Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

When Do You Know It's Time?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post When Do You Know It's Time? Pastor Wright
Pastors,
When do you know that it's time to move on and leave the church you are pastoring?

Last edited by Pastor Wright on 3/23/17 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hey, DOC
3/19/17 2:16 pm

Post bonnie knox
-when the deacons show up with shotguns
-when the LWWB show up with tar and feathers
-when the SO says you can move or you can move
-when your spouse decides to move and asks if you want to join him/her
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/19/17 2:19 pm

Post When the Holy Spirit brotherjames
Says so. Acts-celerater
3/19/17 4:15 pm

Post The Holy Spirit and your heart... roughridercog
Will be your two most used guides. You can get advice from an overseer or fellow pastors, but when the rubber meets the road it will be you and God communicating.
3/19/17 4:23 pm

Post lesserpower
When you find your belongings on the lawn of the parsonage is a start...
3/19/17 8:23 pm

Post Da Sheik
There are times when I feel that I stayed too long and other times when I feel I left too soon. As a rule of thumb, I feel when you and the congregation have reached a stalemate, it might be time for a change. Having said that, I strongly disagree with pastors requesting a transfer at the first hint of trouble/conflict. Acts Enthusiast
3/19/17 8:58 pm

Post Pastor Wright
Da Sheik wrote:
As a rule of thumb, I feel when you and the congregation have reached a stalemate, it might be time for a change.

No real conflict in this situation, just a major difference in the vision for the future of the church. After several years (almost 10, actually) of implementing small changes toward that vision, only to see them be pushed aside for "how we've always done it before" I'm pretty much at a loss for what the next step should be.
3/20/17 8:34 am

Post Pastor Wright
bonnie knox wrote:

Wait... those coupons the deacons gave me for a discount on a Uhaul rental was a hint?
3/20/17 8:36 am

Post One Pastor Told the Overseer... FG Minister
"I need to leave the church I'm pastoring." "Why," the overseer asked? "Throat trouble," he responded. "How can throat trouble cause you to want to leave that church?" The pastor responded "They are going to cut mine if I don't leave." (True Story) Acts-celerater
3/20/17 10:38 am

Post Some thoughts.... Aaron Scott
First, I have heard that it is wisdom to never leave a pastorate UNLESS you already have another pastorate to go to. It's just the truth of the matter that pastors that are just floating around without a church are often perceived as somehow "damaged goods," when the truth might very well be that they are an exceptional fit. DO NOT expect another church to be so spiritual that they will be able to see through all the "baggage" and know that you are the right man.

It is beyond question that we should have God's PEACE about leaving. I think the most pastors do NOT have a clear word from God to depart...however, I like to think that most have PEACE about leaving...and that is very important to have. When you are struggling, struggling, struggling, it MAY be a sign that it's time to leave...or it may be a sign that the devil is fighting because he sees victory on the horizon.

I have seldom known of a pastor who LOVES pastoring his church, whose people love him, who is experiencing great success...wake up an feel that God wants him to leave. It happens, of course. But most of the time there are "signals" that it's time for a change for the pastors...and the church. A pastor sometimes has to own that he has taken a church as far as HE can (he may be worn out, he may have been placed there by God to somehow "keep the lights on" until the next man could get there, he may just know that he has taken them as far as he has the ability to take them). That's perfectly OK...even though it can hurt to see a church suddenly seem to "spring to life" when you leave. But God keeps His Own records. He knows when credit is due you for having borne the heavy load during the most trying times. I have noticed that some pastors, after a building program, leave. I think that PART of that is because it was a wearing and wearying process...and that now that it's done, another pastor can come in a help the church more than they weary pastor could (at the same time, that next pastor might have never been able to shoulder all the weight that the former one did).

Now, if you mean RETIRE, I think there is a different set of markers....

A pastor is often like a heavyweight boxing champion who refuses to retire because, so far, no one has sent him to the canvas. And, when he does finally get hurt, he thinks it was a fluke and will keep on going...until it happens again.

It is RARE, I think, for a pastor to leave at the very top. He may leave NEAR the top, but typically I think the pastor has to realize that it's not working like before. It might be a drop-off in attendance that he is no longer willing to weather, etc. But that is a signal.

Another is HEALTH. Sometimes, a pastor needs to step away from the pastorate precisely because the pressure can wreck one's health (as well as one's relationships with wife and family). Also, it's likely a good idea to step away in GOOD health. Why wait until you're a broken heap? Of course, ALL OF THIS is dependent on the peace and/or direction of God.

Another is FINANCES. If the man is financially stable enough to leave, that helps the decision to be made. If he is NOT financially stable enough to leave, that can make it a challenge to pull the trigger. The parsonage, the utilities, and/or the salary being left behind can likely do more damage than staying, if the pastor is not prepared.

Again, a retiring pastor often has to be knocked down a few times before he realizes that, hey, I can't spring back like I used to...I can't make a comeback like before.

CONCERN ABOUT LEGACY often holds back pastors from retiring, I think. They hang on and on, trying to make a breakthrough (perhaps) or try to ensure that the "right person" follows them and keeps the church going. At some point, we have to leave it in the hands of the Lord. After all, if the Lord builds not the house.... And we have to trust HIM to somehow make it all work according to HIS plan. I imagine many pastors have been disappointed with how things all turned out after they left, but you can't "fix" that. I've known of pastors hand-selecting their successor...only to find out that they made a very poor choice. And I've known (and experienced) GOOD pastors that followed GOOD pastors, creating an ongoing "legacy" of that being a good church! (Thank the Lord for such men who come in continue to build upon a good foundation.)

Ultimately, it's the peace of God that allows us to go forward in confidence. But unless there are "signals," we likely would stay in place forever (which is not a bad thing either!).
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/20/17 10:42 am

Post Pastor Wright
Thank you for the thoughts, Aaron. Your advice should be offered in the training of new ministers.
3/20/17 11:15 am

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
Bro. Wright, no offense, but your topic was misleading. You made it sound like another pastor was leaving his church even though you ask it in a question form. I am sure that is why there are so many views. Friendly Face
3/22/17 9:15 pm

Post Re: Some thoughts.... Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
Ultimately, it's the peace of God that allows us to go forward in confidence. But unless there are "signals," we likely would stay in place forever (which is not a bad thing either!).

The entire comment was VERY GOOD! Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/22/17 11:26 pm

Post Re: Some thoughts.... skinnybishop
Aaron Scott wrote:
First, I have heard that it is wisdom to never leave a pastorate UNLESS you already have another pastorate to go to. It's just the truth of the matter that pastors that are just floating around without a church are often perceived as somehow "damaged goods," when the truth might very well be that they are an exceptional fit. DO NOT expect another church to be so spiritual that they will be able to see through all the "baggage" and know that you are the right man.

It is beyond question that we should have God's PEACE about leaving. I think the most pastors do NOT have a clear word from God to depart...however, I like to think that most have PEACE about leaving...and that is very important to have. When you are struggling, struggling, struggling, it MAY be a sign that it's time to leave...or it may be a sign that the devil is fighting because he sees victory on the horizon.

I have seldom known of a pastor who LOVES pastoring his church, whose people love him, who is experiencing great success...wake up an feel that God wants him to leave. It happens, of course. But most of the time there are "signals" that it's time for a change for the pastors...and the church. A pastor sometimes has to own that he has taken a church as far as HE can (he may be worn out, he may have been placed there by God to somehow "keep the lights on" until the next man could get there, he may just know that he has taken them as far as he has the ability to take them). That's perfectly OK...even though it can hurt to see a church suddenly seem to "spring to life" when you leave. But God keeps His Own records. He knows when credit is due you for having borne the heavy load during the most trying times. I have noticed that some pastors, after a building program, leave. I think that PART of that is because it was a wearing and wearying process...and that now that it's done, another pastor can come in a help the church more than they weary pastor could (at the same time, that next pastor might have never been able to shoulder all the weight that the former one did).

Now, if you mean RETIRE, I think there is a different set of markers....

A pastor is often like a heavyweight boxing champion who refuses to retire because, so far, no one has sent him to the canvas. And, when he does finally get hurt, he thinks it was a fluke and will keep on going...until it happens again.

It is RARE, I think, for a pastor to leave at the very top. He may leave NEAR the top, but typically I think the pastor has to realize that it's not working like before. It might be a drop-off in attendance that he is no longer willing to weather, etc. But that is a signal.

Another is HEALTH. Sometimes, a pastor needs to step away from the pastorate precisely because the pressure can wreck one's health (as well as one's relationships with wife and family). Also, it's likely a good idea to step away in GOOD health. Why wait until you're a broken heap? Of course, ALL OF THIS is dependent on the peace and/or direction of God.

Another is FINANCES. If the man is financially stable enough to leave, that helps the decision to be made. If he is NOT financially stable enough to leave, that can make it a challenge to pull the trigger. The parsonage, the utilities, and/or the salary being left behind can likely do more damage than staying, if the pastor is not prepared.

Again, a retiring pastor often has to be knocked down a few times before he realizes that, hey, I can't spring back like I used to...I can't make a comeback like before.

CONCERN ABOUT LEGACY often holds back pastors from retiring, I think. They hang on and on, trying to make a breakthrough (perhaps) or try to ensure that the "right person" follows them and keeps the church going. At some point, we have to leave it in the hands of the Lord. After all, if the Lord builds not the house.... And we have to trust HIM to somehow make it all work according to HIS plan. I imagine many pastors have been disappointed with how things all turned out after they left, but you can't "fix" that. I've known of pastors hand-selecting their successor...only to find out that they made a very poor choice. And I've known (and experienced) GOOD pastors that followed GOOD pastors, creating an ongoing "legacy" of that being a good church! (Thank the Lord for such men who come in continue to build upon a good foundation.)

Great post!
3/23/17 7:39 am

Post Pastor Wright
THE LOVE OF GOD wrote:
Bro. Wright, no offense, but your topic was misleading. You made it sound like another pastor was leaving his church even though you ask it in a question form. I am sure that is why there are so many views.

I'm sorry to have disappointed you.
3/23/17 1:53 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Pastor Wright wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

Wait... those coupons the deacons gave me for a discount on a Uhaul rental was a hint?

yeah - and they added something to a verse in John 1 - Pastor Wright, we wish above all things that you prosper and be in health - somewhere else.
3/23/17 1:59 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic