Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why nothing here about CHARLOTTESVILLE??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Why nothing here about CHARLOTTESVILLE?? Tom Sterbens
Did I miss it?? Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
8/17/17 8:49 am

Post Resident Skeptic
It seems the members of this board have become burned out on politics since the election of last year. Thus, I have not pushed the envelope.

But here is what I posted on my Face Book page concerning the Charlottesville incident....

Quote:
Where is the wisdom in letting one hate-group have a permit to protest, cancel the permit mid-protest, order said hate-group to disperse, force them to walk the gauntlet through a near-by opposing hate-group, let the opposing hate-group physically assault the dispersing hate-group as the police do nothing? The only reason local governments allow such incompetence is when they are hoping for a violent incident to occur.

8/17/17 9:14 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Not sure what there is to say. The country is increasing in idiots - the churches are impotent to stop it. I did see our COG pastor make a statement. I thought it was very good...but how do we stop racial strife when the rhetoric is blasted from our TV/Internet 24/7? How do we stop it when the schools indoctrinate our students with how bad the U.S. is every school day?

I also saw a Lee professor was organizing a race rally at Lee this weekend. Since she and her husband are leaders in the Democrat party - I would be interested in how that goes. I would like to ask her the moral equivalency of the sins of the Confederates from 150 years ago compared to the sin of a country that allows abortion on demand up to 9 months gestation - but alas, I won't be able to be there to ask.

I see everyone here with no power to stop any of this from progressing. Unless a MLK rises up - we are doomed. And if he did - some idiot would shoot him - making things worse - not better. <sigh> Evil or Very Mad
8/17/17 9:16 am

Post UncleJD
We have come to the lowest point in American history in my lifetime of 47 years. We are letting the media fan the flames of 2 violent extreme wings of the left and right who are battling for the attention of the middle. It is 1932 Germany all over again right here in America. In 1932 communists and fascists were fighting for power all over the world. World War II was a battle between Fascism and Communism, both deadly and repressive yet the media coaxes one side, refusing to call them by their name. God help us to stay in the middle and unite somehow.

FWIW - I detest the racists who lead the "protest" and the loss of life was horrifying. No excuses will be given for their actions. Yet I question why groups with body armor and sticks were allowed to congregate anywhere. There was not any signs of a "peaceful assembly".
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/17/17 9:20 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Not sure what there is to say. The country is increasing in idiots - the churches are impotent to stop it. I did see our COG pastor make a statement. I thought it was very good...but how do we stop racial strife when the rhetoric is blasted from our TV/Internet 24/7? How do we stop it when the schools indoctrinate our students with how bad the U.S. is every school day?

I also saw a Lee professor was organizing a race rally at Lee this weekend. Since she and her husband are leaders in the Democrat party - I would be interested in how that goes. I would like to ask her the moral equivalency of the sins of the Confederates from 150 years ago compared to the sin of a country that allows abortion on demand up to 9 months gestation - but alas, I won't be able to be there to ask.

I see everyone here with no power to stop any of this from progressing. Unless a MLK rises up - we are doomed. And if he did - some idiot would shoot him - making things worse - not better. <sigh> Evil or Very Mad

I've said it before. The break-up of the USA along ideological lines is unavoidable. Nothing will stop it. It will happen in my life-time and I welcome it.
8/17/17 9:21 am

Post Cojak
I can remember when it would have been Bush's Fault. Now alas........

I wish it was easily seen by the public what RS said here:

Quote:
Where is the wisdom in letting one hate-group have a permit to protest, cancel the permit mid-protest, order said hate-group to disperse, force them to walk the gauntlet through a near-by opposing hate-group, let the opposing hate-group physically assault the dispersing hate-group as the police do nothing? The only reason local governments allow such incompetence is when they are hoping for a violent incident to occur.

Even in hind sight folks cannot see it. WE were in the ECLIPSE! Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/17/17 9:32 am

Post UncleJD
Resident Skeptic wrote:

I've said it before. The break-up of the USA along ideological lines is unavoidable. Nothing will stop it. It will happen in my life-time and I welcome it.

I don't. I don't want to see economic suffering added to the rest of the problems. We are stronger together, but unity doesn't sell air-time.
8/17/17 9:59 am

Post Resident Skeptic
UncleJD wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

I don't. I don't want to see economic suffering added to the rest of the problems. We are stronger together, but unity doesn't sell air-time.

I'm afraid that "being together" is soon to become a liability rather than a strength. Why weaken the healthy parts of the body by keeping them tied to the parts that welcome disease? Any conservative States cannot remain strong remaining in a Union with communist States.
8/17/17 10:02 am

Post UncleJD
If California leaves it might be enough Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/17/17 10:06 am

Post Da Sheik
The media is largely to blame for our nation's problems. They always put their agenda before the good of the country. Every time some idiot organizes any type of "protest" the media sweeps in and fans the flames of division. I have seen it firsthand.

Televised sporting events illustrate how we should handle things. When some spectator "streaks" onto the field, the cameras cut away. If we would quit putting fools on television, they would have less incentive to gather in angry mobs.
Acts Enthusiast
8/17/17 10:36 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Da Sheik wrote:
The media is largely to blame for our nation's problems. They always put their agenda before the good of the country. Every time some idiot organizes any type of "protest" the media sweeps in and fans the flames of division. I have seen it firsthand.

Televised sporting events illustrate how we should handle things. When some spectator "streaks" onto the field, the cameras cut away. If we would quit putting fools on television, they would have less incentive to gather in angry mobs.

Bingo!!
8/17/17 11:40 am

Post Carolyn Smith
There is a thread about Confederate monuments and another about stifling free speech.

What - you thought we discussed current events?

That's only if we have time once we discuss who has the latest honorary/phony doctorate or if a church in FL has gotten a pastor yet.

Wink Wink Wink
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/17/17 11:45 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Da Sheik wrote:

If nothing newsworthy were happening, there would be nothing to report. As a lifelong constitutionalist conservative who also has for the past year been doing some journalism for our local small-town paper, one thing I can say is that the media can't 'win' no matter how it tries to report objectively. Some will always object and accuse the media of being biased, no matter what the media tries to do.

For all its problems, the news media is essentially just a reflection of current events in the cultural and political landscape, and responses to the media are yet another reflection of the cultural and political landscape.

If it came down to a binary choice between having a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, the preference of people for whom political freedom is a crucially important value would be clear. Only dictators want to shut down the free press. If you don't like what we print, you can start your own newspaper or just use Twitter to respond.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/17/17 12:13 pm

Post UncleJD
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Da Sheik wrote:

If nothing newsworthy were happening, there would be nothing to report. As a lifelong constitutionalist conservative who also has for the past year been doing some journalism for our local small-town paper, one thing I can say is that the media can't 'win' no matter how it tries to report objectively. Some will always object and accuse the media of being biased, no matter what the media tries to do.

For all its problems, the news media is essentially just a reflection of current events in the cultural and political landscape, and responses to the media are yet another reflection of the cultural and political landscape.

If it came down to a binary choice between having a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, the preference of people for whom political freedom is a crucially important value would be clear. Only dictators want to shut down the free press. If you don't like what we print, you can start your own newspaper or just use Twitter to respond.

Are you insinuating that CNN is objectively reporting "the news" and not playing politics? Same with Fox? Why are they ALWAYS the opposite when you look at their headlines? I appreciate the free press and its role, I don't appreciate the money behind them that pushes them toward a certain slant. I don't know what the answer is, but its killing this country.
8/17/17 12:37 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
UncleJD wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Da Sheik wrote:

Are you insinuating that CNN is objectively reporting "the news" and not playing politics? Same with Fox? Why are they ALWAYS the opposite when you look at their headlines? I appreciate the free press and its role, I don't appreciate the money behind them that pushes them toward a certain slant. I don't know what the answer is, but its killing this country.

No, but you seem to be insinuating things about me. Whatever. I'm getting used to it now.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/17/17 12:39 pm

Post UncleJD
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

No, but you seem to be insinuating things about me. Whatever. I'm getting used to it now.

Nope, that's why I asked the question.
8/17/17 1:01 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
When I say the media is only a reflection of the culture, I am not saying it is always perfectly objective. A reporter, just like everyone else, speaks from his own cultural, educational, and political background, whatever that background may be. How he may perceive, interpret and report the facts will necessarily be influenced by his particular personal context. That context may well be influenced by corporate interests as well.

My main point in all this is that the media is not to blame for the fact that white supremacists decided to hold a rally that happened to become violent and deadly in Charlottesville or that Trump decided to say some stupid things about it. Each news agency may report things a bit differently, but saying, as one poster above said, that the news media is largely to blame for our nation's problems, is really a scary thing for anyone to say when you think about it. There would be no news to report if nothing had happened.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/17/17 1:21 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Carolyn Smith wrote:
That's only if we have time once we discuss who has the latest honorary/phony doctorate.

Wink Wink Wink

Mr. Green
Acts-pert Poster
8/17/17 1:50 pm

Post UncleJD
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
When I say the media is only a reflection of the culture, I am not saying it is always perfectly objective. A reporter, just like everyone else, speaks from his own cultural, educational, and political background, whatever that background may be. How he may perceive, interpret and report the facts will necessarily be influenced by his particular personal context. That context may well be influenced by corporate interests as well.

My main point in all this is that the media is not to blame for the fact that white supremacists decided to hold a rally that happened to become violent and deadly in Charlottesville or that Trump decided to say some stupid things about it. Each news agency may report things a bit differently, but saying, as one poster above said, that the news media is largely to blame for our nation's problems, is really a scary thing for anyone to say when you think about it. There would be no news to report if nothing had happened.

I agree they didn't create the situation, but they learned long ago never to let a good crisis go to waste. I was watching the whole thing live and they were covering it like it was the Apollo 11 launch. Almost giddy about it. And they choose to cover things in the spin they do. i.e. there are only bad actors on one side of this, everyone else was there with their bibles in hand and praying. So yes, after about 30 years of this, they have indoctrinated at least one generation that only believe what they hear on the leftist media and view the world through that one lens so naturally when they are hired to "report", they have worldview they were given.
8/17/17 2:29 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
If they did not cover it, they would catch a lot of flak for that too. A reporter is subject to criticism no matter what he does or doesn't report on. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/17/17 2:33 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic