Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Sectional Presbyter can't get a transfer

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Sectional Presbyter can't get a transfer Resident Skeptic
A good friend of mine is Sectional Presbyter in a particular AG district.

He has been pastoring the same church for 23 years and has served as SP for nearly 10.

He and his wife are both in their early to mid 50's and have no kids.

Sensing that it is time for a change, they have been applying for open pastoral spots in another district. In spite of maturity and yet still relatively young, having life experience, pastoral and executive experience, no family distractions, and incredible endorsements from their district and national headquarters, they keep getting turned down in church after church. The reason? The reason has been the same in every church. The churches prefer a couple between 35-40 years of age with kids, "in order to attract young married couples."

What hogwash. But I do not find this surprising in the least with so much emphasis being placed on "church growth". In my friend they would have wisdom, incredible knowledge of the word, and more time to devote to ministry due to his want for children. But the yuppy millennials know better.

Last edited by Resident Skeptic on 8/10/17 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-dicted
8/9/17 9:28 pm

Post Cojak
Maybe times are-a-changing. But in my life time I have known many ministers in their late 50's who just began to KNOW what is needed to put growth back in a church. I couldn't do in in my 20's......... but then I did give up! Sad Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/9/17 9:43 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Cojak wrote:
Maybe times are-a-changing. But in my life time I have known many ministers in their late 50's who just began to KNOW what is needed to put growth back in a church. I couldn't do in in my 20's......... but then I did give up! Sad Embarassed

The AG will decline rapidly if they follow this model.
8/9/17 10:06 pm

Post diakoneo
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Cojak wrote:

The CoG is following the same model and has been for a while. I think this kind of thing is going on church wide. I agree it is sad and we will face a decline but recognize the AG is congregational so they are more responsible for who is in their pulpits. CoG has allowed congregations more say and thus the same thing is happening.

Here is a hint though if you are a musically talented couple, you will do OK into your 50s, especially if you can blend music and worship styles. PhD...no. Master's degree...no. Talent and "charisma" Shocked

As to decline, I don't know. Perhaps this is a symptom of a deeper problem...
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/10/17 7:50 am

Post Resident Skeptic
diakoneo wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Cojak wrote:

The CoG is following the same model and has been for a while. I think this kind of thing is going on church wide. I agree it is sad and we will face a decline but recognize the AG is congregational so they are more responsible for who is in their pulpits. CoG has allowed congregations more say and thus the same thing is happening.

Here is a hint though if you are a musically talented couple, you will do OK into your 50s, especially if you can blend music and worship styles. PhD...no. Master's degree...no. Talent and "charisma" Shocked

As to decline, I don't know. Perhaps this is a symptom of a deeper problem...

I'll tell you, the church will not be able to maintain its desire for "newer and better" with the tithes paid from salaries of those young married couples with children. It is still the members 50 and older who are carrying the financial load of the church. Watching the GC last night, though, it's easy to see who they are catering to.
8/10/17 8:23 am

Post Cojak
Resident Skeptic wrote:

I'll tell you, the church will not be able to maintain its desire for "newer and better" with the tithes paid from salaries of those young married couples with children. It is still the members 50 and older who are carrying the financial load of the church. Watching the GC last night, though, it's easy to see who they are catering to.

You are saying a lot there RS, probably spot on.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/10/17 9:59 am

Post A Very Sad Report Preacher777
It grieves my heart to see these types of scenarios unfolding in the American church. Many foreign cultures respect the elders in the community. Common sense let alone spiritual leading should show the church some advantages with a proven older couple:

A young pastor's wife is more likely to need more time at a secular job due to the expense of raising children and not having a home that is mortgage free as compared to an older pastor's wife. The time and energy required for work and children leaves almost no time for personal relationships and discipleship with leaders and others in the congregation. How can one expect this young working mother to spend time at prayer meetings or praying with small groups of women? I know of many quality pastors' wives who are pushed beyond limits with work, family and church responsibilities.

I believe this is one of many reasons most American churches/Christians have very weak prayer lives. Obviously the goal is to teach other leaders to help the younger women but the reality is that smaller churches have trouble attracting quality people who are willing to do one on one ministry.

Last edited by Preacher777 on 8/12/17 5:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Friendly Face
8/10/17 6:15 pm

Post Eduardo Nieves
Maybe they can plant a church?
Romanos 8:37
37 Sin embargo, en todo esto somos más que vencedores por medio de aquel que nos amó.

"A Church Without Walls, A Place for All People"
El Nuevo Mana
Eduardo Nieves
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/11/17 11:53 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic