Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The evidence

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The evidence bradfreeman
THE SUBSTANCE, THE EVIDENCE

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb. 11:1

In Hebrews 11, the writer lists all of the people who heard the gospel preached to them through types and shadows. They hoped for something they couldn't see. The gospel (the good news of a coming Messiah) was preached to them "beforehand".

"And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” Gal. 3:8

They believed the shadowy pictures that were painted for them. But they didn't receive the promise (Heb. 11:39). Then Jesus appeared - the substance and reality of things hoped for, the fulfillment of every prophecy, every picture and every promise.

"So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ." Col. 2:16,17

"For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect." Heb. 10:1

The feasts were a "shadow of things to come". Christ is the "substance".
The Law was "a shadow" and "not the very image".

In Christ, the shadow became substance and the prophecies were fulfilled. Christ is the beginning and the end, the first and the last, the author and the finisher of faith.

"For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us." 2 Cor. 1:20

God kept His promises, all of them, in Christ.

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb. 12:1,2

At the end of the Hebrews 11 list of people who hoped for something that didn't receive, he describes the One we can now look to and fix our eyes on, the One who finished faith, the One who through the cross and resurrection fulfilled all that written about Him in the Law, the Prophets and the Psalms...the substance of things hoped for.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
7/26/16 6:38 am

Post And thank God for the Law!!! maqqebet
Without the Law there would be no shadow to be fulfilled.

Without out the Law nothing would point us to Jesus Christ and He would have had nothing to fulfill.

See, what balance there is in the Word of God!!!!
"Who is like you, Adonai, among the mighty?" (Exodus 15:11, CJB)
Acts Enthusiast
7/26/16 6:45 am

Post Re: And thank God for the Law!!! bradfreeman
maqqebet wrote:
Without the Law there would be no shadow to be fulfilled.

Without out the Law nothing would point us to Jesus Christ and He would have had nothing to fulfill.

See, what balance there is in the Word of God!!!!

Yes! But there's really no balance - as if it's Jesus on one side and something else on the other - it's all about Jesus!

Rom. 3:21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference;

Moses (Law) and Elijah (Prophets) were with Jesus at the transfiguration, but God said "this is my beloved Son, hear him!" We must look for and hear the message of Jesus the Law and the prophets are witnessing, foreshadowing and foretelling.

Balance would be - "let's build 3 tabernacles!" But there's only 1 message - the gospel (preached beforehand in types and shadows and now realized).

Acts-dicted
7/26/16 7:32 am

Post Thank God for the Law!!! maqqebet
God's grace, through the Law,

Defined sin for us so we would know we were sinners in need of a Savior.

Jesus was foreshadowed so He could fulfill the Law's righteous requirements, redeem us from our sins, for Jesus is the Goal of the Law!
"Who is like you, Adonai, among the mighty?" (Exodus 15:11, CJB)
Acts Enthusiast
7/26/16 8:07 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
In Hebrews 11:1, the word "substance" has been incorrectly interpreted by many as meaning "an essence of its own" or a "force or power within itself." Faulty interpretation!!!!!!!!!

The word literally means confidence or assurance. Therefore, contextually, as used in Hebrews 11:1, it references the confidence the believer has in what God has said/done/will do.
Acts-pert Poster
7/26/16 8:18 am

Post bradfreeman
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
In Hebrews 11:1, the word "substance" has been incorrectly interpreted by many as meaning "an essence of its own" or a "force or power within itself." Faulty interpretation!!!!!!!!!

The word literally means confidence or assurance. Therefore, contextually, as used in Hebrews 11:1, it references the confidence the believer has in what God has said/done/will do.

Actually, OTCP it's from the Greek "hypostasis" which literally means to stand under.

1. a setting or placing under; thing put under, substructure, foundation: Psalm 68:3 (); τοῦ οἴκου, Ezekiel 43:11; τοῦ τάφου, Diodorus 1, 66.

2. that which has foundation, is firm; hence,

a. that which has actual existence; a substance, real being:

Contextually, the writer is encouraging Hebrews to see that Christ is the reality, the finisher of what the Hebrews have been hoping for.

In the tighter context, the writer is encouraging Hebrews who are suffering (Heb. 10:32-39) that others have endured (Heb 11) and Christ has endured (Heb 12)...so don't back off of faith and return to the law.

Acts-dicted
7/26/16 8:34 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic