Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

It was necessary to delete a post about Honorary Degrees
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:
If I'm understanding Ole Timer's stance, he's all FOR recognizing honorary doctorates--just as awards and not educational degrees.
In any case, the fact that he had to clarify here what the deleted thread was about, let's me know that Ole Timer still has his work cut out for him.

My stance exactly, Miss Bonnie. Nothin wrong with one a them ornery honery things if ya use em for what they are, not what they ain't.
Acts-pert Poster
8/22/17 5:02 pm

Post Re: I don't get it Old Time Country Preacher
wayne wrote:
Just wondering....is OTCP your real name or title?

Well, its really a title, wayne, given by the US Dept of Education

Official
Title &
Credential
Police
Acts-pert Poster
8/22/17 5:10 pm

Carolyn Smith wrote:
I just really don't understand the point of the posts.

OTCP did teach me that using the "Dr" as title if you haven't earned one is not an acceptable thing to do, that it shows a lack of integrity to do so.

Carolyn, just like when you was settin under Jerry Smith when you an John was in MIP, he taught yall stuff. You answered your own question above in the large print. Ats always been my one an only goal in these posts, to show that it aint exceptable.
Acts-pert Poster
8/22/17 5:16 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

OTCP did teach me that using the "Dr" as title if you haven't earned one is not an acceptable thing to do, that it shows a lack of integrity to do so.

Carolyn, just like when you was settin under Jerry Smith when you an John was in MIP, he taught yall stuff. You answered your own question above in the large print. Ats always been my one an only goal in these posts, to show that it aint exceptable.

Yeah, but he moved on once he had taught us something and taught us other things. Smile
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/22/17 7:49 pm

Carolyn Smith wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

Yeah, but he moved on once he had taught us something and taught us other things. Smile

I know, but just cause you was taught something (an I'm real glad ya was), don't mean everybody else on Acts learned the lesson. A few of em is still defendin credentials from worthless places.
Acts-pert Poster
8/22/17 8:10 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Benjamin Franklin, who received an honorary master's degree from The College of William and Mary in 1756, and doctorates from the University of St. Andrews in 1759 and the University of Oxford in 1762 for his scientific accomplishments. He thereafter referred to himself as "Doctor Franklin".

Billy Graham has been addressed as "Dr. Graham", though his highest earned degree is a BA in anthropology from Wheaton College.

Should Ben Franklin and Billy Graham be referred to as fakes? Or has OTCP accomplished more than both of them with his "earned" piece of sheepskin.
8/23/17 7:17 am

Post The age old question Mat
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Benjamin Franklin, who received an honorary master's degree from The College of William and Mary in 1756, and doctorates from the University of St. Andrews in 1759 and the University of Oxford in 1762 for his scientific accomplishments. He thereafter referred to himself as "Doctor Franklin".

Billy Graham has been addressed as "Dr. Graham", though his highest earned degree is a BA in anthropology from Wheaton College.

Should Ben Franklin and Billy Graham be referred to as fakes? Or has OTCP accomplished more than both of them with his "earned" piece of sheepskin.

I use the titles people want to be called, if its Bishop, or Apostle, or Elder, or Evangelist (Billy Graham's most used title), or Doctor, if that's what they want. I've know some Bishops who I would not serve under (and they laid their hands on my head to ordain me I would shave my head afterwards and take a shower). In the academic world, I known some "Doctors" who are useless, their publish works lack insight and inspiration, and they aren't even good instructors in the classroom, they depend on the ability of the school to provide them paying students.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
8/23/17 8:21 am

Post Re: The age old question Old Time Country Preacher
Mat wrote:
I use the titles people want to be called, if its Bishop, or Apostle, or Elder, or Evangelist (Billy Graham's most used title), or Doctor, if that's what they want.

Hey, ats real good Mat. OK, I want to be known as the Old Tomlinson Country Preacher, an use Homer as a nickname. Can ya accommodate the ole timer?
Acts-pert Poster
8/23/17 1:31 pm

I'm a hangin with Thomas Jefferson on this one. Fortunately, some schools has wised up an won't even award the things. I bet Jefferson laughed in private over ole Ben usin the title Dr.

Wikipedia:
Some US universities such as the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cornell University, Stanford University, and Rice University, do not award honorary degrees as a matter of policy. The University of Virginia (founded in 1819) was probably the first US university to explicitly have a policy of not awarding honorary degrees at the behest of its founder, Thomas Jefferson. In 1845, William Barton Rogers, then chairman of the faculty, vigorously defended this policy; in 1861, he founded MIT in Boston and continued this practice. The University of Virginia does annually award Thomas Jefferson Medals in Architecture and in Law, as the highest honors accorded by that institution.
Acts-pert Poster
8/23/17 1:40 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida

I'm a hangin with Thomas Jefferson on this one.

Slaveowner Thomas Jefferson???
You agree with that racist???
8/23/17 3:11 pm

Post bradfreeman
This thread's got OTCP giggling like me on thread about legalism! Laughing

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
8/23/17 3:20 pm

Per honery docterates an the Constitution, I'm with Jefferson.
Acts-pert Poster
8/23/17 4:02 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida

So you think blacks are 3/5 of a person?
Racist!
8/24/17 7:53 am

So you think blacks are 3/5 of a person?
Racist!

NB, son, I love ya, but your argument is absurd. You know OTCP don't believe at.
Acts-pert Poster
8/24/17 8:33 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Sorry - been watching MSNBC too much.
8/24/17 9:11 am

Post Re: The age old question Cojak
Mat wrote:
I use the titles people want to be called, if its Bishop, or Apostle, or Elder, or Evangelist (Billy Graham's most used title), or Doctor, if that's what they want. I've know some Bishops who I would not serve under (and they laid their hands on my head to ordain me I would shave my head afterwards and take a shower). In the academic world, I known some "Doctors" who are useless, their publish works lack insight and inspiration, and they aren't even good instructors in the classroom, they depend on the ability of the school to provide them paying students.

Mat

I think most folk would have to admit they agree with you here. Lot of truth in that comment Mat. Smile Wink

I also have no problem in addressing someone they way they prefer. Even used Sergeant and Sir to a few folk who couldn't tie their boots or load a weapon without written instructions with pictures. So basically it is the same with some Doctors and Bishops! Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/24/17 10:19 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic