Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Did any measure mention women from the agenda?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Did any measure mention women from the agenda? Nature Boy Florida
I keep hearing women were "put down" again at the Assembly - but I thought the measure only dealt with ordained having the right to vote.

While that does include women - it includes men too - so I don't think women were singled out.

Perhaps it was just a slap to guys like the Nature Boy.

Wouldn't that have been cool in two years to have Tom Sterbens say something eloquent at one mic - and have it followed up with the Nature Boy saying the kind of stuff Nature Boy says at the next mic.

When am I going to get some justice?
When are we going to make the COG great again?
7/25/16 6:58 am

Post bonnie knox
NBF, are you an ordained minister?

Maybe you can at least get a chance to speak at a mic at the General Assembly, just not the General Council.
Like John Piper and his ilk like to tell the womenfolk, don't focus on what is prohibited to you, just focus on what you are allowed to do. Twisted Evil
(Or better stated, whether you like it or not, learn to love it because it's the best thing going today. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil )
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/25/16 7:10 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
bonnie knox wrote:
NBF, are you an ordained minister?

Maybe you can at least get a chance to speak at a mic at the General Assembly, just not the General Council.
Like John Piper and his ilk like to tell the womenfolk, don't focus on what is prohibited to you, just focus on what you are allowed to do. Twisted Evil
(Or better stated, whether you like it or not, learn to love it because it's the best thing going today. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil )

Hey look, I get it that women were turned back again - and I would vote them in if given a chance. I would.

But I just want to clarify - it was men and women turned away - not just women this time, right? I have seen postings on facebook that have said I need to get outta here because of how the COG treated women again - but I need to know: were women singled out this time - or not?
7/25/16 8:10 am

Post NBF, Christopher Stephenson
The opposing speeches addressed sex more than age, and sandwiched between the business sessions at which the item was discussed was a session on "fathering sons," as if daughters did not exist.

There was also an item through the motions committee that simply would have placed on the 2018 IGC agenda a provision for female ordained ministers to be eligible for election to state councils. Most of the IGC did not even want to discuss it in two years.

All in all, it was an emotionally draining week for those of us who are concerned about the way that our church sometimes treats female ministers and fellow human beings.

I remain hopeful, but it was a difficult week on this particular front.
Friendly Face
7/25/16 8:40 am

Post (l) bonnie knox
Quote:
But I just want to clarify - it was men and women turned away - not just women this time, right? I have seen postings on facebook that have said I need to get outta here because of how the COG treated women again - but I need to know: were women singled out this time - or not?

NBF, yes, quite a big to do was made about the grave danger of rejecting God and scripture if we allowed women on the floor.
I don't know how long these will stay up on the internet, but right now you can listen to the discussion of item 8 if you wish.
In the first link (session 4), start at about the 2:35 hour/min. mark.
http://livestream.com/accounts/465017/events/5860061/videos/130370290

In the second link (session 5), start at about the 1:35 hour/min. mark.
http://livestream.com/accounts/465017/events/5860061/videos/130394420

I had some comments to make, which I'll probably do later on.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/25/16 8:50 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Thanks.

I actually did hear some of it live - that it sometimes devolved into women voting or not - but that is not what the motion was deciding - at least not originally.
7/25/16 9:18 am

Post bonnie knox
No, it wasn't JUST about women, but it certainly would have had the effect of giving women more influence or voice, and that seemed to be a big sticking point. And some people were absolutely convinced that this was just a "back door attempt" to get women on the floor.

Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Thanks.

I actually did hear some of it live - that it sometimes devolved into women voting or not - but that is not what the motion was deciding - at least not originally.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/25/16 9:25 am

Post Carolyn Smith
http://www.faithnews.cc/?p=22942
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/25/16 5:34 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
It was taken that way to the point that we are losing women to other denominations this week and yes, I could name names. Acts-pert Poster
7/25/16 7:54 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic