Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Sterbens Got it Started, Dr. Augustine Spoke Truth, When Will We STOP Facilitating the Facade?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Sterbens Got it Started, Dr. Augustine Spoke Truth, When Will We STOP Facilitating the Facade? Old Time Country Preacher
Yep, in Tom's post in "The Excellent Pastor in the COG" he addressed the façade of honery docterates. Bishop J David Stephens commented on the honor of bein awarded one. Course, nobody is sayin it aint a honor, only that it don't qualify a feller to be called "Dr."

Then, Dr. Jonathan Augustine, spoke voluminous truth when he said that NO ONE should ever be called "Dr" based on a honery docterate alone.

Heres the question a the day!

When will you personally stop facilitating the façade? When will you cease to reference anyone as "Dr" if all they have is a honery doctorate?

Here is the nuts/bolts a the issue. Every single time you reference a COG preacher as "Dr. Johnny Bub Doe" when all they have is an honery docterate, YOU ARE FACILITATING THE FACADE. So what can I do personally. Respect a man for what he has done in ministry. Honor him for his ministry achievements. But DO NOT TOSS ETHICS out the winder an reference somebody as something they aint or as havin something they aint got.

Last edited by Old Time Country Preacher on 8/19/16 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-pert Poster
8/19/16 10:14 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Is Hey Doc ok?
8/19/16 11:31 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
When will you personally stop facilitating the façade? When will you cease to reference anyone as "Dr" if all they have is a honery doctorate?

If I hear someone referred to as Dr. Joe Smith, I might call him Dr. Joe Smith too, not knowing his doctorate is only honorary. If I find out it is honorary, I will stop calling him Dr. Joe Smith.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/19/16 12:15 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:
If I hear someone referred to as Dr. Joe Smith, I might call him Dr. Joe Smith too, not knowing his doctorate is only honorary. If I find out it is honorary, I will stop calling him Dr. Joe Smith.

An you to be commended, Miss Bonnie..............
Acts-pert Poster
8/19/16 2:43 pm

Post Da Sheik
I refuse to call anyone "doctor" if they haven't earned it. Mostly for their own benefit. I see no need to enable their need for validation without probable cause. Cool Acts Enthusiast
8/19/16 4:20 pm

Post Link
I got me one of 'em dere earned doctorates, but you guys don't have to call me doctor.

Especially in a church context, do we need to call our brethren father, master, teacher, or doctor?
8/19/16 7:38 pm

Post diakoneo
Someone posted how many REAL doctorates there were on the CoG executive committee.

Can't remember who or how many it was Smile

Memory problems, no?

Someone remind me!
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/20/16 12:46 pm

diakoneo wrote:
Someone posted how many REAL doctorates there were on the CoG executive committee.

Memory problems, no?

Someone remind me!

Five men, one earned docterate, Dr. David Ramirez.
Acts-pert Poster
8/20/16 1:09 pm

Post diakoneo
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

Memory problems, no?

Someone remind me!

Five men, one earned docterate, Dr. David Ramirez.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

I get cornfused sometimes
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/20/16 3:04 pm

Post Call them renewal
I never call my MD, etc Dr. I always call them by their first name.

To them it is no big deal, none of them have Ever said " You must call me Dr.

Whatever.

so what is the big deal?
Acts Enthusiast
8/23/16 12:09 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I suppose it could happen in some incredibly egotistical cases, but having been around several preachers who had honorary doctorates, I have never heard of any of them demanding to be referred to by the title. My guess is that most who insist on referring to ministers with honorary doctorates as "Doctor ________" are just trying to curry favor. Now that is the kind of thing that truly amazes and really disgusts me to see, and the CoG seems to have more than its share of sycophants. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/23/16 12:17 pm

Post Cojak
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
... . My guess is that most who insist on referring to ministers with honorary doctorates as "Doctor ________" are just trying to curry favor. Now that is the kind of thing that truly amazes and really disgusts me to see, and the CoG seems to have more than its share of sycophants.

Cool Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/23/16 3:23 pm

Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I suppose it could happen in some incredibly egotistical cases, but having been around several preachers who had honorary doctorates, I have never heard of any of them demanding to be referred to by the title. My guess is that most who insist on referring to ministers with honorary doctorates as "Doctor ________" are just trying to curry favor. Now that is the kind of thing that truly amazes and really disgusts me to see, and the CoG seems to have more than its share of sycophants.

We had a feller in the state office what got him a honery docterate. An yes, a memo went out from his office requestin at he be referenced as "Dr. Johnny Bub Doe." Another feller got in good with ole Randy White back for Without Walls turned into No Walls, an Randy gave him a honery docterate from his 2 year Bible institute. Sonnnnnnnn, at ole boys head got to swimming an for ya knowed it evertime I seen his name is was "Dr. James Diddly Doe."

Nothin wrong with receiving a honery docterate ifn ya recognize it fer what it is--a award. It should always be listed among awards in a resume, NEVER under education. It NEVER warrants anybody to use the title "Dr." But folk will say, "I don't ast nobody to call me Dr." But, they let everbody else print, publish their name with the title "Dr" attached. My brethren, these things ought not to be. It is not ethical. It does not exude integrity. It is a façade.
Acts-pert Poster
8/23/16 4:01 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I agree with what you say, OTCP. I have never viewed honorary doctorates as anything more than an honor/award, not by any means equivalent to an earned degree or a title. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/23/16 4:38 pm

Post Apples to Oranges..... Da Sheik
It's not an equal comparison, but it's not unlike what happened when we adopted the new rank of "Ordained Bishop". Some couldn't get to Office Depot fast enough to order their new business cards. Church marquees were immediately changed to reflect the change in status. E-mail signatures and social media profiles then boasted of "Bishop Bilbo Baggins". Church secretaries had to change the menu options on the voice mail system; "to speak with Bishop Baggins press option#3".

I hope the rank of "Apostle" never makes it to the GA Assembly floor. Just imagine having to go through all of that change again. I'm still exhausted from doing it last time Embarassed Wink
Acts Enthusiast
8/24/16 10:59 am

Post bonnie knox
Laughing [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/24/16 11:43 am

Post Re: Apples to Oranges..... Old Time Country Preacher
Da Sheik wrote:
It's not an equal comparison, but it's not unlike what happened when we adopted the new rank of "Ordained Bishop".

1. Some couldn't get to Office Depot fast enough to order their new business cards.

2. Church marquees were immediately changed to reflect the change in status.

3. E-mail signatures and social media profiles then boasted of "Bishop Bilbo Baggins".

4. Church secretaries had to change the menu options on the voice mail system; "to speak with Bishop Baggins press option#3".

Sheik, son, in items 1-4, you dead on with ya observations. This is zactly what happened.
Acts-pert Poster
8/24/16 1:15 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic