Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Economics Questions...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Economics Questions... Aaron Scott
When you buy, say, a hamburger $1, are you buying the hamburger for a dollar...or are the restaurateurs buying your dollar for a hamburger?

When you work for someone, they, in theory, pay you no more than you're worth. They bought your services for X dollars...or you bought their dollars for X services.

In any case, you are even. You didn't "make" any money in the sense of a profit.

Why is it that we pay taxes on the dollars we get...but do not have to pay taxes on the burgers we get, since, in theory they are of the same value and are exchanged as equivalent.

No, I'm not going anywhere with this. I just found it interesting about exactly who is doing the buying when something is purchased. It would seem that BOTH parties are buying...and both are selling at the same time.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/3/17 12:16 pm

Post Da Sheik
I don't know my friend, but all this talk about hamburgers makes for a hungry Sheik Laughing Acts Enthusiast
3/3/17 12:23 pm

Post Link
If someone gave you more than $10,000 worth of hamburgers, the IRS might want you to pay taxes on that in dollars.

Profit is a finance or accounting measure. But it does show up in economics, too.

If you were charging more dollars for your hamburgers than the market required, you might be able to earn above normal returns on your hamburgers. If you had a monopoly on hamburgers, you might be able to do this. You would theoretically decrease your output below the market demand and raise prices to optimize your profits.

In economics, you are actually making exchanges for utility. You gain utility from buying a hamburger. The hamburger vendor gains utility by receiving funds for the hamburger. If it is valuable to you, it is utility.
3/3/17 12:24 pm

Post bonnie knox
We do pay taxes on hamburgers around these parts. I think it's a bad idea, though. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/3/17 2:39 pm

Post Re: Economics Questions... c6thplayer1
Aaron Scott wrote:
When you buy, say, a hamburger $1, are you buying the hamburger for a dollar...or are the restaurateurs buying your dollar for a hamburger?

When you work for someone, they, in theory, pay you no more than you're worth. They bought your services for X dollars...or you bought their dollars for X services.

In any case, you are even. You didn't "make" any money in the sense of a profit.

Why is it that we pay taxes on the dollars we get...but do not have to pay taxes on the burgers we get, since, in theory they are of the same value and are exchanged as equivalent.

No, I'm not going anywhere with this. I just found it interesting about exactly who is doing the buying when something is purchased. It would seem that BOTH parties are buying...and both are selling at the same time.

Be quite Aaron , your going to give these clunk head politicians another idea.
3/3/17 2:51 pm

Post UncleJD
bonnie knox wrote:
We do pay taxes on hamburgers around these parts. I think it's a bad idea, though.

You beat me to it. We pay taxes on Burgers, fries, shakes, you name it.

But to refute the OP's logic, assuming you mean federal income tax, that would be double-taxation (taxed on the dollars you earn, then taxed on what you trade them for).
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
3/3/17 3:01 pm

Post Consider this example.... Aaron Scott
If I mow someone's yard, and they give me $50 for doing so, I pay taxes on that.

But the person who had their yard mowed, even though they, too, received $50 worth of value (they got it in a yard mowed; I got it in dollars received), pay absolutely NOTHING for what they received.

I know that our value is measured in currency, but it just seems that we could find a good way around that.
3/3/17 8:10 pm

Post Re: Consider this example.... bonnie knox
Best way around it would be to eliminate income tax.Idea
Otherwise, barter.

Aaron Scott wrote:
If I mow someone's yard, and they give me $50 for doing so, I pay taxes on that.

But the person who had their yard mowed, even though they, too, received $50 worth of value (they got it in a yard mowed; I got it in dollars received), pay absolutely NOTHING for what they received.

I know that our value is measured in currency, but it just seems that we could find a good way around that.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/4/17 9:36 am

Post Cojak
Y'all have me confused, Imma join the Sheik for a hamburger.

There was a line in an old comic strip that ran in the newspapers:
"I'll gladly pay you Monday for a hamburger today!" Cool

To the OP I do see the logic used in Aaron's statement, even 'twisted' logic is at times logical to an inquisitive brain. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/4/17 9:49 am

Post bonnie knox
Would you like fries with that burger and sheik? (I'm here all week. Wink )

Cojak wrote:

To the OP I do see the logic used in Aaron's statement, even 'twisted' logic is at times logical to an inquisitive brain. Shocked
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/4/17 9:59 am

Post diakoneo
Taxes are paid on automobiles numerous times as they are sold new and resold use. The guy who sold the vehicle when it was used did not have to pay sales tax but the purchaser did. Of course he had to pay the tax when he purchased it.

Also many thrift stores(except for Salvation Army) charge tax on things that have been taxed once.

This is why low taxes are more conducive to commerce. If tax is going to occur on purchase, a low tax will increase the opportunity to purchase an item.

I believe food should be left out of the tax equation completely. Why tax something that is necessary for existence? Many states do not but some do and that is a shame!
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
3/4/17 10:00 am

Post c6thplayer1
Cojak wrote:

This is a test Cojak .

Without looking at the cartoon again , What was Name of the person that said;
"I'll gladly pay you Monday for a hamburger today" ?
3/4/17 10:47 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic