Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Thom Ranier: 15 Reasons Pastors SHOULD NOT Visit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Methocostal
I should amend my comment that I had attended numerous "mega" churches. I used that term too broadly, if mega is interpreted to be over 1,000 members. If so, I've only attended 4 mega Churches. I was thinking more in terms of what normally constitutes a "large" church, particularly in COG and COGOP culture where 300 is considered pretty good size.

I did attend a "mega" Assembly of God with 3,000 or so where the announcements were pre-recorded by anchors from the TV station in Orlando. They had elevators and escalators. That was just a mite too slick for my tastes Smile
Friendly Face
9/22/16 4:07 pm

Post Methocostal
Skinny, how can you POSSIBLY be a Bishop Smile Don't ya know you have to be fat to be a bishop Smile

skinnybishop wrote:
I have found that many people have a misguided view of what pastors are supposed to do. They know pastor means "shepherd" and they construct a job description solely based on that image, and not on Scripture.

Like it or not....the only New Testament use of "pastor", as a position in the church has a specific description. That description is far removed from the typical concept of a shepherd.

The truth is, "pastor" isn't the only term used to describe a local church leader. Elder, Bishop, Overseer, etc. are all used to describe such an individual. In short, people get hung up on the idea that a modern day pastor is a "shepherd" and create responsibilities based on that idea.
A modern day pastor IS a shepherd...but he/she is more than that.

The problem is, people use the idea of "You are supposed to be a shepherd" as a rationale for the local pastor to do any and everything that local church expects.
Friendly Face
9/22/16 4:08 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.