Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What you should know BEFORE becoming a COG minister
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Cojak
Duplicate, system running slower than my fingers. I didn't mean to waste paper. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/5/16 9:47 pm

Post Hey NBF brotherjames
I stayed away from this intentionally but I finally succumbed to the temptation. Guess I'll have to repent and try to do better next time.

While the Episcopalians and Church of Christ and now some rebellious Methodists have ordained homosexuals, your basic tenet is indeed spurious as Bonnie correctly noted. Why? Because since its inception in 1914 - 102 yrs ago - the Assemblies of God has ordained women and allowed them to vote and hold any office they might desire and get elected to. Yes, there have not been many elected to high office but they could be. And, as of this date and into the foreseeable future we will not be ordaining any homosexuals. So, your reasoning is not only spurious but tortured to say the least.

And without trying to be accused of sheep stealing, the offer to Bonnie to come join a more enlightened Fellowship still stands. Laughing
Acts-celerater
8/7/16 7:53 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
According to the New International Dictionary of Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements (2002, 2003), p.1205, women were not allowed to be ordained as pastors in the AG at the original General Council in 1914. In 1931 the GC resolved that women could only be ordained as evangelists, and that their certificates must omit the rights to bury the dead, administer ordinances of the church and perform the rite of marriage. The right to officiate the ordinances "when such acts are necessary" was restored in the AG to women in 1935, although the patterns of limitation continued to be generally accepted. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/7/16 9:54 am

Post Your information is incorrect brotherjames
Women were ordained as evangelists and missionaries from the beginning in 1914. The Women's Missionary Council was developed by Etta Calhoun and in 1925 began to push for women as pastors which was given to women in 1935 and continues today. Now the women's missionary council is the National Women's Dept and there is a woman on the Exec. Presbytery. Acts-celerater
8/7/16 2:46 pm

Post Re: Your information is incorrect Quiet Wyatt
If you would kindly read my post again, you will see that we don't really disagree, brotherjames. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/7/16 4:30 pm

Post Sorry, brotherjames
I see my mistake. That's what happens when you skim sometimes. My apologies. Acts-celerater
8/7/16 7:19 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
James, you an Wyatt is makin the ole timer all mellow an misty eyed here. I seen how you boys posted, had a little tiff, then made up an all. I said to maself, see, ats how it oughtta be. Glad you boys worked it out. Acts-pert Poster
8/7/16 9:54 pm

Post bonnie knox
Do ya find it easier ta meller out on a Sundie evenin after ya done got ya sermons preached and ya folks prayed over and everthing squared away till next week?
Just curious an all since I ain't no preacher.

Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
James, you an Wyatt is makin the ole timer all mellow an misty eyed here. I seen how you boys posted, had a little tiff, then made up an all. I said to maself, see, ats how it oughtta be. Glad you boys worked it out.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/7/16 10:18 pm

bonnie knox wrote:
I ain't no preacher.

At aint what the Chief tole me, Miss Bonnie. In a personal message he sent me, ole Chief said you was quite a preacher, said you preached to him right regular an all, like "take out the trash," "mow the grass," etc. He said at "Honey Do" list a yorn was like the notes of a preachers outline, an at you was a skilled exegete when it come to parsin em verbs like "Go," "Get Up," an "Do This." So, I don't rightly know, Miss Bonnie, you might not think you a preacher, but ole Chief's gotta little different take on things. Laughing
Acts-pert Poster
8/7/16 11:29 pm

Post bonnie knox
Well, Ole Timer, who ya gonna believe? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/7/16 11:37 pm

Post Back to the OP, bonnie knox
before becoming a COG preacher, you ought to know about Actscelerate. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/7/16 11:48 pm

Post Re: Back to the OP, Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:
before becoming a COG preacher, you ought to know about Actscelerate.

Thumb Up Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/8/16 12:19 am

bonnie knox wrote:
Well, Ole Timer, who ya gonna believe?

Cool
Acts-pert Poster
8/8/16 12:22 am

Post Re: Sorry, Quiet Wyatt
brotherjames wrote:
I see my mistake. That's what happens when you skim sometimes. My apologies.

No problemo!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/8/16 12:24 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
brother james,

You have a reading problem.
And I see why we can't make any progress on this issue.

I am telling you the connection made by most voting against the measure in the COG.

For the sake of the argument - I am limiting our example groups that did not ordain women - but now do. What happened afterwards? What has been their experience?

Address that issue - and you can win the day. I gave you example of 1 of why not to ordain women. All you need is to get compelling counterexamples - for those that once didn't ordain women - but now do? Show us their successful experience changing course.

Perhaps there is not an example - and we must chart new territory. If so, so state.

But simple badgering those against that they are wrong - that they are sexist - or their ideas spurious will compel NO ONE to change their minds.
8/8/16 6:41 am

Post bonnie knox
No, NBF, it apparently isn't working that way. We've been having the same discussion on Acts for YEARS. Quiet Wyatt can usually be counted on to bring up the examples of other Pentecostal denominations ordaining women, and yet we are still we are hearing the slippery slope arguments on Acts.
The same prooftexting has been taking place for YEARS. Look at this thread from nine years ago.
http://www.actscelerate.com/viewtopic.php?t=15617&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Quote:
Address that issue - and you can win the day. I gave you example of 1 of why not to ordain women. All you need is to get compelling counterexamples - for those that once didn't ordain women - but now do? Show us their successful experience changing course.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/8/16 7:19 am

Post bonnie knox
No, just open your ears and listen to how many people are repeating the phrase "usurp authority." It's obvious that we must have a pyramid of hierarchy! We cannot view each other as servants of the ONE master who is Christ (Matthew 23:7-9).
For someone who has believed all his life that men are at the top of a pyramid of hierarchy, changing to believe there is no pyramid at all is a major paradigm shift.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/8/16 7:30 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
bonnie knox wrote:
No, just open your ears and listen to how many people are repeating the phrase "usurp authority." It's obvious that we must have a pyramid of hierarchy! We cannot view each other as servants of the ONE master who is Christ (Matthew 23:7-9).
For someone who has believed all his life that men are at the top of a pyramid of hierarchy, changing to believe there is no pyramid at all is a major paradigm shift.

I got to admit - I must close my ears to that kind of thinking.

Keep in mind - if NBF had the only vote - women could hold any position.

A woman prayed the prayer of faith over me when I was pretty sick in the hospital.
A woman led me to Christ.
A woman taught most of my sunday school classes.
The best boss I ever had was a woman.
The worst boss I ever had was a woman - all the men were in between.
We are all the same in Christ, no more male or female, except women do most of the work of ministry.
I believe they should have the opportunity to run everything if she shows the gifting.
8/8/16 8:32 am

Post Re: Hey NBF Link
brotherjames wrote:
I stayed away from this intentionally but I finally succumbed to the temptation. Guess I'll have to repent and try to do better next time.

While the Episcopalians and Church of Christ and now some rebellious Methodists have ordained homosexuals, your basic tenet is indeed spurious as Bonnie correctly noted.

Don't the ones that ordain homosexuals call themselves 'United Church of Christ'-- not that movement that doesn't have musical instruments.
]
8/16/16 10:29 pm

Post Link
Here's something:

You'll probably have to keep your job or have some other way of earning a living besides just preaching.
8/16/16 10:30 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.