Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

Why is the topic of education so polarizing?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Why is the topic of education so polarizing? Da Sheik
Thanks to our friend OTCP, we are all well aware of the dangers of degree mills. I'm sure he will continue his crusade to eradicate this axis of evil Laughing

But all of the joking aside, I notice a trend any time there is a post about education on here. Immediately a sharp division arises which somehow pits education vs. "anointing" as if they are somehow mutually exclusive. I've got several degrees, but I'm fairly certain my grandfather (finished with about a 2nd grade education) was smarter than I am.

Having said that, we recently had a post on here about a pastor's salary being commensurate with his level of education. The overwhelming majority seemed to reply with the answer "no". And that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But the replies that I do take issue with are the ones like "I'd rather have a man with anointing than education." Why does it have to be either/or? Can it not be both/and?
Acts Enthusiast
3/15/17 12:22 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
As a person with several years of college but no degree as yet, with several with master's degrees as well as several anti-education types in my family, it seems to me that the real issue on both sides is simply pride. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/15/17 1:28 pm

Post sheepdogandy
The Apostle Paul seemed to be a combination of both.

However, if it comes down to a choice.

Give me the anointing every time. Very Happy

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/15/17 1:33 pm

Post It's complicated... diakoneo
"Use your head for more than just a hat-rack"

God has given us a brain and I am certain he desires us to use it.

Some of what is called "anointing" is nothing more than style. Many times it is style minus substance. If a person does not know basic tenets of sound doctrine and merely preaches what whips the crowd into a frenzy, many times: talent + preaching what people want to hear = perceived anointing.

True anointing should be followed by conviction of the Holy Spirit. Then, Him moving on the hearts of individuals resulting in real change. Not just a sermon where everyone was pumped up.

With all that being said, self education is under rated, imho. Many times emphasis is placed on someones ability to finish a formal education to the exclusion of the one who does "2Ti 2:15 Give diligence to present yourself approved to God, a workman unashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth."

When it is all said and done we need both. Education and anointing that we may "present ourselves approved to God". That is the most important thing rather than "pumping crowds".

I have heard educated people(including self educated) who want to tell you all they know. It was weak! I have also heard educated(including self educated) people who wanted to expound to you what the Lord was saying. Now that is meat that will help you!
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
3/15/17 2:05 pm

Post Re: It's complicated... c6thplayer1
diakoneo wrote:
"Use your head for more than just a hat-rack"

God has given us a brain and I am certain he desires us to use it.

Some of what is called "anointing" is nothing more than style. Many times it is style minus substance. If a person does not know basic tenets of sound doctrine and merely preaches what whips the crowd into a frenzy, many times: talent + preaching what people want to hear = perceived anointing.

True anointing should be followed by conviction of the Holy Spirit. Then, Him moving on the hearts of individuals resulting in real change. Not just a sermon where everyone was pumped up.

With all that being said, self education is under rated, imho. Many times emphasis is placed on someones ability to finish a formal education to the exclusion of the one who does "2Ti 2:15 Give diligence to present yourself approved to God, a workman unashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth."

When it is all said and done we need both. Education and anointing that we may "present ourselves approved to God". That is the most important thing rather than "pumping crowds".

I have heard educated people(including self educated) who want to tell you all they know. It was weak! I have also heard educated(including self educated) people who wanted to expound to you what the Lord was saying. Now that is meat that will help you!

Very Well said D.... Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/15/17 3:20 pm

Post Both sides... lesserpower
I think both sides of the argument want to make sure the other side doesn't discount them. If someone doesn't have a degree, they don't want to feel "lesser than", and those who worked hard obtaining education don't want their efforts discounted.
3/15/17 3:39 pm

Post Cojak
I have learned from men with and without a formal education. The thing that has bothered me for years is Ignorance and at times stupidity.

Over my life time I have actually heard COG ministers say in the pulpit:

"I ain't wanting or caring for none of that educated religion. Gimme God ever time, he can teach me more in a minute than man can in eight years!" And usually throw a 'bless God' in there.
(And that is an absolute fact, God can teach us, and will)

I see where the Sheik is coming from here. The statement 'real anointing over education' is a no brainer and logical to the unlearned and the educated. If in fact you have a choice WE ALL WOULD CHOSE HIS ANOINTING. But that is not the choice. You can be anointed with a third grade education and anointed with a full doctorate and ANYPLACE IN BETWEEN. If you honestly have a choice, you should choose an education, it can actually get you places ignorance will not, our world has changed drastically in my life time.
Now there will be times a minister will have to speak to officials of city,state and national. The educated person has a better chance than an ignorant (and proud of it) person. Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/15/17 10:47 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic