Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The Power of Presence...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The Power of Presence... Aaron Scott
Last night, in our neighborhood, there was a candlelight vigil for a young man that had been shot. I didn't know the man, but some of the folks in my church did. So I just showed up to be with them.

As I was explaining to my son as we drove away afterwards, you don't have to have something to say...or even be all that well-connected with folks. Sometimes, just showing up says something.

I was then reminded of something that happened over 20 years before....

My grandmother Scott was the first death in the Scott family since I had been born. But in 1993, she passed away. We were all saddened, even though she had lived a long life, etc. At the graveside service in Cleveland, TN, two men arrived that had driven over 600 miles just to stand with us. One of those men, Rev. Don Tanner, is the pastor of the Church of God in Ruskin, as well as the minister that married my wife and I.

They didn't have a part in the service...they simply came and was with us. I don't know if I could tell you who else was there--I don't even remember, right off, who preached the service. But I DO remember those two men, who deeply loved my father and our family, driving all that way...just to be with us.

Then I thought of the presence of the Lord.... When Jesus shows up, He doesn't even have to "say" anything. His presence alone does something wonderful for us, doesn't it? It makes it easier to take yet another step, to keep hammering away, etc.

Yes, we'd be happy if He had a message that our trial had ended, that we were now being promoted to a higher place in God, etc. But just being there...WITH US ("God with us")...means the world, doesn't it? There is comfort in His presence because we know He cared enough to show up.

Aren't you glad you know Jesus? Aren't you glad He's shown up at those tough or weak moments when it matter so very, very much.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/16/17 1:41 pm

Post Cojak
YES yes YES! Just showing up means a lot. At a funeral of a dear friend, Beaunea Moody, widow of W.D. Moody, at the beginning of the service the General Overseer had made a video especially for the funeral.

Many preachers had a 'big send off' but as life goes on and years the widow passes, many times nothing our of the ordinary is done. But that video blessed me, and I know it did the family!

Yep, just show up, it makes a world of difference.

I Loved this post! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/16/17 10:34 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic