Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Are we headed to dangerous trend of stifling free speech? Church?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Are we headed to dangerous trend of stifling free speech? Church? caseyleejones
Free speech has always been the bedrock of the left. Then again, it is a constitutional right.

I have noticed more and more of those on the left attempting to redefine free speech and what is not protected. For one, we are hearing the left say hate speech is not protected speech. The problem with that is that their definition of hate is fluid. It changes based on their feelings. It is considered hate if the speech makes someone feel bad.

Once of the churches in our area are bringing in people by droves and impacting their community. They are vocal about marriage being between one man and one woman. It is a highly liberal community and they have been labeled a hate group.

I laughed when I have always heard preachers say they would go to prison than to relent to gay marriage. Usually it was set up to get a thunderous applause. But I have to say, I am not laughing anymore. Are we headed that direction though? I can see churches losing tax exempt status. But I would have never dreamed we would be entering a time where churches would be under scrutiny and called hate organizations.

Or is this a nothing burger?
Acts-perienced Poster
8/13/17 2:25 pm

Post Cojak
I m frustrated at the public who label anyone with Early American traditions and biblical principles as HATERS. Lately we are using that word too much in relation to some one's beliefs.

It is strange that we are in 'danger of being haters' if we mention gay marriage is despised by citizens of Muslim countries, Even death sentences are not unheard of.

WE Christians DO NOT SAY we should kill 'em, we say they should not do it, it is a sin!

Yes, unless the trend is somehow shunted, anyone not fitting a certain 'LINE' will be labeled as a HATER. And yes the term is very fluid, and there is the danger. Sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/13/17 3:01 pm

Post Re: Are we headed to dangerous trend of stifling free speech? Church? skinnybishop
caseyleejones wrote:
Free speech has always been the bedrock of the left. Then again, it is a constitutional right.

I have noticed more and more of those on the left attempting to redefine free speech and what is not protected. For one, we are hearing the left say hate speech is not protected speech. The problem with that is that their definition of hate is fluid. It changes based on their feelings. It is considered hate if the speech makes someone feel bad.

Once of the churches in our area are bringing in people by droves and impacting their community. They are vocal about marriage being between one man and one woman. It is a highly liberal community and they have been labeled a hate group.

I laughed when I have always heard preachers say they would go to prison than to relent to gay marriage. Usually it was set up to get a thunderous applause. But I have to say, I am not laughing anymore. Are we headed that direction though? I can see churches losing tax exempt status. But I would have never dreamed we would be entering a time where churches would be under scrutiny and called hate organizations.

Or is this a nothing burger?

The simple answer is "Yes". We ARE heading toward the stifling of free speech.
8/13/17 6:39 pm

Post Free Speech Clint Wills
I'm sure there are people on here more knowledgable than I am on the topic, but let's not confuse "freedom of speech" with "I can say whatever I want about whomever I want".

Freedom of speech simply gives us the freedom to speak out against our government. We can freely voice our displeasure with the government, and we often do. It doesn't mean we can speak out against other institutions - and certainly not directly against people.

I definitely agree that the idea of free speech is under attack by both the ignorant AND just plain evil, but the answer is not found in more ignorance.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/14/17 7:24 am

Post Re: Free Speech UncleJD
Clint Wills wrote:

Freedom of speech simply gives us the freedom to speak out against our government. We can freely voice our displeasure with the government, and we often do. It doesn't mean we can speak out against other institutions - and certainly not directly against people.

It sounds like you share the narrow definition of "free speech" with the left. That definition is used to say that preaching against sin would NOT be protected speech. Anything that someone doesn't like is offensive to them and not protected.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/14/17 9:13 am

Post Clint Wills
I share the constitutional view of free speech. We can all say offensive stuff....it happens all the time.

Where things get sticky is when we attack a person or group of people - there are libel laws for a reason. If we'll stick to the sin, and not the sinner, then free speech isn't really an issue.

Regardless of what is legal or illegal, the world is coming after us! Even if we stay strictly within the guidelines of our legal rights Satan is fighting against us...and frankly, he doesn't care about legal or illegal.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/15/17 7:15 am

Post UncleJD
Clint Wills wrote:
If we'll stick to the sin, and not the sinner, then free speech isn't really an issue..

You haven't met the new left
8/15/17 8:52 am

Post Chicago27
You have your wonderful president who will protect you. Friendly Face
8/15/17 9:21 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Chicago27 wrote:
You have your wonderful president who will protect you.

Agreed - if Hillary was in, no telling what would be happening.
8/15/17 12:48 pm

Post Mike Pence for President Mat
Mike Pence for President - as soon as possible.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
8/15/17 2:19 pm

Post Re: Mike Pence for President UncleJD
Mat wrote:

Mat

Not that this has anything to do with the topic

(but you are free to say it) Laughing
8/15/17 2:47 pm

Post Re: Mike Pence for President Mat
UncleJD wrote:
Mat wrote:

Mat

Not that this has anything to do with the topic

(but you are free to say it) Laughing

We are free to say all most anything in America. We are not free to say it everywhere we want (no one is free to come in my house or my church and take the Lord's Name in vain). Public space is the issue.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
8/15/17 3:07 pm

Post Re: Mike Pence for President UncleJD
Mat wrote:
Public space is the issue.

Mat

Is a church pulpit or Sunday School lesson, or the airwaves considered public space? Is a book? Is your past conversations? Your social media? Your college papers? All of these are under attack from the left if they go against their ideology, they are termed "hate" and not protected. Even "thought" is considered hate if you are perceived to be against their goals. Look at the way they react to Trump and call him every name in the book AFTER he plainly and clearly disavows racists groups by name. There is no more hiding behind "love the sinner hate the sin", or "I can be against an action but not against the person" those notions are over and done, they only mean something to old people apparently.
8/15/17 5:05 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic