Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

At what point did we embrace the notion of secular music was evil?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post At what point did we embrace the notion of secular music was evil? caseyleejones
I remember music burning youth meetings....and that was a sign to God that you were sold out to him. Have a bonfire and bring your cassettes......they get burned......? Acts-perienced Poster
8/4/16 10:19 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
In my experience, secular music being considered sinful had primarily to do with our interpretation and application of passages such as 2 Cor 6:14-7:1, James 4:4, 1 John 2:15, and Rom. 12:1-2. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/4/16 10:25 am

Post JLarry
When Jimmy Swaggart told us it was.

Then I discovered everybody is wrong that is not in Jimmy's camp.

Seriously I never thought all secular music was sinful. IMO it all about the lyrics, not the style of music. Even all "Rap" music is not sinful. However it is to my ears. I do not like any "rap", secular or "Christian".

There again this is my personal taste.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
8/4/16 11:03 am

Post bonnie knox
I suspect the phrase "worldly amusements" has been around longer than any of us can remember.
I was just reading the other day about Aimee Semple McPherson, the woman who founded the Foursquare Church. She was born in 1890, so she would have been a teen in the early part of the 20th century. Check out this quote from the Wikipedia page. "As a teenager, McPherson strayed from her mother's teachings by reading novels and going to movies and dances, activities which were strongly disapproved of by both the Salvation Army and the religion of her father, James Kennedy, a Methodist. Novels, though, made their way into the Methodist Church library and with guilty delight, McPherson would read them."
I know novels, movies, and dances are not the same as music, but I think that gives you an idea of how even back then, there were prohibitions against secular activities.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/4/16 11:14 am

Post c6thplayer1
When back masking became the norm for heavy metal groups. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/4/16 11:37 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
I missed the burning for music sound sake.(wrong beat, etc)

But - I was strongly influenced to check the words to songs - and shun them if it taught immorality.
8/4/16 11:38 am

Post UncleJD
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
I missed the burning for music sound sake.(wrong beat, etc)

But - I was strongly influenced to check the words to songs - and shun them if it taught immorality.

That's the right approach. Telling our kids "what to think" never works as well as teaching them "how to think".
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/4/16 11:42 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic