Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

I visited an Anglican Church yesterday

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I visited an Anglican Church yesterday Brandon Bowers
My buddy attends an Anglican church here in Winchester, and I decided to visit yesterday.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with how much I got out of the service.

The pastor preached a textual message, from the Good Samaritan story, but was able to bring it across in a fresh manner. They incorporated music more throughout the service, which I've not seen even in other liturgical services I've been too. It was still laid back and casual -- you could wear casual clothes, and they incorporated both traditional and contemporary music.

I really enjoyed the interaction during the service as well -- the responsive readings and prayers, etc. Each part of the liturgy has specific meaning, and is meant to build towards the end of the service, which is partaking of the Eucharist, and a final song to close.

Perhaps it's because I've been leading in our services for the last year, but it was the most I've gotten out of a church service in years. It was also nice to experience something different than our normal Wesleyan-based and/or contemporary seeker driven services.

Or maybe it's just the spirit of Dr. Daffe in me!! Smile
8/1/16 12:27 pm

Post Cojak
Amazing how much you can learn in a visit. I liked the post. Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/1/16 2:10 pm

Post UncleJD
Nice to hear from ya BB. I like attending a high-church service every now and then myself. It reminds me of the beauty of Christ and order of the body. I couldn't do it all the time, but its great on occasion. My favorite is Christmas time of course. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/1/16 6:41 pm

Post Re: I visited an Anglican Church yesterday Old Time Country Preacher
Brandon Bowers wrote:
My buddy attends an Anglican church here in Winchester, and I decided to visit yesterday.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with how much I got out of the service.

The pastor preached a textual message, from the Good Samaritan story, but was able to bring it across in a fresh manner. They incorporated music more throughout the service, which I've not seen even in other liturgical services I've been too. It was still laid back and casual -- you could wear casual clothes, and they incorporated both traditional and contemporary music.

I really enjoyed the interaction during the service as well -- the responsive readings and prayers, etc. Each part of the liturgy has specific meaning, and is meant to build towards the end of the service, which is partaking of the Eucharist, and a final song to close.

Perhaps it's because I've been leading in our services for the last year, but it was the most I've gotten out of a church service in years. It was also nice to experience something different than our normal Wesleyan-based and/or contemporary seeker driven services.

Or maybe it's just the spirit of Dr. Daffe in me!! Smile

Was they any tongues/interpretation?
Acts-pert Poster
8/1/16 7:35 pm

Post Brandon Bowers
HA!!! No... Wink
8/1/16 10:02 pm

Post Cojak
I was fortunate once to attend a Greek Orthodox Church once in Athens. Our ships chaplain took a group. I did not understand a word that was said, but for a southern COG boy, I was really moved by the passion with with the 'priest' carried on the service.

I think the experience is definitely worth the time. Most of the churches we visit in the USA are COG, AG, Baptist and Methodist. Our unique experience in the USA was in Roundout Valley, NY at the Reformed Church. WE were very warmly welcomed, it was a very worshipful time. Cool
8/1/16 10:45 pm

Post Da Sheik
I enjoy a good high-church service myself on occasion. As someone else stated, I don't think I would enjoy it all the time but I think diversity is good. One thing about the Reformed churches is that they typically have a very reverent order of service, scriptural based liturgy, quiet contemplation, and often the Eucharist.

Sometimes our tradition gets a little too "comfortable" with God in our worship services, but that's just my opinion.
Acts Enthusiast
8/2/16 2:17 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
I enjoy a good high-church service myself on occasion. As someone else stated, I don't think I would enjoy it all the time but I think diversity is good. One thing about the Reformed churches is that they typically have a very reverent order of service, scriptural based liturgy, quiet contemplation, and often the Eucharist.

Sometimes our tradition gets a little too "comfortable" with God in our worship services, but that's just my opinion.

You express it well, I am far from formal in my thinking, but there does seem to be more of a 'reverence' in these churches. I remember feeling as a child, hearing my dad in his office praying. It was how he approached his talk with God. Sorta like 'the take off thy shoes this is holy ground' feeling.

I think it is good to feel that in your lifetime. Cool
8/2/16 9:22 pm

Post Brandon Bowers
When I lived in Tampa, I found a really nice Catholic church that kept their sanctuary open for prayer. It was so beautiful and reverent in there. I loved going there to be alone with God.
8/3/16 6:38 pm

Post Cojak
Brandon Bowers wrote:
When I lived in Tampa, I found a really nice Catholic church that kept their sanctuary open for prayer. It was so beautiful and reverent in there. I loved going there to be alone with God.

You know Brandon, that is something I really miss in OUR churches. A time when you could walk in and just kneel or sit, shutting out everything else and commune.

Thanks for the statement from your past. I can understand the feeling. Cool
8/4/16 5:39 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic