Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What does the Old Testament show us about God?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post What does the Old Testament show us about God? bradfreeman
"For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ. No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him." John 1:17,18

At the end of all the Old Testament, John simply said "no one has seen God". The Old Testament didn't show us God...Jesus did.

At the end of Jesus' life, Jesus said, "from now on...you have seen Him."

"If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.John 14:7

This is simply what the Bible says about itself.
If you want to see God, look at Jesus.

He killed no one.
He healed everyone who asked.
He forgave without people even asking.
He refused to rain fire (Lk 9:56).
He refused to condemn (Jn 3:17).
He refused to accuse (Jn 5:45).
He welcomed sinners.
He rejected the religious system that elevated rules above people (Mk 3:6)
His vengeance, His anger, His ax, His curse and His rebuke was reserved for a fruitless fig tree of religion that was only ministering condemnation, fear and death.

"Yeah, but the OT God made people sick!" You haven't seen God. Jesus made no one sick and healed all who asked.
"Yeah, but the OT God rained fire!" You haven't seen God. Jesus refused to rain fire and doesn't destroy men's lives.
"Yeah, but the OT God killed people!" You haven't seen God. The thief comes to kill, Jesus came to give abundant life.

We did not see God at any time in the OT. What we saw in the OT was the fruit of a tree of death, a tree of the knowledge of good and evil, a tree that produces toil, sweat, curses, thorns and thistles...cut down by Jesus.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
9/12/16 8:06 am

Post wayne
not yet but the day is coming when He will do all those things. Acts Enthusiast
9/12/16 8:23 am

Post Jesus said the OT pointed to him bonnie knox
Luke:24
25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?

27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/12/16 8:31 am

Post Jesus said the OT scriptures testified of him bonnie knox
John 5:39
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/12/16 8:32 am

Post peterz3fo
I highly recommend reading the book Is God a Moral Monster: Understanding the God of the Old Testament by Paul Copan. Friendly Face
9/12/16 8:59 am

Post Link
"Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way,
for his wrath is quickly kindled" (Psa 2:12).
"The Lord is at your right hand;
he will shatter kings on the day of his wrath.
He will execute judgment among the nations,
filling them with corpses;
he will shatter chiefs
over the wide earth" (Psa 110:5,6).

"Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels" (Mat 25:41).
"God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you, and to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might ..." (2The 1:6-9).
9/12/16 6:50 pm

Post Mark Ledbetter
For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, and abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon You. - Psalm 86.5

Good and upright is the Lord; therefore He instructs sinners in the way. He teaches the humble in justice and He teaches the humble His way. All the paths of the Lord are lovingkindness and truth to those who keep His covenant and His testimonies. For Your name's sake, O Lord, pardon my iniquity, for it is great. - Psalm 25:11

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits; Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases; Who redeems your life from the pit, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion; Who satisfies your years with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle. - Psalm 103:1-5

These are just a a few things found in the Holy Scriptures revealing the Goodness and Lovingkindness of the God of the Old Testament.

His name is Yahweh!!!
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
9/12/16 7:42 pm

Post Re: What does the Old Testament show us about God? Mark Ledbetter
bradfreeman wrote:
"[i]
We did not see God at any time in the OT. What we saw in the OT was the fruit of a tree of death, a tree of the knowledge of good and evil, a tree that produces toil, sweat, curses, thorns and thistles...cut down by Jesus.

Typology gone to seed and reminiscent of the early Greek Fathers who turned the Scriptures upside down, using the New Testament to interpret the Old rather than using the methodology of Jesus and the Apostles who interpreted the New by the Old.

Also smacks of the heresy of Marcion, who rejected the God of the Old Testament and suggested the God of the New Testament was an entirely different being.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
9/12/16 9:55 pm

Post Re: Jesus said the OT pointed to him bradfreeman
bonnie knox wrote:
Luke:24
25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?

27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

John 5:39
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Yes! And this too...

Heb. 10:7 “Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come
(In the scroll of the book it is written of Me)
To do Your will, O God.’”

Acts-dicted
9/13/16 5:50 am

Post bradfreeman
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, and abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon You. - Psalm 86.5

Good and upright is the Lord; therefore He instructs sinners in the way. He teaches the humble in justice and He teaches the humble His way. All the paths of the Lord are lovingkindness and truth to those who keep His covenant and His testimonies. For Your name's sake, O Lord, pardon my iniquity, for it is great. - Psalm 25:11

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits; Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases; Who redeems your life from the pit, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion; Who satisfies your years with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle. - Psalm 103:1-5

These are just a a few things found in the Holy Scriptures revealing the Goodness and Lovingkindness of the God of the Old Testament.

His name is Yahweh!!!

Yes!

Not just David, but many others (see Heb 11) heard and saw shadowy pictures of Him, His hinder parts, the Gospel preached beforehand (that all nations would be blessed - Gal 3:8) and believed!

Acts-dicted
9/13/16 5:56 am

Post Re: What does the Old Testament show us about God? peterz3fo
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
bradfreeman wrote:
"[i]

Typology gone to seed and reminiscent of the early Greek Fathers who turned the Scriptures upside down, using the New Testament to interpret the Old rather than using the methodology of Jesus and the Apostles who interpreted the New by the Old.

Also smacks of the heresy of Marcion, who rejected the God of the Old Testament and suggested the God of the New Testament was an entirely different being.

Agree with Mark ... that's REALLY bad theology ... please don't teach this to anyone!
Friendly Face
9/13/16 7:30 am

Post Re: What does the Old Testament show us about God? Nature Boy Florida
peterz3fo wrote:
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
bradfreeman wrote:
"[i]

Agree with Mark ... that's REALLY bad theology ... please don't teach this to anyone!

Yes - maybe I need to rethink my opposition to Brad's stuff on Acts - if he wastes his time with it here - at least he can't be teaching this stuff elsewhere.
9/13/16 7:32 am

Post Re: What does the Old Testament show us about God? bradfreeman
peterz3fo wrote:

That was a well-reasoned, thoughtful, scripturally-based response. Thanks!

You'll want to stay away from this passage:

John 1:17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.

Law through Moses = no one has seen God
Grace & Truth through Christ = He has declared Him

The Truth is not a list of rules, it's a person who showed us the truth about the Father.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. 7 “If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.”

Acts-dicted
9/13/16 8:16 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic