Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

It was necessary to delete a post about Honorary Degrees
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post It was necessary to delete a post about Honorary Degrees doyle
It is completely in order to discuss the pros and cons of Honorary Degrees, but beginning a list of names and encouraging others to add names, once again opens the door for libel for the one who made the post.

People do not take it lightly when their personal name is used in a mocking or derogatory manner. And what if someone posts a name and the information is wrong? If the name of someone who has an earned Doctorate appeared on a such a list, they could consider it to be defamatory.

Discuss the subject matter of Honorary Doctorates, but absolutely no list of names.

Doyle
8/21/17 7:00 pm

Post Cojak
Then there isn't much need in beating the dead horse, is there? Insinuations are as smearing as using names. I did learn something. Honorary Doctorates were awarded by East Coast Bible College. I did not know they even taught thru the Doctorate level of education. If that is so, how do they award one?

Just curious.

I spent many hours on that campus, not as a student, but because it was on the NC campground. It is being razed, probably finished now, as I drive by yearly. It hurts me to think we are moving backwards, or it seems to me. Sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/21/17 10:42 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
A school may grant an honorary doctorate, regardless of whether the school is accredited to grant academic doctorates such as the PhD or Dmin. An honorary doctorate is simply and only an honor bestowed upon someone by a college or university, regardless of formal academic education. In no way does an honorary doctorate qualify the recipient to be a professor, or even to be referred to as "Dr. So and So." It is simply an honorific award granted to someone by a school. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/21/17 10:53 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Doyle, your decision is respected. However, just for clarity, the title of the thread said nothing about honorary doctorates, although some posted regarding them. Honorary doctorates are a beast of their own when used unethically. Yes, list them in a resume under "Awards" or "Honors." But to list them under "Education" or use the moniker "Dr" based on that alone? NEVER...........

The thread was specifically about persons who touted doctorates from UNACCREDITED so-called schools. In other words, they claim an earned doctorate, but it's from a school with no credibility, many which are mere mills, so the sheepskin didn't come from a real sheep...........

Here is a more palatable and less litigatory list:

Dr. Jim Bob Jones: Pastor, Possum Holler COG
Dr. Slick Simmons: Chaplain, Little Lads & Lasses Day Care
Dr. Sha Ba Ba: Worship Leader, Higher than Highest Praise Fellowship
Dr. Theophilus Arcinius: President, Bachelor to Doctorate in 3 Months Seminary
Acts-pert Poster
8/22/17 7:41 am

Post I don't get it wayne
OTCP,
What is your deal with this? Why is this your personal crusade to out these people? What have they done to you, to make you feel this passionate about their fake/honorary degrees?

Let it go.
Acts Enthusiast
8/22/17 7:52 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
If schools that award honorary doctorates didn't want the recipients to use the title "Dr." - they would just give them an Alumnus of the Year award or something similar.

The institution is certifying that the recipient meets all the requirements to be conferred a doctorate by said institution. Some folks get one by taking a certain amount of hours and completing a thesis or interning at a hospital. Others get one by their rigorous lifetime achievements.

A doctorate from a legit institution is a doctorate - that's why it is called a doctorate.
8/22/17 7:59 am

Post Re: I don't get it Old Time Country Preacher
wayne wrote:
OTCP,
What is your deal with this? Why is this your personal crusade to out these people? What have they done to you, to make you feel this passionate about their fake/honorary degrees?

Let it go.

If my intention was to "out" someone, I would have named names long ago. I have hoped that by continuing to expose the issue, it would keep others from going that route.

All it takes is one time, wayne, to discover someone you know/respect touts an unaccredited fake doctorate. What I am passionate about is ethics and integrity. The persons I just described have slipped on the slippery slope.
Acts-pert Poster
8/22/17 8:06 am

Post OTCP JimmieDavis
We don't care what your intention is. You have a condescending arrogance about you that makes your opinion minuscule. You are a legend in your own mind. Friendly Face
8/22/17 8:12 am

Post Re: I don't get it wayne
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
wayne wrote:
OTCP,

Let it go.

If my intention was to "out" someone, I would have named names long ago. I have hoped that by continuing to expose the issue, it would keep others from going that route.

All it takes is one time, wayne, to discover someone you know/respect touts an unaccredited fake doctorate. What I am passionate about is ethics and integrity. The persons I just described have slipped on the slippery slope.

OTCP,
I work with true medical Doctors every day, highly specialized in their fields and several are known all over the world for life saving procedures they have created. I am around PHD's and a whole host of other initials I don't have a clue as to what they mean. I am around intelligent people all the time and I don't have a degree. Believe me, I sometimes feel really dumb when I hear these people talk. Many times, I have to go and find a dictionary to know what they just said to me.
In my 25 years of working with these people, I have learned a degree or doctorate only states that you have extra knowledge in that area. I have watched highly intelligent people throw themselves in the floor and have a temper tantrums because something didn't go their way. One of the doctors I work with(known all over the world) does not know how to type, one doctor who is very smart had to be taught how to write again because somewhere along the line she forgot how to put words on paper(this is no joke), several of the doctors I work with have the worst personality of anyone I have ever met. They are smart but they don't know how to do the basic things. Yep, they may be smart in one area but boy they sure need this not as educated as them person to do everything else for them.
I personally don't care what your title is. If you want to be called Dr., I will do my best to call you Dr....depending on my mood that day. If you want to be called bishop or pope, I will try to comply but for me, its the walk and behavior of a person that commands my respect.

Just wondering....is OTCP your real name or title?
Acts Enthusiast
8/22/17 10:18 am

Post bonnie knox
I don't have a degree higher than a high school diploma, but I do know enough to know that Ole Timer makes sense.
Whether preachers are using titles from unaccredited degrees out of ignorance or whether they are lacking in integrity enough to willfully do it, it should not be. Ole Timer is trying to shine the light on the situation, and the pushback that he gets is beyond baffling to me.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/22/17 10:32 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
bonnie knox wrote:
I don't have a degree higher than a high school diploma, but I do know enough to know that Ole Timer makes sense.
Whether preachers are using titles from unaccredited degrees out of ignorance or whether they are lacking in integrity enough to willfully do it, it should not be. Ole Timer is trying to shine the light on the situation, and the pushback that he gets is beyond baffling to me.

Unaccredited degrees and/or degree mill diplomas are a problem - I agree with Old Timer on those.

I just don't agree when he lumps Honorary Degrees in with those. When those are awarded by legitimate institutions, they should be recognized.
8/22/17 10:55 am

Post Carolyn Smith
bonnie knox wrote:

He gets pushback because he continues to report on it all the time and nobody else really cares. What good does it do to report to us that someone else is behaving unethically without naming names (which has now been forbidden?) It seems to be his personal crusade, which is fine, but no one else that I can tell really cares that he has found other wayward ministers. So what is the point? I think we all get by now that it's wrong and lacking integrity by now.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/22/17 11:20 am

Post Cojak
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
A school may grant an honorary doctorate, regardless of whether the school is accredited to grant academic doctorates such as the PhD or Dmin. An honorary doctorate is simply and only an honor bestowed upon someone by a college or university, regardless of formal academic education. In no way does an honorary doctorate qualify the recipient to be a professor, or even to be referred to as "Dr. So and So." It is simply an honorific award granted to someone by a school.

Thanks QW, I certainly did not know that! Cool
8/22/17 11:50 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
bonnie knox wrote:

I think at least one reason for the pushback on this is that some really don't value education, and even look down on it in general. In such people's minds, seeing someone who is successful have an unaccredited degree or an honorary doctorate only reinforces their bias against education in general.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/22/17 11:52 am

Post Cojak
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

I think at least one reason for the pushback on this is that some really don't value education, and even look down on it in general. In such people's minds, seeing someone who is successful have an unaccredited degree or an honorary doctorate only reinforces their bias against education in general.

I think I understand what you are saying here QW and agree. I know earlier in my life many folk scoffed at education, many felt that 'Educated' folk were trying to disclaim or change the Scriptures when they would read or mention a version of the Scripture other than that of KJ. Confused
8/22/17 11:57 am

Post UncleJD
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

Unaccredited degrees and/or degree mill diplomas are a problem - I agree with Old Timer on those.

I just don't agree when he lumps Honorary Degrees in with those. When those are awarded by legitimate institutions, they should be recognized.

My feelings exactly, though I don't mind his posts, they humor me.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/22/17 12:05 pm

Post bonnie knox
If I'm understanding Ole Timer's stance, he's all FOR recognizing honorary doctorates--just as awards and not educational degrees.
In any case, the fact that he had to clarify here what the deleted thread was about, let's me know that Ole Timer still has his work cut out for him.

Nature Boy Florida wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/22/17 1:31 pm

Post bonnie knox
If we all "got" it, we would ignore rather than push back.

Carolyn Smith wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

He gets pushback because he continues to report on it all the time and nobody else really cares. What good does it do to report to us that someone else is behaving unethically without naming names (which has now been forbidden?) It seems to be his personal crusade, which is fine, but no one else that I can tell really cares that he has found other wayward ministers. So what is the point? I think we all get by now that it's wrong and lacking integrity by now.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/22/17 1:33 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
bonnie knox wrote:
If we all "got" it, we would ignore rather than push back.

Carolyn Smith wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

Different folks respond in different ways. Most of the time I do ignore it. (Like the thing says, "If you only knew what didn't say!" LOL) I can only speak for myself. I just really don't understand the point of the posts.

OTCP did teach me that using the "Dr" as title if you haven't earned one is not an acceptable thing to do, that it shows a lack of integrity to do so. I'd never heard anyone address it before he began his crusade. I just don't understand what we are to learn from further posts. To me, it's like if I came on here and announced every time I met a sinner. "Yeah, I met another dirty, rotten sinner today." How does that edify anyone, teach anyone or help anyone?

Of course, that is just my opinion. I guess it would help me ignore them if I understood better the purpose.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/22/17 2:10 pm

Post Re: OTCP Old Time Country Preacher
JimmieDavis wrote:
We don't care what your intention is. You have a condescending arrogance about you that makes your opinion minuscule. You are a legend in your own mind.

Then, JimmieDavis, with humility of heart/spirit my apologies are extended for coming across with "condescending arrogance." That is not my intent nor my personality. And it you knew the ole timer personally, you would not feel this way. The parody, now, is a different matter.
Acts-pert Poster
8/22/17 4:59 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic