Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The name of Jesus and the remission of sins

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The name of Jesus and the remission of sins Resident Skeptic
I find not even a single verse in the Bible that teaches orally invoking the name of Jesus is connected to the remission of sins, not even Acts 2:38.

Certainly the name of Jesus is connected to the remission of sins, however. But what does that mean exactly? I have my idea what it means. I'd like to hear other opinions.

Let the discussion begin.
2/11/17 12:39 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Col. 1:13Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 14 In whom whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: KJV

The name of the Lord represents His person and His character. All we have (very much including remission/forgiveness of sins) derives from and is given to us in Jesus, the name above every name. "Jehovah is salvation" (Yahoshua/Jesus) is His name.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/11/17 12:56 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Col. 1:13Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 14 In whom whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: KJV

The name of the Lord represents His person and His character. All we have (very much including remission/forgiveness of sins) derives from and is given to us in Jesus, the name above every name. "Jehovah is salvation" (Yahoshua/Jesus) is His name.

A very concise yet substantive answer. Great job.

How do you feel "authority" relates to one's "name" in this sense?

Last edited by Resident Skeptic on 2/11/17 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-dicted
2/11/17 2:47 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Yes, I would agree that the name carries with it the authority of the name, when properly used by those to whom He has given that authority. For instance, the seven sons of Sceva tried to use the name unlawfully, without having Christ and His authority in them, with demonstrably disastrous results. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/11/17 3:31 pm

Post I think you might have missed a couple brotherjames
Luk 24:46  And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
Luk 24:47  And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Act_10:43  To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Luk_24:47  And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

and below, the Name of Jesus isn't mentioned explicitly but it is obviously implied.

Rom 3:24  Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
Rom 3:25  Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Joh 20:31  But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.I

And, I disagree with you about Acts 2:38. It obviously does indicate remission of sins thru by access of the Name of Jesus

The Name of Jesus represents the exousia - authority of God. By faith we believe Jesus, is the Christ, the Son of God. As believers we receive the remission of our sins by our faith in the Name of that One who was sent to redeem us. And, by faith, we have the right to utilize the Name of Jesus and all the associated authority that goes with it to cast out demons, do greater works and ask anything in His Name and He will do it. John 14:12-14
Acts-celerater
2/11/17 4:41 pm

Post Re: I think you might have missed a couple Resident Skeptic
brotherjames wrote:
Luk 24:46  And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
Luk 24:47  And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Act_10:43  To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Luk_24:47  And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

and below, the Name of Jesus isn't mentioned explicitly but it is obviously implied.

Rom 3:24  Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
Rom 3:25  Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Joh 20:31  But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.I

And, I disagree with you about Acts 2:38. It obviously does indicate remission of sins thru by access of the Name of Jesus

The Name of Jesus represents the exousia - authority of God. By faith we believe Jesus, is the Christ, the Son of God. As believers we receive the remission of our sins by our faith in the Name of that One who was sent to redeem us. And, by faith, we have the right to utilize the Name of Jesus and all the associated authority that goes with it to cast out demons, do greater works and ask anything in His Name and He will do it. John 14:12-14

I absolutely agree with your comment on Acts 2:38. But my point remains, there is nothing in that verse that teaches it is the oral invocation of the name that is connected to the remission of sins.
2/11/17 9:37 pm

Post I guess I'm missing something then brotherjames
what about Acts 10:43?

Act_10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
Acts-celerater
2/11/17 10:41 pm

Post Re: I guess I'm missing something then Resident Skeptic
brotherjames wrote:
what about Acts 10:43?

Act_10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

When we believe the gospel and repent, God "for Christ's sake"(or through his name) forgives us. I baptize invoking the name of Jesus, but my oral invoking of the name of Jesus over the one I'm baptizing does not take way their sin, nor does God forgive them on that basis. He forgives through the name of (or "for the sake of" or "by the authority he has vested in") Jesus Christ.
2/12/17 12:27 am

Post Am I saved? JLarry
Have I been misled?

Have I preached/taught the message of incorrectly.

Am I saved?

I am confused!

Smile

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
2/12/17 11:20 pm

Post Re: Am I saved? Resident Skeptic
JLarry wrote:
Have I been misled?

Have I preached/taught the message of incorrectly.

Am I saved?

I am confused!

Smile

I'm confused too, Brother Larry as to what sparked you to ask these questions. Laughing Laughing
2/13/17 10:03 am

Post Ventureforth
Well Romans 10;9 tells us:
Quote:
if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Doesn't specifically say anything about remission of sins but that's a part of salvation.

V. 10
Quote:
For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

Quote:
13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

That's as close as I can get right now. Does that help?
Acts-celerater
2/13/17 7:39 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Ventureforth wrote:
Well Romans 10;9 tells us:
Quote:
if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Doesn't specifically say anything about remission of sins but that's a part of salvation.

V. 10
Quote:
For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

Quote:
13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

That's as close as I can get right now. Does that help?

Much of my discussion here stems from a discussion on another forum I'm having with some oneness folk on what truly constitutes "being baptized in the name of Jesus". Unlike many of my oneness brethren, I maintain that neither Matthew 28:19 or Acts 2:38 are referring to baptismal formulas or invocations by the one administering baptism.
2/13/17 11:11 pm

Post Re: The name of Jesus and the remission of sins SouthGeorgiaBoy
Resident Skeptic wrote:
I find not even a single verse in the Bible that teaches orally invoking the name of Jesus is connected to the remission of sins, not even Acts 2:38.

Certainly the name of Jesus is connected to the remission of sins, however. But what does that mean exactly? I have my idea what it means. I'd like to hear other opinions.

I agree! I have always believed that this refers to the authority of Jesus Christ! I believe that I can baptize a person upon the confession of their faith in Jesus and not invoke a formula.

This is a different situation but I know a pastor who spoke to a demon possessed young man and simply told the demon to be quiet and come out of the young man. He was delivered immediately. No formula was invoked but the pastor was operating in the authority of Jesus Christ.

I believe this is what God honors.
Acts Enthusiast
2/14/17 5:09 pm

Post I disagree brotherjames
I believe the formula of Matt. 28 is accurate. Your worldview is flawed. Very Happy Acts-celerater
2/14/17 5:23 pm

Post Re: I disagree Resident Skeptic
brotherjames wrote:
I believe the formula of Matt. 28 is accurate. Your worldview is flawed. Very Happy

Matthew 28:19 and Acts 2:38 describe the one and same authority we have to baptize. Neither one are formulas.
2/14/17 8:12 pm

Post Re: I disagree Quiet Wyatt
Resident Skeptic wrote:
brotherjames wrote:
I believe the formula of Matt. 28 is accurate. Your worldview is flawed. :D

Matthew 28:19 and Acts 2:38 describe the one and same authority we have to baptize. Neither one are formulas.

I have said that for years. "In the name of" means, "By the authority of."
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/14/17 8:55 pm

Post Re: I disagree Resident Skeptic
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
brotherjames wrote:
I believe the formula of Matt. 28 is accurate. Your worldview is flawed. Very Happy

I have said that for years. "In the name of" means, "By the authority of."

Or "for the sake of".
2/14/17 8:57 pm

Post Re: The name of Jesus and the remission of sins Resident Skeptic
SouthGeorgiaBoy wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

I agree! I have always believed that this refers to the authority of Jesus Christ! I believe that I can baptize a person upon the confession of their faith in Jesus and not invoke a formula.

This is a different situation but I know a pastor who spoke to a demon possessed young man and simply told the demon to be quiet and come out of the young man. He was delivered immediately. No formula was invoked but the pastor was operating in the authority of Jesus Christ.

I believe this is what God honors.

THANK YOU! I used this same line of reason about casting out demons with someone yesterday. They insisted that one must repeat the name "Jesus" over and over for the demon to finally be pried loose.
2/14/17 8:59 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic