Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Yes to beet root on hamburgers

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Yes to beet root on hamburgers Link
I went to Australia on a work-related matter.

Australians eat hamburgers with beets on them. If you ask for it, though, say 'beet root' or they won't know what you are asking for.

I had eaten a 'Beast Burger' at a hotel restaurant that had bacon, balsamic onion jam (not sweet), onion rings, colby cheese, beet root, and some other fixings on it. It was an Angus beef burger, and the chunks of Angus beef that flew out of that thing as it fell apart that I tasted tasted like steak. I thought I could taste the beets, but there was a lot going on in that burger.

So I decided to get a burger at Hungry Jack's (Burger King in Australia) before flying out since airplane portions are so small. I asked for beets on it. It is good. It doesn't change the flavor that much, but it adds a moist mild pickly taste the to the burger. I'd recommend it. It's something good to add to a burger. I'm surprised one of the fast food chains hasn't come out with an Australian burger. I don't remember seeing beet root on the burger at Outback, which is an American steak house chain with an Australian theme, as an Aussie friend of mine put it.

I found the city of Perth quite clean. They practically roll the sidewalks up at 6:30 or 7 in a city of 1.6+ million people. The city sets on the Swan River, in walking distance to my hotel. It's probably the prettiest river I've seen. The way it is shaped looks like a lake, and the water is very blue. The small rivers in the Southeast, the Ohio, and the Mississippi all looked a lot muddier.

I also had a brief trip to King's Park. There was a botanical garden. The glass bridge was locked at 5, so I missed my chance. There are places you can view the downtown part of the city and the river from the park. It's beautiful. There are also some war memorials and a number of things in the park I did not get to see. It is quite a big park. One of the people who lived in Perth told me it was one of Perth's bigger parks.

Coming from where I live in Asia, it was really nice to breathe the clean air and enjoy the wide streets. When I first got there, that night it felt like I was in the Twlighlight Zone on one of those streets. Cars were parked, lights were on. It was like I was in an abandoned world.

I tried bangers and mash, which were good, an Aussie burger (really good), a kebab (good also), and fish and chips. The fish was too fishy for me, but I got that late at night at a liquor store that had a fish and chips vendor, so maybe it wasn't the right place to go. I bought some Vegemite, but haven't taken it home. I bought Tim-Tams to eat on the way, but haven't opened them yet. I can find those where I live. I was going to go for an Aussie steak, but I can get those at home, probably for less money, too. They might not be as fresh. But I chose the burger over the steak because I of time, and I figured I'd get to experience something unique about the cuisine from the burger.

There was a buffet at the hotel included in the cost of the training. There was lots of olives, cheese. An American I spoke to in a store said the food was a combination of US and English food. I found the food quite similar, though they probably eat more middle eastern and Indian food. Americans could be quite at home as far as the cuisine goes.

Prices at restaurants were about 150 to 200% the prices in the US. Of course, I was in the city, but I hear they aren't much different out of town.

If any of you happen to be in the Southern and Eastern hemisphere, and want to visit Perth, you could probably make a good vacation out of it. I was on a work trip, so I had a limited amount of time I could devote to recreation, but it was still a good trip in that regard.
8/24/17 2:43 am

Post Thanks for the report excellentposter
I enjoyed reading your post about your trip.Thank you Friendly Face
8/24/17 6:37 am

Post Cojak
Hey Link, I want to echo EP's comment. This was an enjoyable and entertaining read. I have never been to Australia, but would love to. Hey Dr. you have done well for a mountain boy! Take care.

Oh I am curious, the beet must be a pickled from the hint in the comments. I have never had beets except from a can. I made the mistake last time of NOT getting the pickled ones and DID NOT LIKE THEM!

I am glad you took the time to post this. Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/24/17 10:33 am

Post Cojak
Quote Link:
Coming from where I live in Asia, it was really nice to breathe the clean air and enjoy the wide streets. When I first got there, that night it felt like I was in the Twlighlight Zone on one of those streets. Cars were parked, lights were on. It was like I was in an abandoned world. ******

I couldn't help but think back to my childhood when EVERYTHING closed at 5:30-6PM. We played under the street lights if we were outside.

Cool post! Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/24/17 10:37 am

Post Link
Cojak wrote:
Hey Link, I want to echo EP's comment. This was an enjoyable and entertaining read. I have never been to Australia, but would love to. Hey Dr. you have done well for a mountain boy! Take care.

Oh I am curious, the beet must be a pickled from the hint in the comments. I have never had beets except from a can. I made the mistake last time of NOT getting the pickled ones and DID NOT LIKE THEM!

I am glad you took the time to post this. Smile

I don't think I've tried beets any other way but pickled. I remember I liked my mother or grandmother's pickled beets when I was a child. I mentioned it to someone, the concierge, I think and he recommended buying a can of beet root. I couldn't find them next to the olives and pickles at Woolworth's. I asked a young woman standing there. Ironically, she was from Chicago. As far as I know, she was the only American I met when I was there. Some of her sentences sounded a bit Australian. She said her husband was British. She told me to check for beets the next aisle over. I didn't find them and decided to see if I could find them at the new supermarket that is supposed to be open in the apartment I live in when I get back.

I tried my attempt at an Aussie accent. One guy told me I was pretty good, but he would have difficulty placing where i was from. I said something else, and he said he could hear the American accent.

I asked a couple of teens how to get to Woolworths, putting on an Aussie accent. Then I started talking in my normal accent and said I was trying to sound Australian. One of the teens, who looked kind of Aboriginal, said I had sounded like a New Yorker, I think. I said 'New Yorker or 'New Oker'. (An orker is something like 'redneck' in Australia, someone with the Paul Hogan accent, a pot belly, etc.) He meant New Yorker, I think. I'm from the south, so that was kind of funny to me.

I used to not be able to distinguish Cockney British from Australian. I'm trying to learn to hear the difference between New Zealander and Australian. Aussies pronounces the short 'i' in bit like the long 'e' sound in 'eat'. New Zealanders say something in between the 'i' in 'bit' and the 'uh' in 'but.' I think that may be how they tell each other apart.
8/25/17 2:09 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic