Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Matthew 24:5 - Many will come

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Matthew 24:5 - Many will come Ventureforth
A quote in another thread got me thinking about this verse. I thought I'd open it up to a variety of perspectives.

Quote:
For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray. Matthew 24:5 ESV

Questions:
Do you think this prophecy extended to current times or was it almost entirely fulfilled in the past? (early church?)

If you think it is still being fulfilled in current times, do you think those it is speaking about will use the actual title "Christ" or will it be more to the effect of "the anointed one?"

Just curious. These questions could be important as we wait for the real Christ's appearing.

Last edited by Ventureforth on 12/12/16 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerater
12/9/16 10:27 pm

Post bonnie knox
It's a verse I've wondered about, too. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/12/16 8:31 am

Post Re: Matthew 25:5 - Many will come c6thplayer1
Ventureforth wrote:
A quote in another thread got me thinking about this verse. I thought I'd open it up to a variety of perspectives.

Quote:
For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray. Matthew 24:5 ESV

Questions:
Do you think this prophecy extended to current times or was it almost entirely fulfilled in the past? (early church?)

If you think it is still being fulfilled in current times, do you think those it is speaking about will use the actual title "Christ" or will it be more to the effect of "the anointed one?"

Just curious. These questions could be important as we wait for the real Christ's appearing.

I think is definitely for today. Some of these self proclaimed men of God have said they were God.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_claimed_to_be_Jesus
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/12/16 9:49 am

Post Cojak
I've been around a long time. I have not known of anyone in the places I have lives who claimed to the 'THE CHRIST'.

Now I have heard many who speak directly for the Lord and God. Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/12/16 9:56 am

Post Re: - Many will come Ventureforth
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Ventureforth wrote:

Quote:

Questions:

I think is definitely for today. Some of these self proclaimed men of God have said they were God.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_claimed_to_be_Jesus

Interesting. Some of these I had forgotten about and others were unknown to me. The claims certainly weren't confined to the early church. One just doesn't hear about them very often.

Matthew 24:5 is before phrases like "...but the end is not yet" and "All these are but the beginning of the birth pains." which seems to put some sort of time frame on this along with other signs, if I'm reading this right. However, the signs through verse 12 have not stopped happening.
Acts-celerater
12/12/16 7:46 pm

Post A Different Perspective Mark Ledbetter
Consider understanding the passage as many will come in Christ's name, endorsing Jesus is the Anointed One, only to seek entry into the pulpit and hearts of hearers.

It parallels Jesus' thoughts in Matthew 7:21-23,

Quote:
Not everyone who says to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord', will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.'

According to passages in Deuteronomy 13 & 18, prophets who spoke in God's name yet without a real relationship with Him were considered "presumptuous prophets".
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
12/14/16 9:12 am

Post Re: A Different Perspective diakoneo
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
Consider understanding the passage as many will come in Christ's name, endorsing Jesus is the Anointed One, only to seek entry into the pulpit and hearts of hearers.

Is the "the" is in the original? the Christ??
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/14/16 1:33 pm

Post Re: A Different Perspective Ventureforth
Mark Ledbetter wrote:

It parallels Jesus' thoughts in Matthew 7:21-23,

Quote:
Not everyone who says to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord', will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.'

According to passages in Deuteronomy 13 & 18, prophets who spoke in God's name yet without a real relationship with Him were considered "presumptuous prophets".

I think that interpretation is interesting.

If I understand, it seems a clearer way to word that interpretation is

For many will come in my name, saying that I am the Christ, but they will lead many astray.

This would keep in mind that Jesus is speaking.

Is that what you were saying, Mark?
Acts-celerater
12/14/16 4:36 pm

Post The Christ and Yes some will come declaring Jesus is The Anointed One Mark Ledbetter
Both the Byzantine/Majority and the NA26 include the article "the" in the Greek text.

There will be those individuals who think nothing of proclaiming Jesus as the Messiah only to get their foot in the door.

Conversely, as Jude points out, there will be false prophets who deny Jesus as Master and Lord.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
12/14/16 5:46 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
To answer your question I would say it was both.
It happened in the days of Christ & it still happens today.
We just had a guy here in the news the other day who said he was doing the things he did because he was jesus the christ. Lower case used on purpose.
Cops sent this jesus to the mental ward.
Jim Jones & David Koresh claimed to be Jesus so I think we see it all around us today.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
12/14/16 7:16 pm

Post Ventureforth
Dean Steenburgh wrote:
To answer your question I would say it was both.
It happened in the days of Christ & it still happens today..

I agree. What I was thinking was is it possible that those Jesus refers to here that are leading people astray include those who are simply saying they are a special anointed one but never actually say, "I am Jesus" or "I am the Christ?" If so, perhaps these would be the ones that would be the most deceptive and have the greatest following. I don't think any on the list had a large following except maybe Sun Myung Moon.
Acts-celerater
12/14/16 10:26 pm

Post Re: The Christ and Yes some will come declaring Jesus is The Anointed One diakoneo
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
Both the Byzantine/Majority and the NA26 include the article "the" in the Greek text.

There will be those individuals who think nothing of proclaiming Jesus as the Messiah only to get their foot in the door.

Conversely, as Jude points out, there will be false prophets who deny Jesus as Master and Lord.

Understand.

Why would they come in His name (I read that as authority) and say they are Him unless it is as you say? Makes more sense to me. Most sane people would call the person a kook who called himself Christ but deception on the other hand from someone claiming authority and even performing miracles' would seem more logical and scriptural.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/15/16 9:19 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic