he out smarted the machine in Cleveland and didn't need them. We need people with the balls to fix things. I feel half the board could be castrated by the system if things got bad. Too many Overlapping interests.
9/7/17 8:13 am

Post 21stcenturyministry
Does Cleveland serve pastor or do pastors serve Cleveland? Member
9/7/17 11:28 am

Post Redneck
The COG is no different than our Federal Government. It is all hot garbage.

The system is set up to for everyone to aspire to be at Cleveland and to make $$$$.

It will take some time, but the COG will eventually dwindle down to an organization of old saints that reminisce about the glory days of the church.

I have essentially seen this in the COGOP, that I grew up in. I have been COG my entire adult life and the very same mentality is what I see within the "politics" of the COG.
9/7/17 7:13 pm

Post Council of 18 dream team 21stcenturyministry
All Pastor Council of 18 dream team

Tony Stewart city life
Mark Williams north Cleveland
Loran Livingston central church
Sam Luke victory tab
Marty baker Stevens creek
Kevin Harris Cooper City
Eliezar Bonilla abundant life
Steven lowery national cog
David fox lighthouse tab
William Lee Daytona deliverance
David smith family worship center Pueblo mm
Ben Prescott- Free Chapel Orange County
Niko Njotorahardjo- Bethany Indonesia
Nick park pastor Ireland
Doug Anderson Rose Heights
Joe dobbins twin rivers
Tony Scott church on strayer
David Cooper Mount paran

Then we make state council appoint and decide state overseers
I think that would give us good checks and balances in the church of God and bring us back to health as an organization. These are folks that earned the right to be on the council.add to or edit this list however you like

Last edited by 21stcenturyministry on 9/10/17 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
9/7/17 10:15 pm

Post Re: Council of 18 dream team SouthGeorgiaBoy
[quote="21stcenturyministry"]All Pastor Council of 18 dream team

Tony Stewart city life
Sam Luke victory tab
Kevin Harris Cooper City
David fox lighthouse tab
Nick park pastor Ireland
Joe dobbins twin rivers
David Cooper Mount paran

Your list here shows just how out of touch you are. I can name about six here who do not deserve or would not even meet the criteria as it relates to correctly reporting tithe of tithe to serve in an elected or appointed position. Yes there are some good guys on this list but not all for sure.
Acts Enthusiast
9/8/17 12:57 am

Post Re: Council of 18 dream team 21stcenturyministry
[quote="SouthGeorgiaBoy"]
21stcenturyministry wrote:
All Pastor Council of 18 dream team

Tony Stewart city life
Sam Luke victory tab
Kevin Harris Cooper City
Travis johnson
Nick park pastor Ireland
Joe dobbins twin rivers
David Cooper Mount paran

Your list here shows just how out of touch you are. I can name about six here who do not deserve or would not even meet the criteria as it relates to correctly reporting tithe of tithe to serve in an elected or appointed position. Yes there are some good guys on this list but not all for sure.

I am a pastor I was trying to fix the imbalance of lead pastors to officials on the council. 7 lead pastors to 11 officials. I would not know who reports but I will say these people are invested in the church of God if we open the door for them to serve. Sure some are not within a days drive of Cleveland, but surely they are some of the best we got as the church of God. What would you edit or how would your dream team look? I am open to suggestions but for the sake of post let's make it all current lead pastors. I think the list was balanced with people who represent some of our most stable or influential churches. Now I know that does not represent all our stable churches. Think of names I missed for this list it is a rough draft. I was going for a wide spectrum of leaders from those lead pastors who may have served in positions before like mark Williams to those some may not know like Ben Prescott who I believe has potential to be a young power house for our organization. To tried and true pastors like loran Livingston and tony Scott. Help me out with this list.

Last edited by 21stcenturyministry on 9/10/17 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
9/8/17 9:09 am

Post 21stcenturyministry
Thoughts??? Member
9/8/17 11:21 am

Post Da Sheik
I have tremendous respect for authority and leadership. Having said that, I spend very little time worrying about who is serving on any particular council, board, or committee. I have never been asked to serve on an international level, but I can tell you from serving on the state level at various stages and positions, it can be a thankless job. If I'm never nominated for another board or committee position again, I would be perfectly fine with that. I encourage those who have a desire to serve in that capacity. At this phase in my life and ministry, I feel my efforts are best spent in my community.

I am an advocate for less administrative pork. I do like the model of having pastors serving at the highest levels. It seems to work effectively for the Southern Baptists. But then again, they are autonomous, which brings us back to the initial conundrum that centralized government presents.

I better stop. I'm starting to sound like Bro. SheepDog
Laughing
Acts Enthusiast
9/8/17 12:29 pm

Post 21stcenturyministry
@dasheik Centralized government can work we just have a lack of checks and balances. I think a pastors only council of 18 will allow oversight. I think state councils selecting state overseers would fix a lot as well. This would show us that we are pastor and church focused. I don't necessarily like the think younger plan even though I love what they are tying to do and have great respect for those involved. I think we need a new plan named pastor focused. I like that #pastorfocused. I might just have to work with that. Member
9/8/17 12:54 pm

Post Respecting leadership cogcia
I honor and respect leadership but I have totally lost respect for
The way leadership is done in our denomination. We have lost our
Way. We have become system focused and not harvest focused. Pastors
almost become prisoners in a centralized from of government. You either learn to deal with it or you lose everything. Our leaders serve the system because the system serves them well. You can't fix leadership issues because in our denomination our leadership holds all the power and local pastors only know who to vote for because they are promoted by our system. Extremely few of people that get into Denominational leadership will nwwever pastor a local again.
They can be great leaders that serve the denomination well, but not serve the local church well.
Friendly Face
9/8/17 9:49 pm

Post Re: Respecting leadership 21stcenturyministry
cogcia wrote:
I honor and respect leadership but I have totally lost respect for
The way leadership is done in our denomination. We have lost our
Way. We have become system focused and not harvest focused. Pastors
almost become prisoners in a centralized from of government. You either learn to deal with it or you lose everything. Our leaders serve the system because the system serves them well. You can't fix leadership issues because in our denomination our leadership holds all the power and local pastors only know who to vote for because they are promoted by our system. Extremely few of people that get into Denominational leadership will nwwever pastor a local again.
They can be great leaders that serve the denomination well, but not serve the local church well.

The greater authority

I Respect Authority as well. But with that being said, their is always a greater authority. That authority is God. We must have absolute respect for the authority of God. If we sat on our laurels as Christians and just accepted authority as it is we wouldn't have the reformation with Martin Luther and his 95 theses. Even Jesus stood up to the Sanhedrin. If it wasn't biblical to question authority Would Jesus have been able to stand up to the Sanhedrin the Pharisees or the Sadducees. Jesus is the greatest authority we must recognize that. Certainly us as a church of God wouldn't have made it out of the hills of East Tennessee and western North Carolina if we obeyed the authority of the area baptist churches and the KKK when we began. There comes a point to where we have to ask ourselves scripturally are we lording it over people as the Bible condemns Matthew 20:25-26. I'm not saying take every person out of Cleveland that works in an office but what I am saying is workers in those offices need oversight or advice from the men in the field. This thing is simple economics if I had a factory and I went to all the workers making the decisions instead of allowing the market to determine direction I would loose my business. The pastors are in the market they are the market they are our metrics of success or failure we need to listen to them make them feel valued or were not going to have an office in Cleveland anymore if it keeps getting worse. That's why at the Orlando general assembly we need to become #Pastor focused.

Last edited by 21stcenturyministry on 9/10/17 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
9/9/17 4:27 pm

Post Re: Not going to happen Tom Sterbens
[quote="21stcenturyministry"]
cogcia wrote:

The 7 pastors on this list only 1 has a strong enough voice to buck the "system" and that is Loran Livingston ...

Do you know Travis Johnson or Tony Stewart personally?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
9/10/17 8:42 pm

Post 21stcenturyministry
Nope I'm just someone out of the loop. I don't want to get rid of anyone in Cleveland I want to enhance Cleveland. I want to see pastors have a real checks and balance system. I think it would help Cleveland to think outside of the box and allow new things to happen because we as pastor will have heros to look up to in ministry that are doing what we hope to be doing some day. The church of God needs to make a spotlight to the churches that are performing well and make them model churches for there regions. The only way this happens is if we give pastors power and make the church of God pastor focused by giving them the council of 18. Right now pastors really don't have any power. A step towards officials who also pastor churches would be massive. It makes me sad when I see a pastor step up to the Cleveland arena because I know it means they are walking away from traditional pastoring. I think we should have both officials who occupy an office and pastor. Let me just say this men like mark Williams who step into pastoring after leading office are rare. Mark Williams is a hero in my book.

Last edited by 21stcenturyministry on 9/10/17 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
9/10/17 8:48 pm

Post Re: Not going to happen 21stcenturyministry
[quote="Tom Sterbens"]
21stcenturyministry wrote:
cogcia wrote:

The 7 pastors on this list only 1 has a strong enough voice to buck the "system" and that is Loran Livingston ...

Do you know Travis Johnson or Tony Stewart personally?

I know enough that if the system wants to control them it can because the current power imbalance of officials to pastors. Pastor kevin Wallace was very stable what made him flip? it wasn't just "doctrine". There is more to it. Us pastors may not ask Questions because we are scared but we are not stupid.
9/10/17 9:00 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic