Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I am sick of hearing the "Supreme Court card" played!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I am sick of hearing the "Supreme Court card" played! diakoneo
This is the argument many evangelicals "leaders" are left with and they are playing it for all it is worth. It is like they are telling us there is no way a Scotus justice can be rejected. Turned down. They don't remember Robert Bork, An excellent conservative constitutionalist? Nominated by a very popular president Ronald Reagan? The nomination was rejected and we got a much milder liberal justice in his place.

Hillary has NO popularity. Bad personality, annoying... Just not likable. If she is elected, she will have come in under a cloud of general mistrust for her lawbreaking and incompetence.

If the Republicans allow this unpopular president to have her way, well they will soon be no more.

The best thing Christians can do is pray and vote their conscience. Don't let some Christian "leader" tell you that you must vote this way or that way.

Last edited by diakoneo on 10/17/16 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/17/16 12:16 pm

Post diakoneo
In addition: If Trump wins, how will we know what he will do?
If he nominates moderates or liberals to the scotus what will they do?

There are too many factors to make this a big deciding issue. Especially considering how presumed conservative justices turned out to be not so conservative. It was Anthony Kennedy (a Reagan appointee), after all, that cast the deciding vote to make homosexual marriage the law of the land.

OK, rant over! Smile

Last edited by diakoneo on 10/17/16 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
10/17/16 12:47 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Agreed....another card is the platform card. What happened with the platform when Bush had full control of Congress? Acts-pert Poster
10/17/16 12:50 pm

Post diakoneo
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Agreed....another card is the platform card. What happened with the platform when Bush had full control of Congress?

Platform Laughing Laughing Laughing

The one they never stand on...yeah
10/17/16 12:54 pm

Post Re: I am sick of hearing the "Supreme Court card" played! Dean Steenburgh
diakoneo wrote:
This is the argument many evangelicals "leaders" are left with and they are playing for all it is worth. It is like they are telling is there is no way a Scotus justice can be rejected. Turned down. They don't remember Robert Bork, An excellent conservative constitutionalist? Nominated by a very popular president Ronald Reagan? The nomination was rejected and we got a much milder liberal justice in his place.

Hillary has NO popularity. Bad personality, annoying... Just not likable. If she is elected, she will have come in under a cloud of general mistrust for her lawbreaking and incompetence.

If the Republicans allow this unpopular president to have her way, well they will soon be no more.

The best thing Christians can do is pray and vote their conscience. Don't let some Christian "leader" tell you that you must vote this way or that way.

The same House & Senate that can hold up Hillary's nominee's can also hold up Trump's.

You may be sick & tired of the SCOTUS card but if you live under the threat of sanctions & future closures of Christian schools then you'll let them use whatever card they've got.

Here is a snip of what Dr. Woods said taken from another thread:
Quote:
Certainly the pending act (as of this writing) in the California legislature should wake us up. The California Senate passed Senate Bill 1146 which would either force schools like our own Vanguard University to radically change their mission or close down. The bill seeks both to shame faith-based colleges and universities and to declare their students unworthy of benefits that are made available by the state to every other similar institution in California. Vanguard's president, Dr. Mike Beals, stated: "This means that mission-based aspects of religious colleges and universities, which include prayer in classes, chapel services, spiritual formation activities and faith-infused curriculum, as well as requiring a statement of faith for admission and requiring ministry-based service experiences would be at risk if Senate Bill 1146 is passed as is." The bill is an intentional and all-out assault on our religious distinctives.

As I write, the bill is under consideration by a House committee. The fact that it passed the state Senate and is under consideration by the state House should ring a ten-alarm bell. If the attempt to gut religious liberty for colleges and universities is successful in California, you can be sure other dominoes will fall in California and across the country.

One huge issue we have among conservatives is we get tired of staying on point.
Some will whine about the same old 'issue' card being used as if they have to endure it personally.
The Dems never get tired of marching to their causes, they stay united no matter what!
According to Dr. Woods statement, the A/G's could only motivate 15% of their base in Missouri to help defeat a critical bill & they lost because 85% stayed home. (Typical conservatives, reminds me of those who will vote for a 3rd party candidate)

If the GOP's lose this election it's because our own party unity is cracked, broken & full of holes. We have party members who are afraid to line up with someone of questionable character.
How do you minister to people who might have a questionable character at your church? They get one shot at being good or else? They get a month or two to straighten up or else? Is there a time limit on their mistakes & then they're cast outside where there is weeping & gnashing of teeth?

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
10/17/16 5:51 pm

Post Re: I am sick of hearing the "Supreme Court card" played! diakoneo
Dean Steenburgh wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
This is the argument many evangelicals "leaders" are left with and they are playing for all it is worth. It is like they are telling is there is no way a Scotus justice can be rejected. Turned down. They don't remember Robert Bork, An excellent conservative constitutionalist? Nominated by a very popular president Ronald Reagan? The nomination was rejected and we got a much milder liberal justice in his place.

The same House & Senate that can hold up Hillary's nominee's can also hold up Trump's.

You may be sick & tired of the SCOTUS card but if you live under the threat of sanctions & future closures of Christian schools then you'll let them use whatever card they've got.

Quote:
Certainly the pending act (as of this writing) in the California legislature should wake us up. The California Senate passed Senate Bill 1146 which would either force schools like our own Vanguard University to radically change their mission or close down. The bill seeks both to shame faith-based colleges and universities and to declare their students unworthy of benefits that are made available by the state to every other similar institution in California. Vanguard's president, Dr. Mike Beals, stated: "This means that mission-based aspects of religious colleges and universities, which include prayer in classes, chapel services, spiritual formation activities and faith-infused curriculum, as well as requiring a statement of faith for admission and requiring ministry-based service experiences would be at risk if Senate Bill 1146 is passed as is." The bill is an intentional and all-out assault on our religious distinctives.

As I write, the bill is under consideration by a House committee. The fact that it passed the state Senate and is under consideration by the state House should ring a ten-alarm bell. If the attempt to gut religious liberty for colleges and universities is successful in California, you can be sure other dominoes will fall in California and across the country.

Some will whine about the same old 'issue' card being used as if they have to endure it personally.
The Dems never get tired of marching to their causes, they stay united no matter what!
According to Dr. Woods statement, the A/G's could only motivate 15% of their base in Missouri to help defeat a critical bill & they lost because 85% stayed home. (Typical conservatives, reminds me of those who will vote for a 3rd party candidate)

If the GOP's lose this election it's because our own party unity is cracked, broken & full of holes. We have party members who are afraid to line up with someone of questionable character.
How do you minister to people who might have a questionable character at your church? They get one shot at being good or else? They get a month or two to straighten up or else? Is there a time limit on their mistakes & then they're cast outside where there is weeping & gnashing of teeth?

When schools are beholden to the government because of grants and student loans which come from the government that is exactly what you will get. It may come to the point where a Christian school must say, "hey if you want to come here and get a Christian education, it is going to cost more and you will not be able to get Pell grants or student loans." That sounds terrible, but that is just where we are. I don't know that changing the face of the U.S. supreme court is going to change that. We have gone down the road and two of the justices (Roberts and Kennedy) who were nominate by Republican presidents have gotten us there. Roberts could have stood up and said, "Obamacare is illegal!" I think that would have sent a message that things were changing. He could have spoke up and made some good legal arguments against same sex marriage as law of the land. According to news reports, he was relatively silent in the arguing phase, though he voted against it and Kennedy voted for it.

We have gone down a road that I don't believe we can turn back from without true national repentance. Unfortunately, I see things as getting worse.

Trump is pro gay marriage. Pro abortion. He is a liberal. He has tried to change his spots for this election, but they keep shining through. I wish I had a competent third party candidate to vote for. I would vote for Ross Perot or Ron Paul in a heart beat over the field we have now.
10/17/16 6:11 pm

Post Trump's election may slow the bus Mark Ledbetter
but the wave of persecution is coming.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
10/17/16 6:12 pm

Post Re: Trump's election may slow the bus Dean Steenburgh
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
but the wave of persecution is coming.

Couldn't agree more!

What are you focused on?
10/17/16 6:30 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
#Texit
10/18/16 5:28 am

Post Methocostal
LOVED IT! Great comment.

Resident Skeptic wrote:
#Texit
Friendly Face
10/18/16 2:18 pm

Post Re: I am sick of hearing the "Supreme Court card" played! Methocostal
Good points Dean, but with Hillary, there is a 100% chance of getting a liberal on the court. At least with Trump, it may be less than 100% Smile

While I don't trust Trump much farther than I can throw him, he did say he would appoint conservatives. I'd rather have a chance than no chance.

Let me rephrase that, In NORMAL circumstances, I'd rather have a chance than no chance. Trump has more than his share of "issues".

In regards to Trumps latest problems with supposedly groping women, I must say it smells awfully fishy that these hoardes of women are just now coming forward with these claims. I understand he certainly has the persona that he could be guilty of such things, and his own words are bad enough, it just seems awfully strange they are just now coming forward. Entirely too convenient.

That said, I still don't know if I can bring myself to vote for the egotistical maniac. Republicans got what they deserved for their lack of adhearing to principals and caving in to the demo's in the past.

Dean Steenburgh wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

Quote:

Friendly Face
10/18/16 2:30 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
The sudden rush of so called abused women is hilarious at best.
After watching that video that Tom Sterbens posted I can see where this is a bunch of nonsense. That woman on the flight in 1st class suddenly went quiet when a witness came forward & debunked her story.

I think Trump would have done what he had promised but I can't help but ask why should he have kept his promise to the conservatives when they are the one's who are giving him equal grief compared to the libs.
Why go to all the trouble to nominate or appoint judges to appease the right when they have openly abandoned him?

Under Hillary I see a quickening of the social engineering agenda which make the LGBT community VERY happy & it will mean the closure of Christian schools & ministries nation wide
Under Trump we at least stood a chance that he would help rebuild America financially & in our military.

After what I have seen & heard from Christians & conservatives in this election has been enough to make me doubt we'll ever win again.

What are you focused on?
10/18/16 2:44 pm

Post (L) bonnie knox
One thing you may have overlooked about the timing is that it came after Trump's own words incriminated him. In other words women that may have felt certain they wouldn't have been believed, now feel there is enough evidence about what kind of person he is that they know they will be believed. You would probably be surprised at how many women are abused in some way who keep it hidden because they fear recrimination or fear they won't be believed. It's a valid fear, especially when there is no hard evidence like a semen-stained blue dress.

As far as the witness, Anthony Gilberthorpe, that supposedly "debunked" Jessica Leed's account, I'm not sure how trustworthy he is.
https://web.archive.org/web/20140812194717/http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=street_of_shame

Please educate yourself about sexual abuse.

Quote:
After watching that video that Tom Sterbens posted I can see where this is a bunch of nonsense. That woman on the flight in 1st class suddenly went quiet when a witness came forward & debunked her story.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/18/16 3:44 pm

Post Actscelerate poll famousflavius
I wish there was an actscelerate poll. I would vote for Trump. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
10/18/16 4:56 pm

Post I'll chime in.... Jamie Noel
Dean Steenburgh wrote:

I think Trump would have done what he had promised but I can't help but ask why should he have kept his promise to the conservatives when they are the one's who are giving him equal grief compared to the libs.
Why go to all the trouble to nominate or appoint judges to appease the right when they have openly abandoned him?

Under Hillary I see a quickening of the social engineering agenda which make the LGBT community VERY happy & it will mean the closure of Christian schools & ministries nation wide
Under Trump we at least stood a chance that he would help rebuild America financially & in our military.

After what I have seen & heard from Christians & conservatives in this election has been enough to make me doubt we'll ever win again.

From what I have seen from interviews who know the Donald best, he is not promising anything to appease the right. He has said it plainly himself.....he is running for president because, in his own words, "He love America and wants to make it great again." Truthfully, I buy that. He is not a politician, as we all have seen. In fact, I recently watched an interview with Oprah that he had, I believe, in the early 90's. She had asked if he would ever run for president. He simply said that he would not, unless America got bad enough. I believe he thinks America has gotten bad enough.

So, I am voting for Trump, not because he is great orator. Not because he is a great politician. And not because he would even make a great President (because neither probably will). I am voting for Trump because I do believe he loves America and wants to see our great country brought back to where she needs to be. Under Hillary, we will continue down the path to a socialist nation. Don't believe me? Read Saul Alinsky's book on creating a socialist nation. It lines up perfectly with Hillary's plan. BTW, she did her thesis on him in college.
10/19/16 9:37 am

Post Re: I'll chime in.... Dean Steenburgh
Jamie Noel wrote:
Dean Steenburgh wrote:

From what I have seen from interviews who know the Donald best, he is not promising anything to appease the right. He has said it plainly himself.....he is running for president because, in his own words, "He love America and wants to make it great again." Truthfully, I buy that. He is not a politician, as we all have seen. In fact, I recently watched an interview with Oprah that he had, I believe, in the early 90's. She had asked if he would ever run for president. He simply said that he would not, unless America got bad enough. I believe he thinks America has gotten bad enough.

So, I am voting for Trump, not because he is great orator. Not because he is a great politician. And not because he would even make a great President (because neither probably will). I am voting for Trump because I do believe he loves America and wants to see our great country brought back to where she needs to be. Under Hillary, we will continue down the path to a socialist nation. Don't believe me? Read Saul Alinsky's book on creating a socialist nation. It lines up perfectly with Hillary's plan. BTW, she did her thesis on him in college.

I also see that Hillary did part of her thesis on the famous socialist, Saul Alinsky & it's as though she is taking his definition of humanism as a personal application to share with America.
Nov. 9th is most likely going to be a very sad day in America when she wins!
Some on this board will sigh a collective 'awwwww' but who knows the intent.
I will continue to prepare my church for the future storm.

What are you focused on?
10/23/16 4:55 pm

Post Re: I am sick of hearing the "Supreme Court card" played! Aaron Scott
diakoneo wrote:
This is the argument many evangelicals "leaders" are left with and they are playing it for all it is worth. It is like they are telling us there is no way a Scotus justice can be rejected. Turned down. They don't remember Robert Bork, An excellent conservative constitutionalist? Nominated by a very popular president Ronald Reagan? The nomination was rejected and we got a much milder liberal justice in his place.

Yes, it is true that a Republican Senate may turn down a Clinton nominee. But if that happens, say, twice in a row, people begin to get angry. They see it as obstructionism, rather than ideology. And so the pressure will arise to appoint a Clinton nominee.

Further, there is all kinds of gamemanship in these things. She may nominate a hardcore radical...then, when that person is rejected, she nominates someone who is still far to the left, but who seems so tame in comparison. It begins to force the Senate's hand.

The Supreme Court "card," as you call it, is the PRIMARY reason I plan to vote for Trump. In truth, I am not voting FOR him...but AGAINST Hillary (and really not her, but the Democrats' platform).

We will not have a chance to undo this in four years if Hillary doesn't work out. By that time, the Supreme Court will almost certainly be tilted to the left for the next GENERATION. Our kids will almost certainly never see the freedoms that you and I grew up with. They will not even know to LONG for these freedoms.

That is why I am voting AGAINST Hillary.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/23/16 5:01 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
Here is a good sound business man who wasn't going to support Trump but he does now & the SCOTUS issue is of big concern to him & his family & thousands of families who depend on HL for their income.

Copied & posted here - Source: ijr.com

One of the endorsements that Trump failed to get during the GOP primary was that of David Green, the CEO of Hobby Lobby.

In fact, a few days before Trump swept Super Tuesday in March, Green said of the potential Republican nominee, via Politico:

�Our family business that we began with $600, has quite possibly been more successful than Mr. Trump�s, but that doesn�t make either of us qualified to be president.

Green added that Trump �scares me to death.�

Then, he endorsed Florida Senator Marco Rubio's presidential run.

After Rubio dropped out, however, Green didn't say much about the presidential race. And he didn't make any comments when Trump got the Republican presidential nomination, either.

Now, with election day only 67 days out, Green is talking politics again, and he's endorsing Trump. He says he's doing it because he doesn't trust Hillary Clinton to choose judges who will preserve America's religious liberty.

In an editorial for USA Today, Green wrote, in part:

"Make no mistake, the vacancy left by Justice Scalia and the subsequent appointment to fill his seat makes this presidential election one of the most significant in modern times. During a 2015 speech at the Women in the World Summit, Hillary Clinton declared that religious beliefs have to be changed.

What I fear she really means is that the beliefs of people of faith across our nation will be discounted, and those people will be forced to violate their conscience under her presidency � a philosophy that would be carried out by anyone she nominates for the Supreme Court.

Clinton has made no secret she believes government interests supersede the protection of religious liberty.

In contrast, Donald Trump has been steadfast in expressing his commitment to uphold the Constitution, and his list of possible Supreme Court nominees inspires confidence that there is hope in my future � and in my grandchildren�s future � for a country that will value those most fundamental rights."

Like Trump, Green is a billionaire, and he built an empire with his Hobby Lobby business. The founder and CEO is a leader among social conservatives, an area where Trump struggles to gain support.

According to a Gallup poll, at 53%, the majority of Republicans are social conservatives. So having as big of a voice as Green behind him could give Trump an edge he's been needing all along.

What are you focused on?
10/25/16 7:27 pm

Post Re: (L) Methocostal
Bonnie
I understand your point and it could absolutely be correct in this specific situation. However, it looks extremely odd that this happened in October. It doesn't meet the smell test for authenticity-given the timing. That said, I also think it could be ENTIRELY within Trump's egotism for those accusations to be true. And, that is not even considering his lewd comments about women that was leaked. For an egomaniac such as Trump to make unwanted advances to women is absolutely possible. However, I still question the timing of this. Goodness, I heard there is a porn star making accusations. What kind of credibility does she have. I'm sure it would enhance her star power to make that claim.

But, I do understand many women are relunctant to come forward and it is entirely possible to be true. We had a sexual predator, and possible rapist, as President before and we survived as a country. I have to say I'm more concerned with the known Supreme Court appointments Hillary WILL make. Trump (may) do the same, but at least he says he wants. I'm afraid I may have to gamble on potential than vote for the absolute threat to our freedom via the Court.

The fact is we don't know for certain if he acted on his teenage lewd comments.

We have a mess the Republican party created. Voting 3rd party will only help Hillary. Abstaining, will help Hillary. Trump is an absolute jerk, regardless of whether he is in fact guilty of the latest accusations.

bonnie knox wrote:
One thing you may have overlooked about the timing is that it came after Trump's own words incriminated him. In other words women that may have felt certain they wouldn't have been believed, now feel there is enough evidence about what kind of person he is that they know they will be believed. You would probably be surprised at how many women are abused in some way who keep it hidden because they fear recrimination or fear they won't be believed. It's a valid fear, especially when there is no hard evidence like a semen-stained blue dress.

As far as the witness, Anthony Gilberthorpe, that supposedly "debunked" Jessica Leed's account, I'm not sure how trustworthy he is.
https://web.archive.org/web/20140812194717/http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=street_of_shame

Please educate yourself about sexual abuse.

Quote:
Friendly Face
10/26/16 9:08 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
The fact is we don't know for certain if he acted on his teenage lewd comments.

But we know for a fact he was older than a teenager when he made the remarks.
He was around 60 years old. Please tell me decent 50 to 60 year old men don't joke about sexually assaulting women!
If people want to vote for him because they think it is worse to have Hillary as president, that is up to the dictates of the conscience of the individual voting, but why do people, evangelical Christians no less, try to dismiss Trump's words and behavior? Is it just not possible to say, "I condemn his terrible attitude toward women, his adultery, his lewd comments, but I am voting for him because I think Hillary will do more damage to our country."
His attitude toward women is not the only thing that makes him unfit for president, either.
(Btw, regardless of how virtuous or sleazy a woman's past, she has traditionally gotten trashed if she made an accusation of sexual assault. That is why there are "rape shield laws." I'm not saying all the women accusing Trump are being honest, but that's a side trail I'm trying to avoid on this thread.)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/26/16 12:39 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic