Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Metro - Can the AB find a suitable Pastor from Alabama?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Peanut Butter
LonghornFan wrote:
Peanut Butter wrote:
I don't have a dog in the fight, but I am interested. I too would like to hear from Tom's perspective on his reasons for the selection. Although, it is noted no one else has offered a name, nor given a reason why the one name submitted is not suitable.

I did some of my own asking, and from a very reliable source in Alabama I hear great things. Patrick is an unlikely candidate because he has apparently marched to his own drum beat, and has not followed the traditional paths of promotion, but he seems to have been successful non-the-less. I have been told his name was mentioned in several circles from men that know him and his work up close.

I was told the church runs closer to 500 and the stats given earlier are old. He assumed the roll of Pastor there with 7 elderly white people in a black neighborhood. They have since relocated and revitalized and are growing fairly quickly. Judah4Him mentioned Patrick was at his "first church", but failed to mention he's been there 12 years, and was an Executive and Student pastor prior to that. I don't think a man can run a church that size on 50k per year (as suggested) and if he can, he is not only suitable for the Metropolitan Church, but maybe he should be promoted to the General Overseers office. Additionally, Metro may have a large income, but a fairly healthy outgo as well, with considerable debt. His church, Christian Life has zero debt.

Has anyone reached out to him? We are discussing the qualifications of a man that may not even be interested in a move if he were offered.

This post is interesting. I don't know much at all about Metro, except that Raymond Culpepper pastored there. I have never heard of Patrick Casey before reading this post, but I looked at his Facebook and website. He seems to be a very confident young man. It makes me wonder if your Alabama source may be the man himself. The pictures of his church look like it is in a storefront of some type. You mention that his church is debt free. Do they own the shopping center or lease it?

The church was in debt when he arrived. That was paid off, 10 acres of land purchased, all renovations to the previous properties and the new LEASED building are free of debt. My understanding is the current space buildout and furnishing for the was upwards of 150k, all paid. ARE you suggesting that somehow "leasing" a space is less expensive? In essence, that is what all churches do as long as there is a lien holder.

Last edited by Peanut Butter on 7/15/17 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Friendly Face
7/15/17 9:13 am

Post Judah4Him
I wasn't just referring to PC. Just asking a question in general.

BUT since you brought that up specifically, from where did Bachelors come?
Friendly Face
7/15/17 9:54 am

Post LonghornFan
Look here ol Peanut Butter, I don't have a dog in this hunt. For you to say that you don't know this pastor, you sure are mighty touchy. You know waaaay more about it than I do. Sounds to me like y'all are more like PB&J.

I am just asking questions. I ran into a friend in the Holy City this week that knows this situation well. We were small talking about some of the discussions on acts, and this was one of them. My question about own vs lease was in response to the statement you made that the church was "debt free." Yes, it is easier to be debt free when you own no real estate assets. It is this little thing called "equity." Your statement that there is no difference from leasing and buying is uninformed. Yes, you may pay a mortgage. However, you can eventually pay it off. You never pay a lease off. You never own it.

Like I said, it is no skin off my teeth. From what I heard this week, I think this pastoral placement is going to be handled from the 1st Assistants Office. I was told that there were a few men who asked about the Alabama pastor that came from Georgia. I can tell you with assurance that neither of the Georgia pastors that came to Alabama are going anywhere. The top candidate now is a man from out of state who is currently a staff pastor at a large church. The only place that I have heard Pastor Casey's name mentioned is on this board by Tom Sterbens. I am sure that he is a good guy and has obviously done a great job where he is. I am not taking away from his abilities at all. I am just sharing informed conversation and wish the best for all involved.
Friendly Face
7/15/17 10:25 am

Post Peanut Butter
Judah4Him wrote:
I wasn't just referring to PC. Just asking a question in general.

BUT since you brought that up specifically, from where did Bachelors come?

There was no other name on the table for discussion, sir. Do you have a name you'd like to discuss? If you do, place it here.

As far as his resume, I suggest asking for it, or you could ask the COG who exempted him from the MIP based on his education and practicum.

The question of the original post was; "Is there a suitable Pastor from Alabama?" Tom seems to think so, and based on his history and current trajectory, I think so. Although, personally, I think he'd be crazy to leave.
Friendly Face
7/15/17 10:31 am

Post Peanut Butter
LonghornFan wrote:
Look here ol Peanut Butter, I don't have a dog in this hunt. For you to say that you don't know this pastor, you sure are mighty touchy. You know waaaay more about it than I do. Sounds to me like y'all are more like PB&J.

I am just asking questions. I ran into a friend in the Holy City this week that knows this situation well. We were small talking about some of the discussions on acts, and this was one of them. My question about own vs lease was in response to the statement you made that the church was "debt free." Yes, it is easier to be debt free when you own no real estate assets. It is this little thing called "equity." Your statement that there is no difference from leasing and buying is uninformed. Yes, you may pay a mortgage. However, you can eventually pay it off. You never pay a lease off. You never own it.

Like I said, it is no skin off my teeth. From what I heard this week, I think this pastoral placement is going to be handled from the 1st Assistants Office. I was told that there were a few men who asked about the Alabama pastor that came from Georgia. I can tell you with assurance that neither of the Georgia pastors that came to Alabama are going anywhere. The top candidate now is a man from out of state who is currently a staff pastor at a large church. The only place that I have heard Pastor Casey's name mentioned is on this board by Tom Sterbens. I am sure that he is a good guy and has obviously done a great job where he is. I am not taking away from his abilities at all. I am just sharing informed conversation and wish the best for all involved.

I agree with you 100%
D.S. and V.M. will not leave for Metro. The front runner is a name that was mentioned before K.W. left for MPN. He's From good 'ol Rocky Top. This will probably all be forgotten as soon as the position is filled.

Last edited by Peanut Butter on 7/15/17 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Friendly Face
7/15/17 10:47 am

Post Judah4Him
I assume you mean JB. If so, that's a great choice. Perfect fit. No horse and pony show. Just solid preaching. Friendly Face
7/15/17 10:50 am

Post Peanut Butter
Judah4Him wrote:
I assume you mean JB. If so, that's a great choice. Perfect fit. No horse and pony show. Just solid preaching.

Thumb Up Thumb Up

Although having never Pastored, He is a great selection.
Friendly Face
7/15/17 10:56 am

Post Judah4Him
This either needs to be a seasoned large church pastor or staffer. Metro numbers may be down for now but they still think and operate like a big church. Friendly Face
7/15/17 11:03 am

Post Peanut Butter
Judah4Him wrote:
This either needs to be a seasoned large church pastor or staffer. Metro numbers may be down for now but they still think and operate like a big church.

ALL three previous Pastors of Metro fit that description.

The only "inexperienced" Pastor Metro ever had was R.F.C when he started it, yet, he was the only one to experience great success.
Friendly Face
7/15/17 11:20 am

Post Judah4Him
He's in a league of his own. Class personified. You'd never see him post pictures of cars etc. to brag on Facebook. People with real money don't have to tell anyone. Friendly Face
7/15/17 11:32 am

Post Metro - VM MI6
It is understood that VM has multiple members and friends at Metro who want him to come there... and he found out that his current location was not what he was told that it was... this will get interesting. Friendly Face
7/15/17 1:48 pm

Post Judah4Him
He'd make a fine choice there. He and Jamie are class acts too. Friendly Face
7/15/17 2:00 pm

Post Judah4Him
Dr. Michael Welborn (Executive Pastor) appointed as interim pastor. Sounds like they are going to take their time and find the right person. Smart move. I sense Dr. Culpepper will have some influence in this decision which is probably smart as well. Friendly Face
7/17/17 8:39 am

Post Maximum Strength Pamprin Belieber
Judah, take 2 caplets every 4 hours for menstrual cramps. Hey, DOC
7/17/17 10:59 am

Post Judah4Him
My my. Taking the heat awfully PERSONALLY with these screen names. Hmm. Friendly Face
7/17/17 5:16 pm

Post I want to be careful here aprilmay2.0
Im not really good with initials, and I don't want to malign anyones character.

From a personality standpoint, I struggle with VM in that church. He's not baptist enough for Metro. Thats not a cut on Metro, its just a personality issue.

From a qualification standpoint I struggle with JB because he's never pastored. Can an AB in good conscious appoint an out of state guy (both of these are out of state men) one of whom has NEVER led a congregation and one of whom would need to make some big changes in style and approach?

I went to Metro a few times when RC was there. I think he should go back.

Just my 2 cents
Friendly Face
7/18/17 10:36 am

Post LonghornFan
Certain churches carry a lot of influence and prestige. While there may be larger churches in attendance, there are certain churches that just carry a certain influence, because they are strong in various ways within the denomination. I know that Metro was once THE premier church in Alabama. I have ministered in Alabama many years ago, but have lost track of things some. Is Metro still considered the "premier" church in regard to influence in the state? Friendly Face
7/18/17 1:47 pm

Post JB is the real deal!!! Billy Humphrey
JB from Cleveland is the real deal! While his history is that he hasn't been the lead guy yet, I say it's only a matter of time and the church that extends that offer to him will not regret that decision in any way. JB speaks at WCOG frequently and at Lee. If KP and PC extend that opportunity I think Metro can too. He is a gifted communicator and a gifted leader. He leads staff, council, and budget as well under KP. His family loves Jesus and each other. They as a family love God and His people.

Full Disclosure: I consider JB a friend and he may not want me posting on here about him, but I gladly post under my name to speak highly of my confidence in him... I messaged him to tell him I was going to do this.

So therefore I move previous question on all business before the house to vote JB into Metro... ok I know that's out of order. LoL!!!
Friendly Face
7/18/17 3:51 pm

Post Judah4Him
Great post, Billy.

He does regularly speak at Lee. That's the caliber Metro needs.
Friendly Face
7/18/17 4:31 pm

Post Redneck
Judah4Him wrote:
Do you think Metro would welcome a pastor with no degree past HS diploma?

I could almost with certainty say no.
7/19/17 4:54 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic