Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

David Ramirez holds an Earned Doctorate

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post David Ramirez holds an Earned Doctorate Old Time Country Preacher
David Ramirez now holds the distinction of being the first non-USA born person to be nominated to serve on the Executive Committee. He is also the only current member of the Executive Committee who holds an earned doctorate (DMin, Asbury Theological Seminary).

Last edited by Old Time Country Preacher on 7/19/16 5:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Acts-pert Poster
7/19/16 2:43 pm

Post UncleJD
Asbury is a good school Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
7/19/16 2:58 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
UncleJD wrote:
Asbury is a good school

Yes it is, JD.
Acts-pert Poster
7/19/16 3:03 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Did anybody predict that 5?

How is the think younger movement going? I don't know who is on the 18. Been busy and not going this year.
Acts-pert Poster
7/19/16 4:59 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Define younger?

If it's under 70 - then it is going great.

If it is under 50 - uh oh.
7/19/16 5:00 pm

Eddie Robbins wrote:
How is the think younger movement going?

I think the General Council interpreted Marty's Movement to mean "Younger than Homer Tomlinson."
Acts-pert Poster
7/19/16 5:28 pm

Post Change Agent
Thanks OTCP. You have stepped up a notch for the true Doctors. I noticed that some on the EC were called Doctors from the Chair position but apparently you didn't agree. Acts Enthusiast
7/19/16 5:33 pm

Change Agent wrote:
I noticed that some on the EC were called Doctors from the Chair position but apparently you didn't agree.

You are keenly observant, CA, I do not agree, nor would I ever make such a reference myself. But who is OTCP but a lowly servant from Pikeville.
Acts-pert Poster
7/19/16 5:37 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
How is the think younger movement going?

I think the General Council interpreted Marty's Movement to mean "Younger than Homer Tomlinson."

👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
Acts-pert Poster
7/19/16 7:39 pm

Post None of my business brotherjames
So just tell me to get lost and I will bbbbbuuuuutttt (to quote a certain preacher from Pikeville) neither Columbia or Asbury are schools with any and I do mean any Pentecostal distinctives. There was a dearth of those for many years so some of us had to go to schools like those if we wanted a D.Min etc but that is no longer the case. The problem was that in order to get your thesis approved it had to be a topic the Dept would approve and your dissertation had to follow their guidelines if you get my drift. So, many were between a rock and hard place. Do we study to show ourselves approved by God or a Dept head who didn't like our subject matter or line of reasoning? That was why some opted to get degrees from less than stellar educational facilities but that is no longer necessary. I recommend AGTS in Springfield, Mo. Highly well thought of, PentecostAL and great options for study. Acts-celerater
7/19/16 7:54 pm

Post Re: None of my business Old Time Country Preacher
brotherjames wrote:
So just tell me to get lost and I will bbbbbuuuuutttt (to quote a certain preacher from Pikeville) neither Columbia or Asbury are schools with any and I do mean any Pentecostal distinctives. There was a dearth of those for many years so some of us had to go to schools like those if we wanted a D.Min etc but that is no longer the case. The problem was that in order to get your thesis approved it had to be a topic the Dept would approve and your dissertation had to follow their guidelines if you get my drift. So, many were between a rock and hard place. Do we study to show ourselves approved by God or a Dept head who didn't like our subject matter or line of reasoning? That was why some opted to get degrees from less than stellar educational facilities but that is no longer necessary. I recommend AGTS in Springfield, Mo. Highly well thought of, PentecostAL and great options for study.

BJ, you make some valid points. Please let the ole timer respond.

1. Typically, one's doctrinal moorings are formed in undergrad and seminary (graduate level) degree programs.

2. Until only recently (the last 10 years) have legitimately accredited Pentecostal DMin programs been available. As you state, prior to that, Pentecostals seeking higher education had no other choice than to attend a non-Pentecostal institution.

3. Any DMin dissertation (at Pentecostal/non-Pentecostal schools alike) must follow specific guidelines to be approved. This is part of the academic process. At all but a very few schools, academic freedom takes precedent over doctrinal issues. For example, I know a gentleman right now who is in the DMin program at Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary. He has completed all course work and writing his dissertation on the concept of tarrying for the Holy Ghost. I know a feller who just last year earned his DMin from Liberty, his dissertation was on a specific component of Pentecostalism. My point is this, you might find a fundamentalist school that would give you problems over a Pentecostal subject for a dissertation, but for the most part, in most legitimately accredited schools, the Pentecostal minister/student could still write his/her dissertation on the subject of some aspect of Pentecostalism.

4. One studies to show one's self approved to God; however, God also requires that one give one's best to the process. If one absolutely could not get a specific research proposal approved, then move to another school. In most cases there is no reason one cannot be true to God and to one's doctoral committee.

5. I would disagree with you that the reason some guys opted for a doctorate from a 2-bit, slipshod, unaccredited, doctorate is not that they were unable to write on the subject of their choice, but because they did not want to discipline themselves to complete a legitimate doctorate.

6. I agree, AGTS and PTS are both excellent options for the Pentecostal desiring a DMin.
Acts-pert Poster
7/19/16 9:25 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic