Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Would you pay someone to come "lead in worship"?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Would you pay someone to come "lead in worship"? BishopsWife
$2,000 a service?? I know of a young couple that seem to be getting booked at that rate! (of course, it's contemporary) Acts Enthusiast
2/28/17 11:16 am

Post Cojak
NO! but I am in the pew, I still am not convinced that 'Praise and Worship Teams' are the 'in-thing' of someone's creation. That is not to say it is a bad thing. But it seems to be the feeling that the old church style never praised and worshiped our Lord.

In a church of average size (60-150) in worship, I like to think local volunteers and a well paid pastor is needed.

Of course at $2000 an appearance, they would not be at that size church. I have no idea what folks are paid in mega churches. I am still stuck on 'love offerings' as payment for visiting preachers and visiting entertainers.

BUT that is just an old man's perception of the world, and actually not valid in the world today, I am sure. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/28/17 11:26 am

Post bonnie knox
After Dean claimed posters here get a healthy dose of my opinion on nearly every thread, it occurred to me that there were oodles of threads on the first page that I had not even weighed in on. Oh, the horror! Let me correct that right away!!

My opinion, here, "no."
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/2/17 11:59 pm

Post Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:
After Dean claimed posters here get a healthy dose of my opinion on nearly every thread, it occurred to me that there were oodles of threads on the first page that I had not even weighed in on. Oh, the horror! Let me correct that right away!!

My opinion, here, "no."

I thought 'oodles' was slang, but I looked it up, I learned something on Acts today. That is good! Smile

So on the Original Post: That is oodles of money for a service!

Smile
3/3/17 9:59 am

Post Da Sheik
I think I need more information to answer satisfactorily. Are we talking about a concert or someone just coming to lead the choir / worship team on a one-time basis?

I will say this: Over many years of ministry, I have seen something proven time and again. Those who come to minister without outrageous demands usually receive more from a congregation than those with a rigid fee.
Acts Enthusiast
3/3/17 10:54 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
A while back, I was contacted by the booking agent for a worship leader/songwriter/minister whose ministry I have followed for years with great interest, appreciation and respect. When I responded by saying how great it would be to have them, the agent straightforwardly requested $4000 for a Saturday night concert and Sunday morning ministry time. I could see that if they had a bunch of staff, I suppose, but it was just going to be him and his wife coming to minister. When I told the agent that while I would love to be able to pay him that much, our average monthly budget was $8000 total income, and we just couldn't afford $4000 for a weekend, the agent started trying to see what we could pay. Then when I said perhaps we could market aggressively in our area and sell tickets to the concert, and raise sufficient funds that way (he is a pretty popular artist), the agent said their ministry doesn't believe in selling tickets to their concerts. Oh well maybe some other time, I said.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 3/3/17 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/3/17 11:28 am

Post No wayne
You can go out to a local college and hire their music director to come and train your own people for way less than that. That's what we did.

Not sure I know a worship leader that is worth that much.

This is why churches go belly after a period of time.
Acts Enthusiast
3/3/17 11:31 am

Post Da Sheik
I think it varies based on the size and budget of the church. And what specific blessing it would bring to the congregation. For smaller churches, this simply isn't good stewardship. And I never have been an advocate of "event-driven" church growth. You might fill the house for one Sunday with "(insert popular artist here)", but likely will not be a catalyst for sustained growth. Acts Enthusiast
3/3/17 11:48 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
2000 x 52 weeks = $104,000.

If they are good at what they do - that doesn't seem unreasonable for two people does it?
3/3/17 12:55 pm

Post Da Sheik
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
2000 x 52 weeks = $104,000.

If they are good at what they do - that doesn't seem unreasonable for two people does it?

If you've fielded numerous calls from agents over the years as I'm sure you have, that might be a bargain Laughing

Some groups won't even crank up the bus for less than 10k a service. It's all relative isn't it ? Do they have staff that travels with them? Presumably they might have a bus or an expensive RV they travel in. Food ? Lodging ?

As I said initially, I guess it all depends on the details. Ultimately, each church must decide what is "good stewardship".
Acts Enthusiast
3/3/17 1:44 pm

Post ABSOLUTELY!!! Purplebarney
Does the pastor get paid? Does the janitor get paid? Does the secretary get paid? Well, leading worship is a part of the church and a part of ministering to the local body. The term "love offering" is so NOT what it seems. Many times theres no "love" involved and in many cases it doesn't even cover the expenses of the evangelist or music group.

a "Love offering" should be above what the church sets aside to give the evangelist or music group. Bless these people! If you can't afford to bless them then don't bring them in.
Acts-celerater
3/3/17 4:02 pm

Post One time service BishopsWife
He & his wife believe they are called to "usher the presence of the Holy Spirit" in. It's $2,000 a service. I've heard them. Although I believe they are sincere, I truly believe they do not know what the anointing is, or the presence of the Holy Spirit. Acts Enthusiast
3/5/17 1:56 pm

Post Re: One time service Cojak
BishopsWife wrote:
He & his wife believe they are called to "usher the presence of the Holy Spirit" in. It's $2,000 a service. I've heard them. Although I believe they are sincere, I truly believe they do not know what the anointing is, or the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Quite possible, but one never knows the inner thoughts of another. Shocked
3/5/17 3:08 pm

Post Cojak
click crazy, sorry
3/5/17 3:11 pm

Post JLarry
Don't know who you are talking about but if it is the Benion's they do know about The Presence of the Lord.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
3/5/17 6:03 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Pay to LEAD?

Hey, I done seen a few I would pay to LEAVE the position!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Acts-pert Poster
3/6/17 2:20 am

Post this is why wayne
Churches go out of business(souls being our business). People get so caught up in their "ministry" and demand certain amounts to do their "ministry". I believe in paying a decent wage but some things are a bit extravagant. I would rather train and bring up people from within the church to do this job.
As I said before, we hired a music director from a local college and our praise and worship leaders, praise team, etc. are starting to sound really good. And yes the Spirit is present in our services. 3 more saved yesterday and we are consistently seeing people save week after week.
Acts Enthusiast
3/6/17 9:01 am

Post BishopsWife
JLarry wrote:
Don't know who you are talking about but if it is the Benion's they do know about The Presence of the Lord.

Not the Benion's
Acts Enthusiast
3/8/17 1:02 pm

Post Re: One time service Methocostal
I could have a few "choice" words to add her in regards to ushering "the presence of the Holy Spirit" But, I shouldn't comment on the methods of someone who I have never seen. Perhaps they do have a special connection to the Holy Spirit that others do not have access.

Neverthless, as Nature Boy noted, $104,000 per year isn't bad for a couple.

That said, back in my dad's pastoring days in the 1940's and 50's, ushering in the spirit was the result of prayer and fasting. Seems I recall a scripture regarding people asking Jesus how he was able to cast out demons and his response was words to the effect that is due to "prayer and fasting". That seems like pretty good advice to me.

If nothing else works, work them into a frenzy of strobe lit music turned up to the point your pants vibrate followed by slower and repititious phrases of 10 words or less repeated at least 25 times integrated with the Pentecostal swaying back and forth and eventually you can get your results. Funny thing, I don't recall the Pentecostal swaying left and right to the music in days gone by, but I digress.

By the way, you can send my $2,000 check to ......

Smile

BishopsWife wrote:
He & his wife believe they are called to "usher the presence of the Holy Spirit" in. It's $2,000 a service. I've heard them. Although I believe they are sincere, I truly believe they do not know what the anointing is, or the presence of the Holy Spirit.
Friendly Face
3/8/17 4:04 pm

Post Re: One time service Pastor Wright
Methocostal wrote:
That said, back in my dad's pastoring days in the 1940's and 50's, ushering in the spirit was the result of prayer and fasting.

Bingo.
3/9/17 11:12 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic