Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Prayers for My Long Sabbatical...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Prayers for My Long Sabbatical... diakoneo
After 17 years of pastoring full-time, I am taking an extended sabbatical. This morning I resigned from my church. If the Lord leads, I may one day pastor again. Right now I don't want to think about it for at least 3 months.

I am burned out. Drained emotionally and spiritually. I am leaving a great congregation of supporting saints. It was a sad day but I must tell you now that I feel a tremendous amount of relief. It was hard for me to leave but much harder for me to stay.

I now ask for your prayers as I make this transition. God is able. I will do all that I can and trust in His hand of power. He led me to where I am and is continuing to lead.

Thanks!!
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/18/17 9:31 pm

Post Cojak
Just a note from the outside.
I have said so many times, WE (the COG) needs to find away to give a pastor a month sabbatical with at least 1/2 pay. Full pay if possible augmented for a fund that could be set up with donations or grants.

My dad retired, within two months I think he was regretting it. He needed the pastors 'job' but was 'tired' he thought.

I relate that to my own experience. As a General Contractor after about 20 years I was BEAT. I wanted to go as deep in the mountains as possible. I tried that and in three weeks I was ready to BUILD again.

I know a pastor must need that, I pray you are blessed and yes, even from a distance, I can believe the weight-off is a blessed relief. You are in my prayers my friend. Keep us updated when you can! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/18/17 10:03 pm

Post bonnie knox
I will pray for you. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/19/17 7:05 am

Post JLarry
I just prayed for you. I would have advised you to take a break. I went through a burn out in 2001. After about 3 years I tried to get back in. Gave up cor a while now trying to get back in. This is the hardest challenge in over 40 years of ministry. My problem, I have A.G.E.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
6/19/17 8:36 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Prayin fer ya, D. God's best as ya replenish ya self. Acts-pert Poster
6/19/17 8:38 am

Post Church closes during July bradfreeman
I know a large church that cancels all services throughout July and encourages its people to visit other churches. Another post discussed the need for pastors to get a break, perhaps at 1/2 pay. This would give them a month off at full pay.

Is this a good idea?

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
6/19/17 12:39 pm

Post Most Evangelical Churches in the County Where I Pastor FG Minister
Require their pastors take a 4-8 week Sabbatical with full pay every 5 or 7 years. One pastor went to Greece (church paid) for 2 of his 4 weeks just to trace the steps of Paul. Another went to Europe for 8 weeks (church paid) where he did sightseeing but also spent time at several religious sites doing research. Another has 7 weeks every 7 years with full pay, but no church sponsored activities.

It is widely accepted practice here. However, I have been here 20 years and have never taken a Sabbatical - although the congregation would grant it if I asked. But since I am indispensable, I don't. (Tongue firmly planted in cheek).
Acts-celerater
6/19/17 3:02 pm

Post Re: Prayers for My Long Sabbatical... FLRon
diakoneo wrote:
After 17 years of pastoring full-time, I am taking an extended sabbatical. This morning I resigned from my church. If the Lord leads, I may one day pastor again. Right now I don't want to think about it for at least 3 months.

I am burned out. Drained emotionally and spiritually. I am leaving a great congregation of supporting saints. It was a sad day but I must tell you now that I feel a tremendous amount of relief. It was hard for me to leave but much harder for me to stay.

I now ask for your prayers as I make this transition. God is able. I will do all that I can and trust in His hand of power. He led me to where I am and is continuing to lead.

Thanks!!

I'm sure the Lord will lead you into the exact spot He has already prepared for you.

Churches, especially denominational churches, should make available the opportunity for paid sabbatical at least every 3 to 5 years. The benefits would far outweigh any potential drawbacks IMO.
6/19/17 3:22 pm

Post Re: Church closes during July diakoneo
bradfreeman wrote:
I know a large church that cancels all services throughout July and encourages its people to visit other churches. Another post discussed the need for pastors to get a break, perhaps at 1/2 pay. This would give them a month off at full pay.

Is this a good idea?

I think this is a good idea.

Long-term pastorates are being encouraged in the Church of God. With long-term pastorate comes the familiarity with members and families. As time progresses you become pastor to many many family members that do not attend. These generally cause the most head-aches. A sabbatical should be encouraged after 5 years. I think this would have increased productivity and longevity. As it stands now I really don't think I want to go back. If I can find a way to help some local pastor and expand my business that is what I will do.

If God leads me to pastor, I will do it, of course.

Thanks for your prayers!
6/19/17 10:17 pm

Post diakoneo
If feels good to not be pastor by the way! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Like a gigantic burden lifted. Even though I have tons of things to do, I feel like I have more energy than I have had in a long time!
6/19/17 10:19 pm

Post skinnybishop
Praying for you. I am very supportive of sabbaticals and wish our denomination would implement a process for them.

I think it's sad that their is much opposition to the concept. I was on another forum, and there were many who vehemently disagreed with the idea.

Most of the disagreement was based on jealously.

1. I'm the CEO of a business, I promise my job is as demanding as a pastor. I can't take extended leave with pay

2. I've been a pastor for 50 years and I've never even take a vacation! Pastoring is a calling, bless God! I don't see why the church should pay me to do nothing.

Smh
6/20/17 8:27 am

Post Re: Prayers for My Long Sabbatical... georgiapath
diakoneo wrote:

Thanks!!

I hope it works out well for you.
Acts-dicted
6/20/17 10:49 am

Post Re: Most Evangelical Churches in the County Where I Pastor Old Time Country Preacher
FG Minister wrote:
I have been here 20 years and have never taken a Sabbatical - although the congregation would grant it if I asked. But since I am indispensable, I don't.

You CANNOT afford to take a sabbatical. You are one of the minority of COG pastors who use the title "Dr." what has a real genuinely earned docterate. FG, its fellers like you what maintains the protocol an operates ethically. You can have a week off, but you gotta stay in the pulpit son. Ifn you don't, somebody with a milled or honery worthless sheepskin is gonna come along, an unfortunately, the average church member don't know the difference, an they gonna creep in unaware (Jude said) an take ya spot. Don't do it. Don't let em.
Acts-pert Poster
6/20/17 2:56 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic