Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Does God get angry at you for sinning?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post bradfreeman
Resident Skeptic wrote:
bradfreeman wrote:
Link wrote:
This is a passage where God gets vengance on those who commit a sin, written to an audience of believers to convince them not to commit the sin.

I Thessalonians
3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
5 Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:
6 That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.

Avenge - ekdikos - avenging, subst: an avenger (the word occurs frequently in the sense of a special advocate [champion] of a city).

It is encouraging that we don't have to avenge ourselves.
If Paul is not simply the statement in other epistles that we should act like those Gentiles still under His wrath:
1. Is God at peace with the believing offender?
2. Is His correction a. proof of sonship and b. for our good?

The whole purpose of receiving the Spirit is because without it, we are still in the flesh with a mind set on the things of the flesh ,and cannot please God (Romans 8).

Quote:
5 Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.

6 The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.

7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so.

8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you.
And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

God's Spirit is given to bring a change in behavior. If one is living with their mind set on what the flesh desires, either they never received the Spirit, or they have relieved him of his authority as governor of their life, and are no longer submitted to the lordship of Jesus. They are at enmity with God and will be damned.

Yes! He produces more fruit in us as we have our minds renewed...as we become more spiritually minded!

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
5/10/17 10:25 am

Post Resident Skeptic
bradfreeman wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
bradfreeman wrote:
Link wrote:
This is a passage where God gets vengance on those who commit a sin, written to an audience of believers to convince them not to commit the sin.

I Thessalonians
3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
5 Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:
6 That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.

Avenge - ekdikos - avenging, subst: an avenger (the word occurs frequently in the sense of a special advocate [champion] of a city).

It is encouraging that we don't have to avenge ourselves.
If Paul is not simply the statement in other epistles that we should act like those Gentiles still under His wrath:
1. Is God at peace with the believing offender?
2. Is His correction a. proof of sonship and b. for our good?

The whole purpose of receiving the Spirit is because without it, we are still in the flesh with a mind set on the things of the flesh ,and cannot please God (Romans 8).

Quote:
5 Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.

6 The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.

7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so.

8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you.
And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

God's Spirit is given to bring a change in behavior. If one is living with their mind set on what the flesh desires, either they never received the Spirit, or they have relieved him of his authority as governor of their life, and are no longer submitted to the lordship of Jesus. They are at enmity with God and will be damned.

Yes! He produces more fruit in us as we have our minds renewed...as we become more spiritually minded!

You did not comment on this part....

Quote:
If one is living with their mind set on what the flesh desires, either they never received the Spirit, or they have relieved him of his authority as governor of their life, and are no longer submitted to the lordship of Jesus. They are at enmity with God and will be damned.

5/10/17 10:49 am

Post bradfreeman
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Quote:
If one is living with their mind set on what the flesh desires, either they never received the Spirit, or they have relieved him of his authority as governor of their life, and are no longer submitted to the lordship of Jesus. They are at enmity with God and will be damned.

A few thoughts:
You need to look at the context of chapter 7 flowing into chapter 8 to understand what Paul means by "the flesh" and being "in the flesh". It means to be under law, a performance-based righteousness where your focus is on you (your good and evil), not Jesus.

Having your mind set on the flesh is having our eyes on us, our performance - whether good or evil.
He wants our minds set on things above where Christ is. He wants us spiritually minded with our eyes fixed on Jesus.

Our success or failure at keeping our thoughts captivated by the obedience of Christ, determines our success, our fruitfulness in our earthly life.

But for everyone, this is the fight, the warfare we are in - the fight of faith.

But as we succeed and fail at different times at keeping our focus, our faith, our thoughts on Him and not us and our circumstances, he remains faithful, leading, teaching, helping.

We don't move in and out of life, sonship, enmity, blessing and damnation. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Acts-dicted
5/12/17 4:56 am

Post Resident Skeptic
bradfreeman wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Quote:

A few thoughts:
You need to look at the context of chapter 7 flowing into chapter 8 to understand what Paul means by "the flesh" and being "in the flesh". It means to be under law, a performance-based righteousness where your focus is on you (your good and evil), not Jesus.

Having your mind set on the flesh is having our eyes on us, our performance - whether good or evil.
He wants our minds set on things above where Christ is. He wants us spiritually minded with our eyes fixed on Jesus.

Our success or failure at keeping our thoughts captivated by the obedience of Christ, determines our success, our fruitfulness in our earthly life.

But for everyone, this is the fight, the warfare we are in - the fight of faith.

But as we succeed and fail at different times at keeping our focus, our faith, our thoughts on Him and not us and our circumstances, he remains faithful, leading, teaching, helping.

We don't move in and out of life, sonship, enmity, blessing and damnation. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Actually it is you who needs to consider the flow from chapters 7 and 8. The emphasis is on BEHAVIOR. The written code could not change Paul's behavior nor free him from the law of sin and death. Even a good law-keeper is still in the flesh without the indwelling Holy Spirit and thus is not free from the law of sin and death, and still has a carnal mind set on the things of the flesh. Paul's remedy for all of this is found in Romans 8. It goes beyond just a distinguishing between grace and being under the law. Paul is dealing with behavior.
5/12/17 7:25 pm

Post bradfreeman
Resident Skeptic wrote:
bradfreeman wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Quote:

A few thoughts:

Actually it is you who needs to consider the flow from chapters 7 and 8. The emphasis is on BEHAVIOR. The written code could not change Paul's behavior nor free him from the law of sin and death. Even a good law-keeper is still in the flesh without the indwelling Holy Spirit and thus is not free from the law of sin and death, and still has a carnal mind set on the things of the flesh. Paul's remedy for all of this is found in Romans 8. It goes beyond just a distinguishing between grace and being under the law. Paul is dealing with behavior.

Thanks RS,

I think Paul deals with behavior in the last 4 chapters of Romans. I think he's explaining what it means to be under the law (a topic he started in 6), judged by your behavior, focused on your behavior and still married to that system.

Acts-dicted
5/13/17 6:20 am

Post Resident Skeptic
bradfreeman wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
bradfreeman wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Quote:

A few thoughts:

Thanks RS,

I think Paul deals with behavior in the last 4 chapters of Romans. I think he's explaining what it means to be under the law (a topic he started in 6), judged by your behavior, focused on your behavior and still married to that system.

Nope. I'm free from the law of sin and death that made me a slave to that behavior. I'm now in the Spirit with my mind set on the things of the Spirit.
5/13/17 1:12 pm

Post bradfreeman
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Nope. I'm free from the law of sin and death that made me a slave to that behavior. I'm now in the Spirit with my mind set on the things of the Spirit.

There's the disconnect...I think. To me, the "law of sin and death" is not behavior, it's the legalistic system of behavior-based righteousness. That's what it means to be "in the flesh", to be basing your life, righteousness and blessing on the performance of your flesh. The mind that bases its its confidence toward God on who you are in the flesh (Jew or Gentile) or what you do in the flesh (good or evil) is the mind set on the flesh. The mind that counts that whole system as loss and dung has its mind set on the Spirit.

Acts-dicted
5/14/17 6:45 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
bradfreeman wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

There's the disconnect...I think. To me, the "law of sin and death" is not behavior, it's the legalistic system of behavior-based righteousness. That's what it means to be "in the flesh", to be basing your life, righteousness and blessing on the performance of your flesh. The mind that bases its its confidence toward God on who you are in the flesh (Jew or Gentile) or what you do in the flesh (good or evil) is the mind set on the flesh. The mind that counts that whole system as loss and dung has its mind set on the Spirit.

The disconnect is on your end. What did Paul lament over in Romans 7 and declare victory over in Romans 8:14?...

Quote:
14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.

15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.

17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.

18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.

20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me.

22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law;

23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.

24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?

25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Then he talks about changed behavior in Romans 8 and the victory he is walking in with a renewed mind set on pleasing God by the creative miracle of Holy Ghost regeneration. Brad, you are not preaching the grace of God in a biblical way. Sorry, but it is true.
5/14/17 8:34 pm

Post renewed mind set on pleasing God by the creative miracle of Holy Ghost regeneration Charles Page
this is Calvinist language ala John MacArthur
It confuses sanctification and regeneration together and denies a work separate from the new birth. It creates all kinds of theological problems as seen in reformed theology, moderated Calvinism.

It is also what is taught at Lee University and PTS under the influence of Donald Bowdle and his reliance on the Westminster Catechism. It is also Assembly of God theology.
5/14/17 9:24 pm

Post Re: renewed mind set on pleasing God by the creative miracle of Holy Ghost regeneration Resident Skeptic
Charles Page wrote:
this is Calvinist language ala John MacArthur
It confuses sanctification and regeneration together and denies a work separate from the new birth. It creates all kinds of theological problems as seen in reformed theology, moderated Calvinism.

It is also what is taught at Lee University and PTS under the influence of Donald Bowdle and his reliance on the Westminster Catechism. It is also Assembly of God theology.

Either way, Paul is giving credit to the Spirit in chapter 8, whether he is speaking of regeneration or sanctification? Right? Furthermore, Calvinism teaches "irresistible grace" for the "elect" and regeneration before repentance. I do not.

My biggest contention with Brad is his stand that grace is all about unconditional forgiveness and not at all about transformative power effecting behavior.
5/15/17 4:59 am

Post bradfreeman
Resident Skeptic wrote:
The disconnect is on your end. What did Paul lament over in Romans 7 and declare victory over in Romans 8:14?...

Then he talks about changed behavior in Romans 8 and the victory he is walking in with a renewed mind set on pleasing God by the creative miracle of Holy Ghost regeneration. Brad, you are not preaching the grace of God in a biblical way. Sorry, but it is true.

In Romans 6, Paul describes how the death of our old nature was accomplished so we could be freed from a "body of sin".

Rom 6:6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; 7 for he who has died is freed from sin.

Our death freed us from sin in our spirits, not not in our "body of sin."

Paul's lament in Romans 7 is that although he is no longer sinning or "in the flesh", he is in a "body of death" that he awaits freedom from. In Romans 8 Paul describes the freedom we have from sin now and the freedom we'll enjoy in the resurrection of our body later.

Rom 7:24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.

We are no longer under the condemnation of sin and death because when our body of sin and death acts up, it is no longer us who do it. We've been freed from sin. We'll be free from our bodies in the resurrection.

In Romans 8, we see we are under the law of the Spirit of life in Christ.

Now we are the children of God, alive in our spirits - born of spirit, producing the first fruits of the Spirit.

When we see Him, we'll get a new body like his - the adoption as sons, the resurrection.

Romans 8:23 And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body.

Acts-dicted
5/15/17 12:40 pm

Post Re: renewed mind set on pleasing God by the creative miracle of Holy Ghost regeneration bradfreeman
Resident Skeptic wrote:
My biggest contention with Brad is his stand that grace is all about unconditional forgiveness and not at all about transformative power effecting behavior.

I believe faith accesses forgiveness.

I totally believe the transforming power of the Spirit producing God's own life in us...love, joy, peace, patience, etc. But God changes from the inside out by sowing seed in the soil of our hearts.

We reap what we sow. If sow a message of fear, we reap fear. If we sow a message of love, we reap love. We receive His Spirit, that produces fruit in us, by hearing with faith.

The conforming pressure of "thou shalt not" will never produce fruit. It might dress you up in fig leaves, sheep's clothes, whitewash the outside or clean the outside of the cup, but it can't cleanse the inside of the cup, the heart. The inside of the cup, the heart is cleansed by faith, not apologies, confessions or promises to do better.

Acts 15:9 and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith.

Forgiveness is freely given to all who believe. Ask Jesus.

Mat 9:2 And they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralytic, “Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven.

Mark 2:5 And Jesus seeing their faith said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven.”

Luke 5:20 Seeing their faith, He said, “Friend, your sins are forgiven you.”

Luke 7:48 Then He said to her, “Your sins have been forgiven.” 49 Those who were reclining at the table with Him began to say to themselves, “Who is this man who even forgives sins?” 50 And He said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

Jesus forgave sins several times. No one ever:
1. apologized
2. promised to do better
3. asked for forgiveness
4. confessed their sins

They believed.

As believers, we HAVE the forgiveness of sins. Redemption IS the forgiveness of all our sins.

Mark 3:28 “Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter;

Acts 26:18 to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.’

Eph 1:7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace

Eph 4:32 Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.

Col 1:14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

Col 3:13 bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.

1 John 2;12 I am writing to you, little children, because your sins have been forgiven you for His name’s sake.

Acts-dicted
5/15/17 1:02 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Quote:
I believe faith accesses forgiveness.

I totally believe the transforming power of the Spirit producing God's own life in us...love, joy, peace, patience, etc. But God changes from the inside out by sowing seed in the soil of our hearts.

We reap what we sow. If sow a message of fear, we reap fear. If we sow a message of love, we reap love. We receive His Spirit, that produces fruit in us, by hearing with faith.

The conforming pressure of "thou shalt not" will never produce fruit. It might dress you up in fig leaves, sheep's clothes, whitewash the outside or clean the outside of the cup, but it can't cleanse the inside of the cup, the heart. The inside of the cup, the heart is cleansed by faith, not apologies, confessions or promises to do better.

The above is exactly what I have been saying. Where you err is you only mention this as a side note. You don't tell the sinner that God is looking to change them. If you would bother to tell the sinner this, your presentation would be fine. But you seem to just tell them how much God wants to forgive them. Thus your hearers do not see the need to seek the change the Holy Spirit brings. To you, Jesus died mainly to forgive what we did instead of to change what we are.
5/15/17 1:38 pm

Post bradfreeman
Resident Skeptic wrote:
You don't tell the sinner that God is looking to change them.

Have you heard any of my "presentations" to sinners? Don't be a gnat-strainer.

Acts-dicted
5/16/17 6:48 am

Post Resident Skeptic
bradfreeman wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

You spam this board daily with your presentations.
5/16/17 7:36 am

Post bradfreeman
Resident Skeptic wrote:
bradfreeman wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

You spam this board daily with your presentations.

Laughing This board is full of preachers...unless you're saying they are "sinners".

Spam? How many threads do I have on page 1?

Back to the OP...we (believers) are at peace with God, our sin doesn't change that.

Acts-dicted
5/16/17 8:36 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic