Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Bethel Church and "Grave Sucking"..explain?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Never heard of grave sucking before, BUT... Aaron Scott
I am sure I am not alone in having prayed that the anointing that rested on this or that great preacher (perhaps now deceased) would also rest on me.

Elisha asked for a double-portion of Elijah's anointing.

Now, it may be that "grave-sucking" is much further out than what I've mentioned. Or it may be that something quite common has been given an unfortunate name that has made it seem like something far worse.

In any case, to pray for the sort of anointing that this or that person had on them...well, I don't see how that's a bad thing. I'm not saying God will do it for you, but I don't see that it's a terrible thing.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/16/17 11:20 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrHPTs8cLls Acts-pert Poster
6/16/17 2:12 pm

Post I was with him until... Aaron Scott
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrHPTs8cLls

I didn't see a problem with anything he said for the first half. But as soon as he invited the students around him, it went south in a hurry. And when the girl started "prophesying," NOPE.

But as Farrell Kyser used to say, "Eat the hay and spit out the sticks." Has anyone ever been to the site of the Shearer Schoolhouse Revival and not asked God to do it again? Not felt faith arise that, if He did it then, He can do it again? I think that the intent here was positive. But anytime there is sincerity, the enemy or just loonies will seek to be part of it...and give it a bad reputation, if possible.
6/16/17 9:33 pm

Post Re: I was with him until... Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
Has anyone ever been to the site of the Shearer Schoolhouse Revival and not asked God to do it again? Not felt faith arise that, if He did it then, He can do it again?

Don't know any Shearer Suckers maself!
Acts-pert Poster
6/16/17 11:31 pm

Post Clint Wills
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Clint Wills wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Grave sucking -- Pure charismaniac idiocy.

I find it funny that a group of pentecostals is hammering someone for "pure charismaniac idiocy". I've grown up in pentecostal churches my entire life and have seen a BUNCH of charismaniac idiocy.

So are you fer it or agin' it, Clint? Me personally, I am not in favor of any unscriptural idiocy, nor of idiocy in general.

I'm not for it, but neither am I for ripping one apart one pastor for it while giving and entire denomination a pass. I feel like maybe we ought to tend to our own business before we concern ourselves with someone else's ministry.
6/17/17 6:00 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Clint Wills wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Clint Wills wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Grave sucking -- Pure charismaniac idiocy.

I find it funny that a group of pentecostals is hammering someone for "pure charismaniac idiocy". I've grown up in pentecostal churches my entire life and have seen a BUNCH of charismaniac idiocy.

So are you fer it or agin' it, Clint? Me personally, I am not in favor of any unscriptural idiocy, nor of idiocy in general.

I'm not for it, but neither am I for ripping one apart one pastor for it while giving and entire denomination a pass. I feel like maybe we ought to tend to our own business before we concern ourselves with someone else's ministry.

What denomination are you referencing, Clint?
Acts-pert Poster
6/17/17 8:18 am

Post LDS Baptism for the Dead Mat
You may remember the story of LDS members being baptized in the name of dead Jewish Holocaust victims they had read on memorials in Europe. There was outrage from the Jewish community, seeing as their dead relatives never converted to LDS when they were living and they were put to death for being Jewish.

Discernment is a Gift of the Spirit, but many Christians (I'm not saying LDS are Christians) can't tell the difference between being sad or sentimental, as opposed to the true working of the Spirit. People view the horror of the Holocaust and they want to connect because they feel sad (and guilty). The LDS connect by being Baptized in the name of the dead thinking they are somehow helping them to a better next life, or like many who are not Jewish, but who want to "pretend" they are part of that community so they play at Jewish customs (someone said of the tribes of Israel, the biggest is the "want-to-bees").

So this human emotion to be connected to something or someone is not new, after all the genealogy industry is proof of that. However, it is not a Gift of the Spirit, nor can you receive the anointing of the dead by laying on their grave. We are told to not communicate with the dead (King Saul lost his kingship and his soul over such activities). In Jewish customs, you became unclean and could not enter the Temple until you were cleansed if you walked on graves.

The practice is un-Biblical and relates more to a kind of Shintoism, worship of the spirit of ancestors, than Christianity. You may have a reverence for past Christian leaders who have died, but trying to somehow connect with them by laying on their grave is at the least disrespectful (could be trespassing) and at worst is more akin to witchcraft. "Let the dead bury the dead" by being who God wants you to be in his Kingdom. "Try the spirits" and see which are of God. One day somebody may get shoot dead for laying somebodies dead great grandfather's grave. Now that's what you call irony!

Mat

PS Have you wondered why a bunch of drunks in a bar will cry one minute when "The Old Rugged Cross" is sung, and stomp the floor and clap for "All my Exes Live in Texas" the next? They cry because of sentimental memories of their childhood in church and they clap because they're glad their exes are in Texas. If it isn't Godly sorrow that leads to repentance, its just emotions.
Acts Enthusiast
6/17/17 8:53 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic