Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Does God make people sick?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Does God make people sick? Link
What do you guys think when you hear or read where someone says that God never makes people sick, and that the Devil is the one who makes people sick? What is your opinion on that teaching?

What about the idea that God never brings calamity (tornadoes, earthquakes) on people?
7/15/17 6:34 pm

Post Re: Does God make people sick? Old Time Country Preacher
Link wrote:
What do you guys think when you hear or read where someone says that God never makes people sick, and that the Devil is the one who makes people sick? What is your opinion on that teaching?

What about the idea that God never brings calamity (tornadoes, earthquakes) on people?

I don't got no opinion on the teaching you reference, Link. I got plenty a good Book verses that destroy it. The teaching you reference is woffie to the core.
Acts-pert Poster
7/15/17 8:04 pm

Post Link
I think there are a lot of 'signs and wonders' movement Christians that think that way, too. There may have been a number of early Pentecostals who considered all sickness to be of the Devil.

I saw a post on Facebook and responded to it. A poster wrote against saying God never causes illness. I was surprised at all the 'Charismatics' of whatever stripe who disagreed with her. I quoted verses that should have settled the case and people were still arguing with me.

I was just about to post again, and someone had deleted the whole post.

The old Kenneth Hagin line of reasoning that certain Hebrew tenses can mean 'allow' instead of 'cause' doesn't hold water, either. Did God allow Himself to strike Jehoram with an illness in his bowels, or cause Himself to do so? Did God allow the breath from His nostrils to drown the Egyptians, or cause it to do so? When you look at enough specific scriptures, the argument has no teeth.
7/16/17 10:45 am

Post Change Agent
Maybe God makes us sick so he can show his healing power or there may be some lession you need to learn. Acts Enthusiast
7/16/17 11:50 am

Post No, he does not make people sick. Sickness robs caseyleejones
steals joy, steals from families. If you truly believe God makes you sick, then you should not attempt to go to the doctor and get well. You would be going against his will. Your body has healing properties in it. God is a healing God.

Will God use sickness? Yes...just like anything else.

We live in a fallen world. Things won't be back to perfect till the next life.

I would never want sickness on any of my children...never...not to make a point....not to show them I'm merciful or to show them how powerful I am by putting it on them and then taking it away.

If God puts sickness on anyone to turn around and heal them to show he is powerful, then he lacks mercy....because I would never do that to my kids if it were ever within my power.
Acts-perienced Poster
7/16/17 2:25 pm

Post JLarry
If God makes you sick or if it is God's will for someone to be sick wouldn't it be a sin to take meds or go to a physician to try to get better.

Simply put, as a Christian don't you want His will.

This whole theory of God puts sickness on us makes no sense to me.

If this makes me a coffee, then I want to be a chief of woffee's.

According to Acts 10:38 Jesus healed ALL who were sick
Please explain to me why He would do do if it were God's will for them to be sick. IMO this theory is sick.

If I knew this was COG teaching I would go by bishop Lewis office tomorrow and hand him a letter of resignation.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
7/16/17 3:21 pm

Post JLarry
For those of you who just happened to find this board I want you to know most of us here are Pentecostal, and we believe good things come from God.

Cancer, heart disease and the likes come from the enemy. Yes some believe God puts bad things on us. We are a place for everyone. Even those who do not believe in healing. They may claim to believe in healing, but why would you believe in healing if you believe it is God's will to be sick.

Acts Mod
7/16/17 3:54 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Deuteronomy 32:39 'Now see that I, even I, am He,
And there is no God besides Me;
I kill and I make alive;
I wound and I heal;
Nor is there any who can deliver from My hand. NKJV

Exodus 15:26saying, “If you will diligently listen to the voice of the LORD your God, and do that which is right in his eyes, and give ear to his commandments and keep all his statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you that I put on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, your healer." ESV

2 Chron. 26:16 But when he was strong his heart was lifted up, to his destruction, for he transgressed against the Lord his God by entering the temple of the Lord to burn incense on the altar of incense. 17 So Azariah the priest went in after him, and with him were eighty priests of the Lord—valiant men. 18 And they withstood King Uzziah, and said to him, “It is not for you, Uzziah, to burn incense to the Lord, but for the priests, the sons of Aaron, who are consecrated to burn incense. Get out of the sanctuary, for you have trespassed! You shall have no honor from the Lord God.”
19 Then Uzziah became furious; and he had a censer in his hand to burn incense. And while he was angry with the priests, leprosy broke out on his forehead, before the priests in the house of the Lord, beside the incense altar. 20 And Azariah the chief priest and all the priests looked at him, and there, on his forehead, he was leprous; so they thrust him out of that place. Indeed he also hurried to get out, because the Lord had struck him.
21 King Uzziah was a leper until the day of his death. He dwelt in an isolated house, because he was a leper; for he was cut off from the house of the Lord. Then Jotham his son was over the king’s house, judging the people of the land.

Acts 12:21 So on a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat on his throne and gave an oration to them. 22 And the people kept shouting, “The voice of a god and not of a man!” 23 Then immediately an angel of the Lord struck him, because he did not give glory to God. And he was eaten by worms and died. NKJV
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/16/17 5:27 pm

Post Re: Does God make people sick? bradfreeman
Link wrote:

Prior to Jesus, no one had seen the Father at any time.

Jesus showed us the Father. There is no clearer picture of Him.

Did He make anyone sick? He healed.
Did He cause any storms? He calmed the storm.
Did He rain fire from Heaven? Wrong spirit.

Jesus is an excellent foundation for the belief that God is good all the time.
Death and destruction come only when we separate ourselves, by unbelief, from Life. Unbelief caused the Jews to fail to enter into the abundant life He had prepared for them and causes us to miss out on the abundance God has for us.

Teaching that our Father is a thief who who steals, kills and destroys promotes unbelief.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
7/17/17 6:08 am

Post JLarry
Quiet the Scriptures you listed came from the Old Covenant accept the one in Acts. Herod was a heathen a God hater. I am a Christian. Huge difference.

Acts Mod
7/17/17 9:27 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
The question in the opening post was, "Does God make people sick?" It is clear from Scripture, that in some cases, He does. The Old Testament reveals the character and ways of God. The fact that we are privileged to be under a New and Better Covenant does not mean God changed. God/Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. He does strike people with sickness and even death when He sees fit. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/17/17 9:35 am

Post bradfreeman
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
The question in the opening post was, "Does God make people sick?" It is clear from Scripture, that in some cases, He does. The Old Testament reveals the character and ways of God. The fact that we are privileged to be under a New and Better Covenant does not mean God changed. He does strike people with sickness and even death when He sees fit.

The old testament veils the character and ways of God. Jesus reveals the character and nature of God.

Acts-dicted
7/17/17 9:37 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Is God big enough to prevent the sickness or hurricane?
7/17/17 10:33 am

Post bradfreeman
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Is God big enough to prevent the sickness or hurricane?

Mine is. Laughing

He's also big enough to let man have dominion over the planet, let one man release death on all mankind, and set laws of physics and nature into motion.

Acts-dicted
7/17/17 12:40 pm

Post my thoughts wayne
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.

Sin caused death but it in most cases did not kill instantly. The punishment was work and pain... working causes a multitude of issues. The body aches, you get dehydrated, you don't eat properly, true exercise does not happen...... Over time this causes issues with the body and unfortunately through procreation some of our sinful penalties are passed through the blood line. Cholesterol issues, heart disease....attitudes, behaviors, eating habits are passed on which perpetuate the punishment from sin.

Adams Job was to take care of the garden but sin changed all that. Instead of caring for we started cutting down rain forests which will release bugs, animals, diseases, etc. God provided for us in the garden but sin cast us out of the garden. We no longer had God giving us heat, cool, food...we had to cut it down, mine it, create it....releasing all kinds of issues.

Does God make people sick? No. But, it is a penalty He set in place
for sin.
Acts Enthusiast
7/25/17 7:33 am

Post Link
JLarry wrote:

According to Acts 10:38 Jesus healed ALL who were sick
Please explain to me why He would do do if it were God's will for them to be sick. IMO this theory is sick.

That verse actually says that Jesus went around doing good and healing all who were oppressed of the Devil.

It doesn't say the only cause for sickness is oppression from the Devil either. It doesn't say that God doesn't ever cause sickness either.

The issue of whether God causes Christians to be sick or just unbelievers is a different issue from the issue of whether God ever causes or has caused anyone to be sick.
7/29/17 10:56 am

Post Link
There is something I really don't get about this. There are people who will talk about how much they believe the Bible, preachers especially, but then say that God never made anyone sick, and only the Devil does that.

I just can't wrap my head around it. Don't well-known preachers actually read the whole Bible? Doesn't every kid that grows up in church read about the plagues in Egypt. The Exodus is one of those well-known stories.

Don't WOF preachers read the Bible? Maybe some of them literally do just stick to about 80 verses or so.

Quiet Wyatt cited several verses on this topic. I'd also like to point out that Paul was blind for a while after Jesus appeared to Him. And do we have any right at all to give the Devil credit for what happened to Ananias and Saphira after they had already lied to the Holy Spirit?

And there are people who ask how can you believe for healing if you believe God puts sickness on people? It didn't seem to stop Jesus or the apostles for believing for healing? And is it opposing God's will to pray for healing? Do I have to reject certain parts of the Bible to trick myself into having faith for healing?

When I pray for the sick, why can't I see myself as an agent of the kingdom of God, reconciling people to God, and believe God to heal even those who are sick because of sin.

Think of some of the things Jesus said to those He healed. He told a man who'd been crippled for many years and healed to go and sin no more lest a worst thing come upon him. He told a crippled man lowered down to him through the roof that his sins were forgiven and asked which were easier to say, 'Thy sins be forgiven thee' or 'Arise and walk.' Then He told him to arise and walk.

Whether people Jesus ministered to who were sick because of sin were made sick through Satan as an intermediary or not, I don't know. And I don't know that every case is the same. If Satan makes some people sick, that doesn't mean everyone is sick is sick because of Satan.

The weird thing is some of the influential people who will say that God doesn't or never has caused illnesses. Kenneth Hagin apparently believed something along these lines. Bill Johnson has taught something similar. And then there are plenty of rank and file preachers who say stuff like this.

If denominations are going to have ordination requirements, shouldn't reading through the Bible have to be one of them?
7/29/17 11:07 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Link wrote:
Kenneth Hagin apparently believed something along these lines. Bill Johnson has taught something similar. And then there are plenty of rank and file preachers who say stuff like this.

Consider the source, Link! Talk about some wacked-out beliefs, just read Phineas Quimby, EW Kenyon, Hagin, Copeland, Johnson, an ever woffie out there. You gonna git some wackos fer shore.
Acts-pert Poster
7/29/17 12:48 pm

Post bradfreeman
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Link wrote:
Kenneth Hagin apparently believed something along these lines. Bill Johnson has taught something similar. And then there are plenty of rank and file preachers who say stuff like this.

Consider the source, Link! Talk about some wacked-out beliefs, just read Phineas Quimby, EW Kenyon, Hagin, Copeland, Johnson, an ever woffie out there. You gonna git some wackos fer shore.

These guys ALL believe Jesus is Lord. So you can't throw out everything they believe because you reject something they believe. Not ALL there beliefs are wacked-out.

Acts-dicted
8/3/17 2:11 pm

Post Let's not forget... Daniel Rushing
He killed Ananias and Sapphira. Also, in 1 Cor. 11, Paul claims that taking the Eucharist unworthily results in the judgments of sickness and death.

I don't like it. But there's a lot of things about God I don't like.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/10/17 3:17 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic