Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Beer and bacon cheeseburgers - Is Jesus disqualified from COG leadership?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Would be interesting....... bradfreeman
spartanfan wrote:
Why didn't the Holy Spirit reveal that to them when they were getting saved, while they were involved in such intimate and intense conversation? Just wondering.

Maybe it wasn't the Holy Spirit at all. Maybe it was the pressure people, preachers, parents can apply. This pressure, this shame, this condemnation was real for Peter when the religious crowd showed up at Antioch.

The pressure is real. Those voices in your head and "heart" are real. They just aren't God.

"But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For prior to the coming of certain men from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he began to withdraw and hold himself aloof, fearing the party of the circumcision." Gal. 2:11,12

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
9/3/16 7:03 am

Post Re: spartanfan
I'm not willing to suffer the consequences of winning this argument

Last edited by spartanfan on 9/3/16 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
9/3/16 8:23 am

Post Eddie Robbins
So, did the Spirit of the Lord prompt you to repent from eating so many double cheeseburgers with bacon? Probably not and the reason is that there was no pressure about over eating when we were growing up. It was OK for us to eat ourselves into obesity until we died. Which is better for you, A loaded double cheeseburger with bacon or a half glass of wine? Which one would Jesus do? Which one did he do? Can you abuse alcohol? Of course! It is a matter of personal responsibility just like with guns. Guns do not kill people. Alcohol does not kill people. People kill people! Acts-pert Poster
9/3/16 8:33 am

Post c6thplayer1
Eddie Robbins wrote:
It's funny how alcohol causes all of these problems and not personal responsibility but when it comes to guns, it's different.

Now thats the first response on alcohol usage that makes sense.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/3/16 11:33 am

Post bonnie knox
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
It's funny how alcohol causes all of these problems and not personal responsibility but when it comes to guns, it's different.

If you have three, does it alter your judgment?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/3/16 11:36 am

Post Eddie Robbins
bonnie knox wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

If you have three, does it alter your judgment?

If you're serious...three what? Three bottles of wine? 😬
Acts-pert Poster
9/3/16 3:02 pm

Post Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:
If you're serious...three what? Three bottles of wine? 😬
3 bottles ain't bad, but........

Imma thinking it is 3 guns. Yep it alters things some. RR ad Gene had two guns did okay, the third mighta been confusing. LOL
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/3/16 5:14 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:
So, did the Spirit of the Lord prompt you to repent from eating so many double cheeseburgers with bacon? Probably not and the reason is that there was no pressure about over eating when we were growing up. It was OK for us to eat ourselves into obesity until we died. Which is better for you, A loaded double cheeseburger with bacon or a half glass of wine? Which one would Jesus do? Which one did he do? Can you abuse alcohol? Of course! It is a matter of personal responsibility just like with guns. Guns do not kill people. Alcohol does not kill people. People kill people!

Eddie..I don't agree there wasn't pressure to not over eat.
Every family was different. My grandfather was a COG preacher, was 5'10" and never weighed over 145 lbs. He seriously believed in not overeating. Of course he didn't believe in cokes, alcohol, or cigs either. His dessert consisted of one oatmeal cookie at every,meal. Every meal. Perhaps he was ahead of his time.
9/4/16 3:25 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
So, did the Spirit of the Lord prompt you to repent from eating so many double cheeseburgers with bacon? Probably not and the reason is that there was no pressure about over eating when we were growing up. It was OK for us to eat ourselves into obesity until we died. Which is better for you, A loaded double cheeseburger with bacon or a half glass of wine? Which one would Jesus do? Which one did he do? Can you abuse alcohol? Of course! It is a matter of personal responsibility just like with guns. Guns do not kill people. Alcohol does not kill people. People kill people!

Eddie..I don't agree there wasn't pressure to not over eat.
Every family was different. My grandfather was a COG preacher, was 5'10" and never weighed over 145 lbs. He seriously believed in not overeating. Of course he didn't believe in cokes, alcohol, or cigs either. His dessert consisted of one oatmeal cookie at every,meal. Every meal. Perhaps he was ahead of his time.

There were a few, no doubt, but the church culture and especially in the South, was food driven. Very event was/is surrounded by unhealthy food.
Acts-pert Poster
9/4/16 4:42 pm

Post MARK317
Eddie Robbins wrote:

You aren't serious are you? I get the gun thing. and I get the overeating think. Although that's an old worn out excuse of the past.
But you could not be more wrong about Alcohol. The consumption of alcohol absolutely does kill people. Even one drink, impairs judgement and reflexes.
If 5 drinks makes one drunk, then 1 drink makes one 20% intoxicated. And that is enough to to make that one little mistake that misses the stop sign, or the guy driving right beside you.
Sorry, you are flat wrong about alcohol.
If a drunk driver wiped your loved one out on the road, you would think different. Sorry, you are wrong, wrong.
Acts-celerater
9/4/16 5:12 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
MARK317 wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

You aren't serious are you? I get the gun thing. and I get the overeating think. Although that's an old worn out excuse of the past.
But you could not be more wrong about Alcohol. The consumption of alcohol absolutely does kill people. Even one drink, impairs judgement and reflexes.
If 5 drinks makes one drunk, then 1 drink makes one 20% intoxicated. And that is enough to to make that one little mistake that misses the stop sign, or the guy driving right beside you.
If a drunk driver wiped your loved one out on the road, you would think different. Sorry, you are wrong, wrong.

I was comparing it to the gun issue. Of course, I'm serious. It's all about personal responsibility. I have had several loved ones and family members killed by drunk drivers. I have also had friends killed by guns. Again, alcohol nor guns kill people. People kill people.

Being overweight is not a worn out excuse of the past.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/heavy-burden-obesity-may-be-even-deadlier-thought-6C10930019
Acts-pert Poster
9/4/16 5:43 pm

Post MARK317
Eddie Robbins wrote:
MARK317 wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

I was comparing it to the gun issue. Of course, I'm serious. It's all about personal responsibility. I have had several loved ones and family members killed by drunk drivers. I have also had friends killed by guns. Again, alcohol nor guns kill people. People kill people.

Being overweight is not a worn out excuse of the past.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/heavy-burden-obesity-may-be-even-deadlier-thought-6C10930019

Not all people are responsible. But the facts remain, you can be a good, responsible person, with just one drink, and that one drink impair your reflexes just enough to kill people. Take the alcohol out of the equation, and everyone makes it home. Alcohol, like any drug absolutely kills people.
Also, the thing about overeating, is relevant today. What I was getting at, is every time alcohol consumption comes us, some guys jumps on the bandwagon of overeating.
If one over eats, of course they are hurting themselves. But just one drink can kill a family. The overeating compared to alcohol, in this issue is apples and oranges.
Acts-celerater
9/5/16 12:12 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
It is ALL about personal responsibility. In every case. It's not the food, the drink, tobacco or the guns. That is all I am saying. Acts-pert Poster
9/5/16 12:49 pm

Post Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:
It is ALL about personal responsibility. In every case. It's not the food, the drink, tobacco or the guns. That is all I am saying.

Thumb Up

Over heating effects millions and millions of people just as tobacco did (does). Diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease goes up, your taxes go up to pay for 'unnecessary' hospitalization and treatment caused by over eating.

Just saying.

YES EDDIE IS RIGHT, 'PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY'. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/5/16 1:05 pm

Post MARK317
Eddie Robbins wrote:
It is ALL about personal responsibility. In every case. It's not the food, the drink, tobacco or the guns. That is all I am saying.

You can not group alcohol with those other things mentioned. You can have a pack of twinkies, a pack of Marlboro's, or 9mm under the front seat, and make it home safe. But you can not have one drink without endangering you, and others.
And it is a deception to group alcohol with those other things. Personal responsibility or not, alcohol is a game-changer.
I can't say for you, but for many who hold your stance, is only a coping mechanism of toleration of alcohol. And it's an old, worn out deception that has been put on the Church for many years. That deceptive stance has emboldened many Christians over the years. And ruined many lives.
Acts-celerater
9/5/16 2:10 pm

Post MARK317
Cojak wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Thumb Up

Over heating effects millions and millions of people just as tobacco did (does). Diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease goes up, your taxes go up to pay for 'unnecessary' hospitalization and treatment caused by over eating.

Just saying.

YES EDDIE IS RIGHT, 'PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY'. Shocked

I agree " Over heating" effects millions.
Acts-celerater
9/5/16 2:11 pm

Post Patrick Harris
MARK317 wrote:
But you can not have one drink without endangering you, and others.
And it is a deception to group alcohol with those other things. Personal responsibility or not, alcohol is a game-changer.

Not a true statement. The average liver can metabolize approximately 30ml of ethanol per hour or about one drink. So the average person can drink one drink or glass of wine over an hour with a meal and still be sober.

Use facts, not hyperbole.
Acts Enthusiast
9/5/16 3:00 pm

Post MARK317
Patrick Harris wrote:
MARK317 wrote:

Not a true statement. The average liver can metabolize approximately 30ml of ethanol per hour or about one drink. So the average person can drink one drink or glass of wine over an hour with a meal and still be sober.

And there it is. Let me guess, you drink alcohol.
Earlier in my life, I did drink alcohol. You can't tell me anything about only one drink. I don't care where you get your "facts". I don't care. Because I know. I don't care about the liver or the metabolizing of 30 ml, or any other lame excuse. I know. And if you'd be honest, you know.
Acts-celerater
9/5/16 3:12 pm

Post Patrick Harris
MARK317 wrote:
Patrick Harris wrote:
MARK317 wrote:

And there it is. Let me guess, you drink alcohol.
Earlier in my life, I did drink alcohol. You can't tell me anything about only one drink. I don't care where you get your "facts". I don't care. Because I know. I don't care about the liver or the metabolizing of 30 ml, or any other lame excuse. I know. And if you'd be honest, you know.

No I don't drink actually, but I also don't exaggerate facts to make a point.
Earlier in my life I drank a lot, it's something I no longer do. But I also won't attack someone's else's personal conviction by not telling the truth.
Acts Enthusiast
9/5/16 3:16 pm

Post bonnie knox
You get drunk a lot faster on an empty stomach than if you have eaten a bacon cheeseburger. Mr. Green [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/5/16 3:58 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic