Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Man or woman for president
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Man or woman for president Link
Suppose we had two presidential candidates who were identical on issues you care about (both pro-life, good views on marriage, etc.) both of decent moral character.

One was a man. One was a woman. Experience was similar.

If the only real difference was gender, would you vote for the man or the woman? Would you vote for the woman so she could be the first woman president of the US? Would you vote for the man to have a male president?

Please explain your answer.
20 points.
(I just gave an exam, so I thought I'd add that last bit to stay in exam mode for exam week.)
10/18/16 9:55 pm

Post (L) bonnie knox
This 'ere feller splains it like it is: don't git yaself sa worked up about a prez what grabs women's personal parts; what ya ort ta be worried about is a prez what HAS a woman's personal part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoeyYk1XF74
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/18/16 10:03 pm

Post UncleJD
Assuming it was a primary, I would vote for the one I thought had the best chance of winning. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/18/16 10:42 pm

Post Link
I was thinking of a general election.
10/19/16 8:39 pm

Post UncleJD
Link wrote:

I can't imagine 2 parties offering the same good candidate with the only differences being their gender. I would vote for whichever one represented a party that was more likely to be conservative. I know you're trying to see who would vote for someone simply because they were a man, I'm sure there are a lot of those around, I'm not one.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/19/16 10:17 pm

Post diakoneo
If they were identical in everything but gender, I would say we were in some kind of alternate universe.

Just don't happen.

But since we are in your alternate universe:
I would vote for the one I liked the most.
10/19/16 10:22 pm

Post Link
I just wanted an honest response.

I thought about using 'alternate universe' myself earlier in the thread.

I'd choose a man if all things else seemed equal, and a mature man over a less mature one.

Isaiah 3:12
Youths oppress my people, women rule over them. My people, your guides lead you astray; they turn you from the path.

Some people might choose the woman so there would be a woman president.

Last edited by Link on 10/22/16 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts-perienced Poster
10/20/16 2:14 am

Post Patrick Harris
I'd vote for the woman. Simply because I seldom do what's expected.

All things being equal there is no precedence or reason to think that a man would do a better job.
Acts Enthusiast
10/20/16 6:57 am

Post c6thplayer1
UncleJD wrote:
Link wrote:

I can't imagine 2 parties offering the same good candidate with the only differences being their gender. I would vote for whichever one represented a party that was more likely to be conservative. I know you're trying to see who would vote for someone simply because they were a man, I'm sure there are a lot of those around, I'm not one.

Ditto ...
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/20/16 8:27 am

Post prooftexting! bonnie knox
I see you TRIED to use the same prooftext as the guy in the video I linked to. Honestly he struck me as a person who would take one or two prooftexts, run with them without studying any of the background and without looking at the whole counsel of scripture.
But maybe you were being a little prophetic with your reference without realizing it because the actual text of Isaiah 2:12 says
For the day of the Lord of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low:

Lord, hasten the day!

Quote:
Isaiah 2:12
Youths oppress my people, women rule over them. My people, your guides lead you astray; they turn you from the path.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/21/16 7:54 am

Post Re: prooftexting! Patrick Harris
bonnie knox wrote:
I see you TRIED to use the same prooftext as the guy in the video I linked to. Honestly he struck me as a person who would take one or two prooftexts, run with them without studying any of the background and without looking at the whole counsel of scripture.
But maybe you were being a little prophetic with your reference without realizing it because the actual text of Isaiah 2:12 says
For the day of the Lord of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low:

Lord, hasten the day!

Quote:
Isaiah 2:12

The OP was trying to make a point that when all things are equal you should vote for the man because that's the Biblical answer.
Thus the prooftext.

It's sad really.
Sad
Acts Enthusiast
10/21/16 8:09 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
If all things were equal - and there were two men running - and one was black and one was white, who would you vote for?

If one was Hispanic and one was black.

If one was Muslim and one was Mormon?
10/21/16 9:52 am

Post Re: Man or woman for president Methocostal
If their views were identical, I would probably go for the woman for the novelty. She could be a great role model for women.

However, no matter how you slice it, men and women do act differently. That said, I would love to have the "iron lady" as President of the US. Or Condalezza Rice.

Women in leadership are put in a difficult role. If they try to come off as not feminine, they are criticized, if they are feminine, they are "emotional". Striking the balance is difficult and the key is to be themselves. The Iron Lady displayed strength and warmth, a great counterpart to Reagan of the same era.

Link wrote:
Suppose we had two presidential candidates who were identical on issues you care about (both pro-life, good views on marriage, etc.) both of decent moral character.

One was a man. One was a woman. Experience was similar.

If the only real difference was gender, would you vote for the man or the woman? Would you vote for the woman so she could be the first woman president of the US? Would you vote for the man to have a male president?

Please explain your answer.
20 points.
(I just gave an exam, so I thought I'd add that last bit to stay in exam mode for exam week.)
Friendly Face
10/21/16 12:54 pm

Post UncleJD
Agreed, England and Israel both had pretty amazing women leaders. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/21/16 1:07 pm

Post Re: prooftexting! Link
bonnie knox wrote:
I see you TRIED to use the same prooftext as the guy in the video I linked to.

I don't know what you are talking about.

I must have hit 2 instead of 3. I'll have to fix that.
10/22/16 7:52 am

Post The OP brotherjames
is obviously trying to get all you Hillary fans who say you are CoG to admit you are voting AGAINST Biblical principles, your hypocrisy is showing. Laughing Acts-celerater
10/22/16 3:31 pm

Post Re: The OP UncleJD
brotherjames wrote:
is obviously trying to get all you Hillary fans who say you are CoG to admit you are voting AGAINST Biblical principles, your hypocrisy is showing. Laughing

There is not one Hillary fan on this board. She is probably the most "disliked" (for lack of a nice word) person alive in America.
10/22/16 6:14 pm

Post Ventureforth
I don't really have a problem with a qualified woman president. I've had some woman bosses that were quite proficient in their position. I would venture to say that a woman political leader is less disputed among some Christians than a clerical position because of the judge, Deborah (who by the way was also a prophetess).
That said, I think a woman would (can we say "will"?) have more of a challenge of being respected by certain other countries.
Acts-celerater
10/23/16 1:49 pm

Post Re: The OP diakoneo
UncleJD wrote:

There is not one Hillary fan on this board. She is probably the most "disliked" (for lack of a nice word) person alive in America.
Thumb Up
10/23/16 1:51 pm

Post Ventureforth
Ventureforth wrote:
I don't really have a problem with a qualified woman president. I've had some woman bosses that were quite proficient in their position. I would venture to say that a woman political leader is less disputed among some Christians than a clerical position because of the judge, Deborah (who by the way was also a prophetess).
That said, I think a woman would (can we say "will"?) have more of a challenge of being respected by certain other countries.

By the way, this is not to say I support or a Hillary presidency.
Acts-celerater
10/23/16 2:00 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic