Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Men, can you tell if men are good-looking?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Men, can you tell if men are good-looking? Link
I had a conversation at work the other day about whether men can tell if other men are good-looking. Very rarely have I heard one man comment on another man being good-looking.

A couple of men could tell if other men were good-looking. I believe they were both married with families. Others couldn't. Two men said that was something women could tell.

I have almost no sense of whether a man is good-looking. For me, it's about the same as figuring out which dog would look more attractive to the other dogs. I don't have a sense of it.

I could tell if a man is especially ugly. But I'll sometimes ask my wife if an actor if a movie is good-looking, since sometimes it helps with the plot to know who is going to end up with the girl or whatever.

Women seem to be able to tell if women are good-looking.

What about you men? How many of you can tell if a man is good-looking?
3/27/17 1:25 pm

Post Da Sheik
Link, this is one of the most random things I've seen on here, but thank you! I'm enjoying my Monday with some good humor. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say, but yes I think I can discern when a guy is handsome, average, or homely. Acts Enthusiast
3/27/17 1:55 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I have almost no sense of whether a man is good-looking. For me, it's about the same as figuring out which dog would look more attractive to the other dogs. I don't have a sense of it.

But do you have a sense of which analogies will go over like a lead balloon? Confused
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/27/17 2:20 pm

Post UncleJD
I've learned over the years of being married and having a daughter. Otherwise I'd be clueless. Its more of a "not ugly" or "manly vs feminine", and after that it just moves to subjective "preferences" of said female, such as hair-style, clothing choices, speaking voice, and mannerisms. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
3/27/17 2:41 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Very rarely have I heard one man comment on another man being good-looking.

That's actually a relief to hear. Laughing Laughing
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/27/17 2:47 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
I can't tell.

Thankfully, I have never had a need to try to find the best looking man available.

When I was single, I only wanted to know if I could be more charming to the ladies than the dudes nearby.

Luckily, that was always affirmative.

Laughing
3/27/17 3:16 pm

Post Cojak
Okay Link, I will send you a picture of me and YOU WILL KNOW what about a man makes him good looking!

I thought most men (Including preachers ) THOUGHT they were God's gift to women, that is VERY GOOD LOOKING! LOL!!!

When my wife looks at a man over a couple minutes I KNOW she is thinking, "That guy is almost as good looking as my husband (thinks he is)!"

Seriously Yes, I can tell it a man is good looking. I don't see why not. handsome and homely are pretty obvious. Most men can judge the looks of a man, they just don't want someone thinking they are 'shopping'.

At my age I don't care what someone thinks along that line! Smile Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/27/17 5:41 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Yes, men can obviously tell if another man is handsome or not. Worries about being considered homosexual generally tend to dampen such observations in their mind, but since beauty/comeliness is largely an objective reality, yes, even if they refuse to admit it, men know that, say, Cary Grant was a far more handsome-looking than, say, Joe Biden or Donald Trump is.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 3/27/17 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/27/17 7:03 pm

Post Bro Bob
(SPOILER ALERT: if you recorded Survivor last week and haven't watched STOP READING)

My wife and my daughter hated last week's Survivor and the outcome of the tribal council.

I agreed he's a good guy. But they both thought he was VERY attractive. Yuck. I couldn't see it at all.

Last edited by Bro Bob on 3/27/17 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
3/27/17 7:26 pm

Post Charles Page
I am am an extremely handsome man and my opinions are subjective and biased!
3/27/17 7:33 pm

Post (V) bonnie knox
Quote:
...one of the most random things...

I can't get this phrase out of my mind.
It's sort of like "big coincidence."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4wPaBNryA
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/27/17 7:53 pm

Post c6thplayer1
I can only tell when I look in the mirror.. Cool Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/27/17 8:48 pm

Post Cojak
Charles Page wrote:
I am am an extremely handsome man and my opinions are subjective and biased!

And yes, there is THAT! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
3/27/17 9:32 pm

Post Cojak
c6thplayer1 wrote:
I can only tell when I look in the mirror.. Cool

Yeah, ain't they great! Shocked Embarassed
3/27/17 9:33 pm

Post Link
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Yes, men can obviously tell if another man is handsome or not. Worries about being considered homosexual generally tend to dampen such observations in their mind, but since beauty/comeliness is largely an objective reality, yes, even if they refuse to admit it, men know that, say, Cary Grant was a far more handsome-looking than, say, Joe Biden or Donald Trump is.

Quiet Wyatt,

I read a couple of threads online about this a week or so ago. Some men say they can't tell if a man is good-looking. Other men accuse those who say they can't tell of being 'homophobic' or not wanting to seem gay. One woman wrote a message that implied that a male friend who said they couldn't tell if a guy was good looking was lying so as not to seem gay.

As a man who can't tell if other men are good-looking, I wanted to say that those of us who can't tell if men are good-looking are not lying about it. I suppose some men might.

I've heard men say, "My momma said I was good-looking." once on TV, which was a funny comment in context. If other men have to ask their momma's, they probably can't tell by looking in the mirror either. I remember asking my mother if I was good-looking if I was younger. She said I was, that I was about as good-looking as the brunnette on Friends, who was young like I was at the time. I don't know if I was that good-looking, but it made me feel okay. I realized it was my mom's opinion, so it could be biased. Smile

The men I asked were Asians. I haven't noticed in that culture the thing where guys try not to come off as gay. I have heard more men complement other men's looks in this society, and it doesn't seem to have the stigma of being perceived as gay that you hear in the US, but it isn't nearly as common as comments on women's looks. In the past, I didn't think much of such comments, thinking of them as some kind of empty flattery. But it occured to me that some men can actually perceive male attractiveness.

In the conversation I had, some men could perceive it, others can't. I think all of us could tell that the character off of goonies or the guy dressed up like Quasimoto is unattractive. If a man is strange-looking I can tell that.

I wondered if I was lacking a normal ability in not being able to know if men are attractive, but I think there is a sizeable percentage of the male population who is in the same boat I'm in. And it's not a skill I need, since I'm not a movie director, photographer, or someone who works for a modeling agency. I would be curious to know which is the majority, men who have almost no sense of male attractiveness, or those who can perceive it.

If I'd never heard of Carey Grant or Brad Pitt and someone showed me his picture, not done up with fancy lighting like a movie star, I couldn't tell if he's good-looking. I'd have to guess at a man's looks. There was an actor who looks a bit like Tom Cruise I saw on one TV show, flirting with an attractive female lead. He looks like Tom Cruise, who women consider good-looking, and the woman seemed interested, so I concluded that he was good-looking. I don't get Brad Pitt. The same features on a man aren't good-looking to women as the features on a woman that are good-looking to a man, so i don't perceive it.
3/27/17 10:47 pm

Post Link
Bro Bob wrote:
(SPOILER ALERT: if you recorded Survivor last week and haven't watched STOP READING)

My wife and my daughter hated last week's Survivor and the outcome of the tribal council.

I agreed he's a good guy. But they both thought he was VERY attractive. Yuck. I couldn't see it at all.

Has that show been on the air this whole time, or did they just bring it back? I had no idea it was still on. That's the one where they stick they starve the contestants in the wilderness as they try to find their own food, then they vote each other out?
3/27/17 10:54 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I would not use the word, "attractiveness" or "attractive" in this context, as that implies sexual attraction, which I am definitely *not* implying by using the words, "handsome" or "good-looking." I have never felt the least bit attracted to men sexually, but I can definitely see what everybody else can see with regard to beauty/comeliness/handsome features. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/27/17 10:57 pm

Post Link
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I would not use the word, "attractiveness" or "attractive" in this context, as that implies sexual attraction, which I am definitely *not* implying by using the words, "handsome" or "good-looking." I have never felt the least bit attracted to men sexually, but I can definitely see what everybody else can see with regard to beauty/comeliness/handsome features.

Okay, I see what you are saying. I was using the words interchangeably. I didn't mean to imply any man on here was 'attracted' to other men because he could tell if they were good-looking, handsome, etc.

Being able to perceive whether other men are good-looking is actually a skill or an ability, so I suppose it could be useful to figure out what is going on in social interactions. But it's a kill I don't have.
3/27/17 11:02 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Soooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnn, they ain't no way OTCP is gittin involved in this thread. Acts-pert Poster
3/27/17 11:38 pm

Post bonnie knox
C'mon, Ole Timer, you could at least say that when a homely man calls himself handsome, it's like someone calling himself Dr. when he only has an honorary. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/27/17 11:41 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic