Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

AB ain't all it's cracked up to be?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post AB ain't all it's cracked up to be? aprilmay2.0
With the recent discussion and transition of some AB's I read the threads and wonder if we are asking the right questions. Here are a few questions I think of:
1. Who leaves Alabama (a 5 star state and one of the top positions in COG) 6 months after appointment and with less than 2 years of tenure? Moves like this are usually done as a favor for someone else or a punishment. Or maybe Bishop brewer (a fine upstanding reputable man) just figures being an AB ain't all it's cracked up to be.

2. Who gets a return vote and reappointed to IN as an AB with good history and then decides to go pastor 6months later? Neff is a fine upstanding man and I'm sure he hears Gods voice. But maybe being an AB ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Your thoughts?
Friendly Face
1/23/17 10:17 am

Post Cojak
Definitely a good point, but maybe the job is bigger or tougher than expected also. Shocked

And then there is the old adage that is true in EVERY life, "THINGS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE". Some lives are turned upside down physically or mentally in minutes! Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/23/17 1:05 pm

Post Not a job I would want roughridercog
So I'm glad they never asked Laughing
1/23/17 1:51 pm

Post #18
maybe the question is: what makes a great AB?

how do you know if you are one? do the qualifications vary by region? would it be too much a stretch to assume that a "good" AB for NGA wouldn't be a fitting AB for Cali/NV?
Friendly Face
1/23/17 3:35 pm

Post caveator
#18 wrote:

how do you know if you are one? do the qualifications vary by region? would it be too much a stretch to assume that a "good" AB for NGA wouldn't be a fitting AB for Cali/NV?

I think that you would discover that NGA and Cali/Nev are more alike than you think. Contrasting California with S Carolina, Alabama, or South Georgia may make your point better.
Acts-celerater
1/23/17 5:13 pm

Post Cojak
caveator wrote:
#18 wrote:

I think that you would discover that NGA and Cali/Nev are more alike than you think. Contrasting California with S Carolina, Alabama, or South Georgia may make your point better.

So, C. What are you saying about North Georgia, 'em redneck preachers ain't like them liberal California guys like ........ Wink Embarassed
You might be right. Smile
1/23/17 6:04 pm

Post Re: AB ain't all it's cracked up to be? Carolyn Smith
aprilmay2.0 wrote:
With the recent discussion and transition of some AB's I read the threads and wonder if we are asking the right questions. Here are a few questions I think of:
1. Who leaves Alabama (a 5 star state and one of the top positions in COG) 6 months after appointment and with less than 2 years of tenure? Moves like this are usually done as a favor for someone else or a punishment. Or maybe Bishop brewer (a fine upstanding reputable man) just figures being an AB ain't all it's cracked up to be.

2. Who gets a return vote and reappointed to IN as an AB with good history and then decides to go pastor 6months later? Neff is a fine upstanding man and I'm sure he hears Gods voice. But maybe being an AB ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Your thoughts?

Bishop Brewer has been an AB for 14 years. I think he would have figured out by now whether or not he liked it.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/23/17 11:00 pm

Post georgiapath
A former pastor said he actually made less money being an AB, than he was making when he left the church he was pastoring. Acts-dicted
1/24/17 11:56 am

Post #18
caveator wrote:
#18 wrote:

Sure, let's go with that. the questions remain.
Friendly Face
1/24/17 12:30 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
I guess they is times at no position is "all its cracked up to be." That is, we git a certain perception of certain positions an think maybe its a gravy train or easy street, but hey, don't ever think such a position exists. Not in this world. With ever right they is a responsibility.

The ole timer respects fellers in these executive positions, you know they hear more bad than good most a the time. Ever time they go preach somebody is unloadin on em. If they make the church happy the preacher is mad. If they make the preacher happy the church is mad. My gootness, hey, we need to pray fer these fellers.
Acts-pert Poster
1/24/17 5:00 pm

Post caveator
In recent years, most AB's have either been State Youth Directors or Pastors of Congregations of 500 or under. It is difficult for a pastor of a congregation over 500 to justify leaving to become a state bishop. Most would certainly take a pay cut. If someone is a true shepherd that loves to be with people, transitions to the position of an administrative bishop is a lonely and unappreciated place to be. Acts-celerater
1/24/17 5:23 pm

Post Being at the top, Methocostal
makes a good target for others to shoot.

I'm not a preacher and obviously have never been an AB, but I have been a CFO. That is a lonely place as well. Lots of critics, everyone has an opinion. Sometimes a person has to make a decision they don't even like themselves.

I'm sure the AB shares many of the same frustrations.
Friendly Face
1/25/17 3:18 pm

Post Re: Being at the top, Cojak
Methocostal wrote:
makes a good target for others to shoot.

I'm not a preacher and obviously have never been an AB, but I have been a CFO. That is a lonely place as well. Lots of critics, everyone has an opinion. Sometimes a person has to make a decision they don't even like themselves.

I'm sure the AB shares many of the same frustrations.

1/25/17 6:48 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
AB - toughest job in COG.

Why would anyone take that job?

You have way too many folks pastoring that don't have the gift...and they go around complaining that the problem is the members...so they run them off....and when there isn't any more money to pay for Cracker Barrel and a roof over their head - they go to the AB to place them somewhere else - and begin the same problems all over again.

Apparently ABs aren't allowed to tell guys they would be better suited for the food service or sanitation industries - anything that doesn't involve working with people. Otherwise, why do we have the same guys moving every 4 years to a new place? Evil or Very Mad
1/26/17 11:02 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
they go around complaining that the problem is the members...so they run them off....and when there isn't any more money to pay for Cracker Barrel and a roof over their head - they go to the AB to place them somewhere else - and begin the same problems all over again.

As Ray Hughes said about the ole feller in South Georgia told him after Hughes had preached on the end times, "Ats about as plain as I ever hear-ed it."
Acts-pert Poster
1/26/17 3:11 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic