Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I think it is a small thing, but strange

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I think it is a small thing, but strange Cojak
I was probably in my 50's when I realized I had my right and left confused with my Savior's Right and Left. The meaning was the same of course. Today I actually heard most of the sermon from my Baptist pastor, Bro Lacey. He spoke on the cross of Redemption, Rejection and Accepting. The entire time he had a picture of three crosses displayed and consistently pointed to HIS right for the Cross of Acceptance, looking at the three crosses, NOT the Right of Jesus.

My early teaching by a sweet sister in SS, as she did the same, had stuck in my mind until I was reading of the many different crosses. I think it was the cross the Episcopal church uses that has the foot piece pointing to Jesus's right for the thief that was saved that made me think.

Not a life or death learning experience, but learning none the less. If I am wrong again forgive me, Keep in mind I am a HS drop out! Embarassed Wink

BTW, Bro Lacey did a masterful job in the sermon.
We should be back in Sanford next Sunday, and Pentecostal again. Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/12/17 11:07 am

Post Re: I think it is a small thing, but strange Old Time Country Preacher
Cojak wrote:
I actually heard most of the sermon from my Baptist pastor, Bro Lacey............We should be back in Sanford next Sunday, and Pentecostal again. Smile

Cojak, son, ifn you keep goin back/forth like at, you gonna end up as messed up as ole Shane Vaughan is. Git off at fence rail, an git planted in Pentecost. Laughing Wink
Acts-pert Poster
2/12/17 3:08 pm

Post Re: I think it is a small thing, but strange Cojak
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Cojak wrote:
I actually heard most of the sermon from my Baptist pastor, Bro Lacey............We should be back in Sanford next Sunday, and Pentecostal again. Smile

Cojak, son, ifn you keep goin back/forth like at, you gonna end up as messed up as ole Shane Vaughan is. Git off at fence rail, an git planted in Pentecost. Laughing Wink

Not to be a smart aleck Old Timer, but I have attended a few Pennycostal churches that would drive members to a good Baptist church! Just sayin', as my grandsons used to say! They ain't always a good-in close to we are. There was a COG Mega church within 8 miles of here, but it went broke and is now some City of Clermont Government offices. Swimming pools and all.

Shucks I like a lot of you Pentecostal folk, I'll probably stay.. Cool
2/12/17 3:31 pm

Post Re: I think it is a small thing, but strange Link
Cojak wrote:
I was probably in my 50's when I realized I had my right and left confused with my Savior's Right and Left. The meaning was the same of course. Today I actually heard most of the sermon from my Baptist pastor, Bro Lacey. He spoke on the cross of Redemption, Rejection and Accepting. The entire time he had a picture of three crosses displayed and consistently pointed to HIS right for the Cross of Acceptance, looking at the three crosses, NOT the Right of Jesus.

I don't really know what you are talking about. That sounds almost like some kind of liturgical thing or something. I've heard about the thief on the cross, but not about the 'cross of acceptance.' Was that a popular sermon theme at a certain period in time?
2/13/17 11:37 pm

Link wrote:
Cojak wrote:

I don't really know what you are talking about. That sounds almost like some kind of liturgical thing or something. I've heard about the thief on the cross, but not about the 'cross of acceptance.' Was that a popular sermon theme at a certain period in time?

I really do not know about that LInk, Just that the one on his right accepted Jesus as Lord and our Lord said 'This day thou shalt be with me in Paradise.' I know that is what the preacher was pointing out. My point was. as I child I was looking more at a mirror image putting the bad guy on the Lords left rather than on his right.

That basically was my point. As you look at three crosses. I always saw the good guy on the cross furthest to MY right. When actually the good guy was on our lords Right side not the right looking from the viewers point of view.
As I said it is a small thing, just that I had it wrong. Embarassed
2/14/17 1:36 am

Post Re: I think it is a small thing, but strange spartanfan
Cojak wrote:
Link wrote:
Cojak wrote:

I really do not know about that LInk, Just that the one on his right accepted Jesus as Lord and our Lord said 'This day thou shalt be with me in Paradise.' I know that is what the preacher was pointing out. My point was. as I child I was looking more at a mirror image putting the bad guy on the Lords left rather than on his right.

That basically was my point. As you look at three crosses. I always saw the good guy on the cross furthest to MY right. When actually the good guy was on our lords Right side not the right looking from the viewers point of view.
As I said it is a small thing, just that I had it wrong. Embarassed

Embarassed
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
2/14/17 6:27 am

Post Re: I think it is a small thing, but strange Ventureforth
Cojak wrote:

My early teaching by a sweet sister in SS, as she did the same, had stuck in my mind until I was reading of the many different crosses. I think it was the cross the Episcopal church uses that has the foot piece pointing to Jesus's right for the thief that was saved that made me think.

Not a life or death learning experience, but learning none the less. If I am wrong again forgive me, Keep in mind I am a HS drop out! Embarassed Wink

BTW, Bro Lacey did a masterful job in the sermon.
We should be back in Sanford next Sunday, and Pentecostal again. Smile

Yeah, Jesus is seated at "the right hand of the Father."
We are asked to give the right hand fellowship.
But then the 2 disciples asked Jesus to be on His right hand.
The right hand was a symbol of strength.

So my questions:

Are left handed people as spiritually strong as right handed people?
Is the best side of the church sanctuary at the right side of the preacher?

Laughing

Ok. My point is I don't think God intended us to make a theology out of the right hand or side.

My humble opinion

By the way, there may have been more people crucified at that same time than the two thieves and Jesus.
Acts-celerater
2/14/17 10:23 am

Ventureforth wrote:

Ok. My point is I don't think God intended us to make a theology out of the right hand or side.

My humble opinion

I think you are onto something about the right hand side of the church, VF. We usually sit there, but the last church we attended I was forced to the left side. Now I know why I felt strange! Embarassed Embarassed Smile Wink

I am just about sorry I posted this insightful observation. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
2/14/17 11:40 am

Post bonnie knox
Jonah 4:11

And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/3/17 12:16 am

Post Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:

And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?

I heard this text used in a sermon once and the preacher said, "These folks were so messed up they didn't know their Right hand (and lifted his left hand) from their left (and lifted his right hand). he became tongue tied when there was giggling in the congregation.
TRUE happening!

In the Marine Corps When a jarhead missed the right and left, the DI would yell, "Your other right xxx-head!" Embarassed
3/3/17 9:42 am

Post bonnie knox
That reminds me of a pastor my parents had a few years back who really did have persistent problem with mixing up left and right. I do remember we were giving directions and he pointed and we laughingly told him, no his other right.
Well, when my son was quite small, I thought I would follow the advice in the book, Give Your Child a Superior Mind, to teach the little guy his left from his right. It advised touching or squeezing his right foot or hand while saying, "This is your right foot. This is your right hand." Then the parent was supposed to only point without touching the left hand and foot. So I squeezed his little hand and said, "This is your right hand." Then I pointed to his left and said, "That is your left hand."
His reponse, "Now, shteez the other one."
I just burst out laughing.

Cojak wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

I heard this text used in a sermon once and the preacher said, "These folks were so messed up they didn't know their Right hand (and lifted his left hand) from their left (and lifted his right hand). he became tongue tied when there was giggling in the congregation.
TRUE happening!

In the Marine Corps When a jarhead missed the right and left, the DI would yell, "Your other right xxx-head!" Embarassed
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/3/17 10:05 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic