Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The Value of Camp Meeting

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The Value of Camp Meeting Da Sheik
Camp meeting season is just around the corner. Camp meetings have changed so much since I was a youngster. Years ago, I noticed fewer and fewer laity attending. I missed last year, but the year before I would say it was about 90% ministers and their immediate families in attendance. Most of the preaching and teaching was aimed at encouraging weary pastors and strategies for church growth. None of those things are inherently bad. I have always enjoyed the fellowship aspect of camp meeting. But with the advent of social media, I don't have to wait a full year to see what's going on with my peers who are many miles away. Now I can see every time they check-in at Shoney's or the Waffle House.

For those of you who still attend faithfully, what do you find to be the greatest value of camp meetings ? In the interest of transparency, I will admit that many times I have attended simply out of a feeling of obligation or because I have been involved in some kind of speaking or serving capacity.
Acts Enthusiast
4/12/17 2:08 pm

Post c6thplayer1
The Value's of Camp Meeting ... Of course , there are many values . Heres one.

Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/12/17 3:32 pm

Post Re: The Value of Camp Meeting Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
Camp meeting season is just around the corner. Camp meetings have changed so much since I was a youngster. Years ago, I noticed fewer and fewer laity attending. I missed last year, but the year before I would say it was about 90% ministers and their immediate families in attendance. Most of the preaching and teaching was aimed at encouraging weary pastors and strategies for church growth. None of those things are inherently bad. I have always enjoyed the fellowship aspect of camp meeting. But with the advent of social media, I don't have to wait a full year to see what's going on with my peers who are many miles away. Now I can see every time they check-in at Shoney's or the Waffle House.

For those of you who still attend faithfully, what do you find to be the greatest value of camp meetings ? In the interest of transparency, I will admit that many times I have attended simply out of a feeling of obligation or because I have been involved in some kind of speaking or serving capacity.

I haven't attended Camp Meetings in many years. The last I attended was toward the end of out youth work and had the Children's ' church in WNC.
as you mentioned, I always looked forward to Camp Meetings for fellowship with fellow ministers. I know my age is showing and not being a 'card carrying' minister anymore I am sorta out of the loop so I do not attend.

At near 80 years of age, I just remember the wonderful feelings and great preaching. Then the SUPER fellowship of my fellows. later in the evenings over a snow cone and hot dog. A wonderful feeling that I cannot convey. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/12/17 11:48 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic