Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Ear rings (bobs) Men and the fad?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Ear rings (bobs) Men and the fad? Cojak
I once had a vision of a pig tail and one big gold ear ring. But figgered my wife would add the eye patch if I decided to be a pirate. So I never followed through.

Now that I don't have the hair, the male ear rings seems to be accepted. However at 78 I reckon I will pass.

Since it seems to be accepted, do you notice any COG male members wearing the 'ear' jewelry? If so would it bother you for a leader or pastor to wear the ear ring?

I remember an NFL player's quote concerning his coach, "He treat us like men, he allow us to wear ear rings!" Shocked Is it now macho?

Just curious. Confused Confused I have a good cell signal And it is a slow day in the mountains. Very Happy
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/6/17 10:45 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
You ain't just thinkin, Cojak. I done seen at ear ring thing in more than a few fellers ear. Lots of em is in music ministry. An they seem to go with a tattoo of some kind (fer Jesus of course). An skinny britches too. An more than one I done seen with all the above what talked with an intentional light lisp (learned behavior, not a physical defect).

I don't know what it is, bro...........
Acts-pert Poster
6/6/17 3:11 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
You ain't just thinkin, Cojak. I done seen at ear ring thing in more than a few fellers ear. Lots of em is in music ministry. An they seem to go with a tattoo of some kind (fer Jesus of course). An skinny britches too. An more than one I done seen with all the above what talked with an intentional light lisp (learned behavior, not a physical defect).

I don't know what it is, bro...........

I know what it is and I dont like it. But thats just my personal preference.

I'm not real sure how I would handle it if a male wanted to be on our praise team lookin like this or wanted a leadership position in our church. I know its only outside appearance and that beauty is only skin deep , but ugliness goes all the way to the bone.

Cool
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/6/17 4:32 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
I'm not a big complainer about women and earrings, but I think it looks tacky on a man. If I were a pastor, I would not hire a man wearing an earring to be the janitor, much less to serve on ministerial staff.
6/6/17 4:59 pm

Post Cojak
Resident Skeptic wrote:
I'm not a big complainer about women and earrings, but I think it looks tacky on a man. If I were a pastor, I would not hire a man wearing an earring to be the janitor, much less to serve on ministerial staff.

My friend, you can take the boy out of the mountains, but you just can't take the Mountain out of the boy! But well said is the feeling from my neck of the woods in NC.

But the practice is definitely growing. It is hard for me to see the reasoning behind it. I reckon there is nothing wrong with it, times change, fads come and go. (But them tattoos are mostly for ever! I have a $5 one. Got it in '56 in J'ville, NC. Ain't faded much!)

You can take them ear rings out! Shocked
6/6/17 7:41 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Cojak wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

My friend, you can take the boy out of the mountains, but you just can't take the Mountain out of the boy! But well said is the feeling from my neck of the woods in NC.

But the practice is definitely growing. It is hard for me to see the reasoning behind it. I reckon there is nothing wrong with it, times change, fads come and go. (But them tattoos are mostly for ever! I have a $5 one. Got it in '56 in J'ville, NC. Ain't faded much!)

You can take them ear rings out! Shocked

They'd have to.
6/6/17 8:42 pm

Post Da Sheik
As an older man, I would look ridiculous if I tried to sport an earring. I remember some time back in the early 90's I had a youth pastor who got his ear pierced and you would have thought he had been caught in the act of adultery. Lots of my congregation thought he had backslidden to the bottom.

As a minister, I try to operate under the principle of avoiding needless offense. I have tattoos from my time in the military, but thankfully they are not in any prominent locations. I'm able to conceal them easily. I wouldn't get a tattoo now or wear an earring for the same reason. I see no point in bringing needless controversy just so that I might express myself. As silly as it may sound, something as simple as an earring or a tattoo might prevent me from ministering to a certain segment. It's just not worth it to me.

Just to clarify my position- I don't see either of those things as inherently sinful. I just see how they could be an impediment to one's ministry.
Acts Enthusiast
6/12/17 12:04 pm

Post Cojak
DASheik said:
Just to clarify my position- I don't see either of those things as inherently sinful. I just see how they could be an impediment to one's ministry.

A very good position.

And I can believe the reaction you mentioned concerning the pierced ear, would be the same in many congregations. There is enough problems around without inviting more. Cool
6/12/17 11:15 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic