Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

"Study" to show yourself approved unto God is not about reading books

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post "Study" to show yourself approved unto God is not about reading books bonnie knox
The oft-quoted verse in 2 Timothy about studying to show yourself approved is not about reading books. The word "study" is about being diligent.

2 Timothy 2:15New American Standard Bible (NASB)

15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.

2 Timothy 2:15New International Version (NIV)

15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

2 Timothy 2:15King James Version (KJV)

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 2:15New King James Version (NKJV)

15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/20/16 8:34 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Perhaps.

But studying isn't a miss of the passage at all imho.

Studying doesn't necessarily mean books - but could involve imitating others, observing the stars or seasons for signs/clues.

And - you are not really studying unless you are diligently reading, taking notes, etc...
7/20/16 8:41 am

Post bonnie knox
Our English word "study" as it is commonly meant is not what is meant in that verse. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/20/16 9:10 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
bonnie knox wrote:
Our English word "study" as it is commonly meant is not what is meant in that verse.

I won't believe it unless the NLT says so.
7/20/16 9:22 am

Post Just a summary... Mark Ledbetter
I have an unpublished work that I taught locally entitled Teaching Teachers to Teach. One chapter is devoted to this subject and I dubbed the Chapter "The Ezra Principle." I'll try to summarize.

Ezra is held to be the example of the Priest who "set his heart to study the law of the Lord and dot practice it, and to teach His statutes and ordinances in Israel." (Ezra 7:10)

He set his heart - the teacher must be teachable. "The teacher's heart must become like fresh vellum ready for the Scribe to write upon our hearts..."

"Approaching Yahweh with humility is the key unlocking the reservoir of His knowledge, understanding, and wisdom."

Study is from the word darash meaning "to seek with care." And as Bonnie points out, "study" in 2 Tim 2:15 means "to be diligent.

Two thoughts on "accurately handing the word of truth."

One, it can refer to "cutting straight" paths, as in Proverbs 3:6. The teacher should cut straight paths to the truth and understanding.

Two, it can refer to the precision the Priest uses in preparing the sacrifice, precisely cutting the organs and the fat, the joints and any portion reserved for the priest - all in the most humane manner relieving the animal of suffering.

"If the teacher prepares his or her lesson as a sacrifice to Yahweh, it will impress upon the heart and mind during preparation to be very careful, very precise in the way they approach their study."
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
7/20/16 9:50 am

Post bonnie knox
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
Our English word "study" as it is commonly meant is not what is meant in that verse.

I won't believe it unless the NLT says so.

The NLT for NBF

2 Timothy 2:15New Living Translation (NLT)

An Approved Worker

15 Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/20/16 10:13 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
that settles it
7/20/16 11:58 am

Post Re: "Study" to show yourself approved unto God is not about reading books Resident Skeptic
bonnie knox wrote:
The oft-quoted verse in 2 Timothy about studying to show yourself approved is not about reading books. The word "study" is about being diligent.

2 Timothy 2:15New American Standard Bible (NASB)

15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.

2 Timothy 2:15New International Version (NIV)

15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

2 Timothy 2:15King James Version (KJV)

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 2:15New King James Version (NKJV)

15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Bingo.
7/21/16 7:49 am

Post Ventureforth
Well, you should've pointed this out before I finished college. Wink
Hmm, guess I didn't study this verse well enough. Laughing
Kidding aside, I guess you could say diligence is a broad category which includes reading books.
Acts-celerater
7/21/16 11:22 pm

Post bonnie knox
Ventureforth, here is a verse for you:

Ecclesiastes 1:18
18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Wink

Ventureforth wrote:
Kidding aside, I guess you could say diligence is a broad category which includes reading books.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/21/16 11:55 pm

Post Ventureforth
bonnie knox wrote:
Ventureforth, here is a verse for you:

Ecclesiastes 1:18
18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Wink

Ventureforth wrote:

You really know how to cheer a guy up, don't you? Sad Wink
Acts-celerater
7/22/16 3:16 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic