Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
@actscelerate Twitter  @actscelerate Facebook  @actscelerate Google+ 

Does God Want Us to Prosper?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
   Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Does God Want Us to Prosper? Aaron Scott
Does He want us to be well instead of sick?

Does He want us to be saved rather than lost?

Does He want us to have plenty vs. living in poverty?

OF COURSE!

Does that mean it always happens that way? Sadly, no. There are times we don't prosper because of poor decisions. Or because of the severity of a spiritual fight.

There are times we remain sick because of, perhaps, not having the requisite faith. Or, for that matter, there may be something that God is working...but we have not yet done what He wants done. Or it may be because we have lived/acted in ways that are unhealthy. For instance, you don't get to, say, go without sleep for days on end and think that you health will remain untouched. God does not always shield us from the consequences of poor decisions. If He did...we'd continue making poor decisions.

And, of course, a person can choose to not follow Jesus...and so will be lost--EVEN THOUGH THAT IS NOT GOD'S WILL!

On and on and on....

But today, reading in III John, I read that old familiar passage:

Quote:
(3 John 1:1 KJV) The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth.

(3 John 1:2 KJV) Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.


It came to me that PERHAPS Gaius was going through a time of testing.... And that John wrote those kind and loving words of the second verse.

It also occurred to me that John would say that to US TODAY. Why? Because, OF COURSE, he wants us to prosper and be in health, even as our soul prosperth! That is the wish and desire of every church father and human father! We ALL want our children (so to speak) to enjoy life and prosper, even as their soul prosperth.

So, YES, God does want us to prosper.

That doesn't mean everyone is. But that is no less His wish and desire and will than it is that none perish. I am convinced of that.

Why isn't everyone prospering? Well, perhaps their soul isn't prospering. But I would, in return, ask those who doubt, "Why is not everyone saved from perishing?" And I think you will find that there is some kernel of truth in THAT answer that will address the rest.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
Posts: 4937
9/21/16 2:52 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post simple question bonnie knox
The Lord showed Paul what he would suffer for Christ's sake.
Was that persecution God's will or not?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
Posts: 14803
9/21/16 3:13 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Resident Skeptic
Isn't this salutation of John just that, a greeting? Isn't it akin to us opening a message with, "I hope you are doing ok" or "It is my sincere hope that all is well with you"? Can we even begin to find some doctrinal meaning to 3 John 1:2?
_________________
"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves UPCI


Last edited by Resident Skeptic on 9/21/16 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
Posts: 7461
9/21/16 3:24 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Eddie Robbins
Those poor old disciples just didn't understand when they claimed "silver and gold have we none." Bless their hearts. Their souls weren't prospering. 😂😂😂😂😂 Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 16025
9/21/16 3:59 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post bonnie knox
Quote:
silver and gold have we none


What a negative confession! Surely if things were on earth as in heaven, the disciples would have had gold!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
Posts: 14803
9/21/16 4:06 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Nature Boy Florida
Jesus was glad Lazarus had died. Said it was for God's glory.

I guess Jesus didn't know much about Jesus.

Aaron knows Jesus better than Jesus.


Quote:
John 11: 4
But when Jesus heard about it he said, “Lazarus’s sickness will not end in death. No, it happened for the glory of God so that the Son of God will receive glory from this.” 5 So although Jesus loved Martha, Mary, and Lazarus, 6 he stayed where he was for the next two days. 7 Finally, he said to his disciples, “Let’s go back to Judea.”

8 But his disciples objected. “Rabbi,” they said, “only a few days ago the people in Judea were trying to stone you. Are you going there again?”

9 Jesus replied, “There are twelve hours of daylight every day. During the day people can walk safely. They can see because they have the light of this world. 10 But at night there is danger of stumbling because they have no light.” 11 Then he said, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but now I will go and wake him up.”

12 The disciples said, “Lord, if he is sleeping, he will soon get better!” 13 They thought Jesus meant Lazarus was simply sleeping, but Jesus meant Lazarus had died.

14 So he told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead. 15 And for your sakes, I’m glad I wasn’t there, for now you will really believe. Come, let’s go see him.”

_________________
Whether you like it or not, learn to love it, because its the best thing going today!
Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 15920
9/21/16 4:32 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Nature Boy Florida
John the Baptist was very prosperous.
That camel hair must have been lined with gold threads or something.
_________________
Whether you like it or not, learn to love it, because its the best thing going today!
Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 15920
9/21/16 4:34 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Eddie Robbins
Not only that, but we also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,
Romans 5:3

Must be a misprint.
Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 16025
9/21/16 4:54 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Quiet Wyatt
1 Tim 6:3If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, 4he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, 5and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain. 6But godliness with contentment is great gain, 7for we brought nothing into the world, andc we cannot take anything out of the world. 8But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 9But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

11But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. 12Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony befored Pontius Pilate made the good confession, 14to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15which he will display at the proper time—he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen.
17As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. 18They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, 19thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.
20 O Timothy, guard the deposit entrusted to you. Avoid the irreverent babble and contradictions of what is falsely called “knowledge,” 21for by professing it some have swerved from the faith. Grace be with you. ESV

Paul apparently didn't have the revelation on prosperity yet. 🤓
Acts-perienced Poster
Posts: 12278
9/21/16 5:07 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Old Time Country Preacher
It all depends on how a feller defines prosperity:

1. If ya define it biblically, which means "success in a matter," absolutely. Whatever God calls us to do he wants us to accomplish it and be successful--that means achieve whatever it is he has called us to do.

2. If ya mean that ever believer by virtue of bein covered by the blood of Jesus an saved is automatically entitled to material riches, absolutely not.

An yes, 3 John 2 is a common greeting from that time period, just like we would say "Hey, hope all is well with ya," it is not the foundation or validation for anyone to preach/teach/believe that everbody is gonna be filthy rich.

When Paula White talks about the wealth of the wicked is laid up for the righteous, again, faulty exegesis. This has nothing to do with a Christian bein entitled to riches.

The entire woffie house of cards is built on a few incorrectly interpreted passages.
Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 15480
9/21/16 5:22 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Old Time Country Preacher
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
John the Baptist was very prosperous.
That camel hair must have been lined with gold threads or something.


An I bet he had filet mignon, cavear, an a three course meal with em locusts.
Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 15480
9/21/16 5:22 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post bonnie knox
If some folks were prospering as their soul prospered, they would have to down-size on the material things. Shocked [Insert Acts Pun Here]
Posts: 14803
9/21/16 5:30 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post diakoneo
bonnie knox wrote:
If some folks were prospering as their soul prospered, they would have to down-size on the material things. Shocked


And if your soul prospered a lot you probably wouldn't care that much about the other stuff.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
Posts: 3196
9/21/16 6:01 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Resident... Aaron Scott
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Isn't this salutation of John just that, a greeting? Isn't it akin to us opening a message with, "I hope you are doing ok" or "It is my sincere hope that all is well with you"? Can we even begin to find some doctrinal meaning to 3 John 1:2?



Well, I guess that depends on whether you think it was inspired of God or not.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
Posts: 4937
9/21/16 6:51 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Re: simple question Aaron Scott
bonnie knox wrote:
The Lord showed Paul what he would suffer for Christ's sake.
Was that persecution God's will or not?


Jesus told us that in advance: (John 16:33 KJV) These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

We are persecuted because the devil doesn't like what's going on. But that doesn't mean we aren't rejoicing and prospering because of God's blessing.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
Posts: 4937
9/21/16 6:52 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Eddie...oh, wait... Aaron Scott
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Those poor old disciples just didn't understand when they claimed "silver and gold have we none." Bless their hearts. Their souls weren't prospering. 😂😂😂😂😂


Were you under the impression that "prospering" can only mean money?

Prospering can take a thousand different forms--and I guarantee you that Peter and John would not have taken all the silver and gold in the world for what they had! So, yeah, they were PROSPERING!
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
Posts: 4937
9/21/16 6:54 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Aaron Scott
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Jesus was glad Lazarus had died. Said it was for God's glory.

I guess Jesus didn't know much about Jesus.

Aaron knows Jesus better than Jesus.


Quote:
John 11: 4
But when Jesus heard about it he said, “Lazarus’s sickness will not end in death. No, it happened for the glory of God so that the Son of God will receive glory from this.” 5 So although Jesus loved Martha, Mary, and Lazarus, 6 he stayed where he was for the next two days. 7 Finally, he said to his disciples, “Let’s go back to Judea.”

8 But his disciples objected. “Rabbi,” they said, “only a few days ago the people in Judea were trying to stone you. Are you going there again?”

9 Jesus replied, “There are twelve hours of daylight every day. During the day people can walk safely. They can see because they have the light of this world. 10 But at night there is danger of stumbling because they have no light.” 11 Then he said, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but now I will go and wake him up.”

12 The disciples said, “Lord, if he is sleeping, he will soon get better!” 13 They thought Jesus meant Lazarus was simply sleeping, but Jesus meant Lazarus had died.

14 So he told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead. 15 And for your sakes, I’m glad I wasn’t there, for now you will really believe. Come, let’s go see him.”



A simple question, NBF: Was Lazarus' sickness for God's glory? It sure was! Because God raised Lazarus from the dead...for the His Own Glory!

If God didn't want to see Lazarus raised from the dead, then Lazarus would not have been raised from the dead. So it WAS God's will to heal, to raise, to restore, to revive, to....
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
Posts: 4937
9/21/16 6:57 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post NBF...(Not By Faith) Aaron Scott
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
John the Baptist was very prosperous.
That camel hair must have been lined with gold threads or something.


What makes you think John was poor or not prospering? He was someone who had secluded himself away with God.

Prospering? Jesus said there was no one born of women who was greater than John the Baptist. I'd call that a pretty good accounting for himself.

Again, as I told Eddie, do not make the mistake of thinking that "prospering" only means monetary wealth or the such. John the Baptist had been given a role far, far, far higher than an billionaire on earth--he had been called to be a voice in the wilderness.

Would you think that anyone who has the mighty touch of God on their life is NOT prospering?

Even when some people are in POVERTY, Jesus calls them rich.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
Posts: 4937
9/21/16 7:02 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Eddie Aaron Scott
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Not only that, but we also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,
Romans 5:3

Must be a misprint.



(2 Corinthians 9:8 KJV) And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

I guess this is, too.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
Posts: 4937
9/21/16 7:04 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post QW... Aaron Scott
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
1 Tim 6:3If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, 4he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, 5and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain. 6But godliness with contentment is great gain, 7for we brought nothing into the world, andc we cannot take anything out of the world. 8But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 9But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

11But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. 12Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony befored Pontius Pilate made the good confession, 14to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15which he will display at the proper time—he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen.
17As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. 18They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, 19thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.
20 O Timothy, guard the deposit entrusted to you. Avoid the irreverent babble and contradictions of what is falsely called “knowledge,” 21for by professing it some have swerved from the faith. Grace be with you. ESV

Paul apparently didn't have the revelation on prosperity yet. 🤓



Quiet Wyatt...you are defining "prosper" to mean something akin to monetary wealth. Now, it may indeed be that, but it is not ONLY that.

Why is it that Jesus tells us that if our own sons will ask this or that of us, and we will give it to them, HOW MUCH MORE will God do?

(Matthew 7:11 KJV) If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Why are you so concerned about the word prosperity? Is it because others have used it amiss? So? Let them. That doesn't change the fact that God would want us to prosper.

Now, I know you may not have read all my post, but you do realize that I have argued that, just as God is NOT willing that any perish, yet some do, so, too, can He be willing that all prosper...yet some don't.

I'm not sure some folks don't disqualify themselves through their unbelief that God would ever, ever, ever WANT us to prosper.

Well, here's the deal: If He does not want us to prosper, then that means He DOES NOT WANT US TO PROSPER, right? Go preach that and tell me how God anoints it.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
Posts: 4937
9/21/16 7:10 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Acts-celerate Terms of Use | Acts-celerate Policy
World News Network | Acts-celerate Chat
Contact the Administrator.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group :: Spelling by SpellingCow.