Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

A word of APPRECIATION for Perry Stone
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Point of "clarification?" Carolyn Smith
4thgeneration wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
If you disagree with Perry, that's fine. If you don't want to listen to him, that's fine. But saying he or any of our COG ministers get his inspiration or resources from a bottle of Jim Beam is way over the top. It's mean-spirited and it's wrong.

Isn't it correct that Perry Stone is no longer a COG credentialed minister? I seem to remember that at some point he met with a General Overseer and turned in his credentials. It wasn't about anything wrong in his life/ministry, just that the direction he felt God was leading him caused him to believe it was in everyone's best interest. Maybe I dreamed that, but I don't think I did... And if I did, maybe he can interpret the dream for me! Very Happy

From Perry's website under "About Perry": "Stone also defies nearly every stereotype leveled at Pentecostals. Affiliated with the Church of God (Cleveland, Tenn.), he can preach like a Pentecostal but usually teaches in a more academic style."

That sounds more like the story I heard about Jentezen Franklin.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/22/16 5:52 pm

Post Link
I don't usually watch Perry Stone. I first heard of him maybe 10 years ago during one of my trips to the US mainland because my brother-in-law is a fan. Perry stone was selling or giving away something, I think it was a star of David with a cross on the bottom, that supposedly someone found a picture of at a first century site in Jerusalem.

A scholarly type friend of mine who studied in Israel said the idea that that was a first century symbol was proven to be a hoax. The t-cross as a Christian symbol and the star of David as the symbol for all of Judaism both came later, so it is not suprising that it was a hoax. The chi-rho is older, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jesus had been crucified on an X-shaped cross. It fits the archeologial evidence better, IMO.

I've seen bits and pieces of Perry Stone, and I drove from North Georgia to Macon once with my wife because we heard he was down there when I was in Georgia for a while. I don't remember him saying anything too over the top there, but I have on TV.

On TV once, he kept talking about... I think it was a dream or vision of a black oil tornado. Looking back, with BP spill, which as a massive environmental thing, and the fact that dreams can be metaphorical, that was pretty interesting. But when he interpreted his dream, he kept saying he thought it was going to be some kind of nuclear explosion or something really sensational like that. It seemed like he might be saying the Lord was showing him there was going to be this big explosion in the Guft. I think a lot of viewers could leave with the impression that he was saying that God was saying there would be a nuclear explosion in the Gulf or something really, really big like that.

I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility that he had a legitimate revelatory dream that actually pointed to the events that took place. But the way he put his own interpretation and theories on it, and speculated led to a lot of other conclusions.

I watched Perry Stone's TV show briefly once, and he was talking about Hell. He told a story about Jaque Cousteau's brother diving underneath the Burmuda triangle to some pyramids down there, and hearing the horrific cries of Hell. Perry reported or theorized that there were gates to Hell, under the earth, where people could hear the screams.

There seems to be a growth of conspiracy theories out there these days. I know a couple of people who like to repeat this stuff. It annoys and concerns me. Usually conspiracy theories do 'research' to find theories out. The evidence seems to be YouTube videos that don't cite sources, or tenuous conclusions drawn from those sources. I think preachers need to have a good 'filter' in how they interpret information and not fan the flames for those who are overly suspicious.

Also, what type of stuff are we supposed to do in ministry? The things spoken and sung about should be revelation and edification. We either talk about God's already revealed word, or what God is revealing. God could make manifest the secrets of one's heart through prophecy, and the Bible shows us that that is acceptable in church (I Corinthians 14.) But we shouldn't share wild speculation in church that has no basis in revelation from God. And if we do share revelation, we shouldn't hype it up with wildly speculative interpretations and possibly blur the line between what is revelation and what is speculation.
9/24/16 7:53 pm

Post Cojak
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
saying he or any of our COG ministers get his inspiration or resources from a bottle of Jim Beam is way over the top. It's mean-spirited and it's wrong.

I didn't read where anybody said such a thing.

You don't remember the pic of a big bottle of Jim Beam when someone asked what his resources were? Well, it was there.

The post was deleted.

Yes, of course the bottle was there. I did not care then nor now the WHO, but yes it was there. I do not know Perry Stone, never heard him. I never even heard of him except here, yep I live under that rock. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/24/16 9:45 pm

Post Any poster can disagree with what somebody said doyle
It s completely in order for posters to review, challenge and cretique what someone publishes, states publicly or promotes on their website, That goes for Perry too.

However, we do not allow personal attacks. One can disagree with what someone says, without making personal attacks. One poster in particular
claimed that Perry gets his inspiration from Jim Beam. He posted a large photo of a Jim Beam bottle.

We have not identified the one making that post, but it has been deleted. That is why some of you did not see the Jim Beam bottle.

I like Perry, always have and still do. I admire his success in the Lord's work. He certainly has reached a lot of people. I wish all of us could reach that many people, but what Perry publishes is open for discussion.

Doyle
9/27/16 6:21 am

Post diakoneo
Quote:
We have not identified the one making that post, but it has been deleted.

Confused Confused Confused

Help me out here, someone.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/28/16 5:47 pm

Post bonnie knox
The post with the picture of the whiskey has been deleted, but the administrators/moderators are not saying here in this thread who the person was who initially made the post (even though they know and anyone who read the thread while that post was up knows).
Hope that helps.

diakoneo wrote:
Quote:

[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/28/16 6:01 pm

Post diakoneo
bonnie knox wrote:
The post with the picture of the whiskey has been deleted, but the administrators/moderators are not saying here in this thread who the person was who initially made the post (even though they know and anyone who read the thread while that post was up knows).
Hope that helps.

diakoneo wrote:
Quote:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh...
I thought he meant, they didn't know who posted it.

Smile Laughing
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/28/16 11:42 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Ohhhhhhhhhhh...
I thought he meant, they didn't know who posted it.

Couldn't get your mind off "anonymous source," eh?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/29/16 7:08 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic