Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

John Alexander Dowie & Homer Tomlinson: Two Peas in a Pod (P)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post John Alexander Dowie & Homer Tomlinson: Two Peas in a Pod (P) Old Time Country Preacher
Dowie came to believe he was Elijah and would dress in Old Testament style clothes. Look at these two pics. What is it with some a these fellers?

Acts-pert Poster
6/27/16 12:34 am

Post sheepdogandy
Never a dull moment with Homer. Laughing

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/27/16 7:28 am

Post bonnie knox
Now, Ole Timer, I ain't up on Church a God history, so forgive me for askin. Did ole Homer think he really was a king or was that what ya might call a parody--I think you know what I mean by that. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/27/16 8:52 am

Post So many kings Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/27/16 9:39 am

Post re: so many kings bonnie knox
Yep, a friend of ours rented that video about Queen Esther that TBN produced called "One Night with the King." The cashier asked him if it was about Elvis. Laughing [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/27/16 9:55 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
It was no parody, Miss Bonnie, with either Homer or Dowie. Them fellers believed it. Cashius Clay put on a show, he was all mouth. But Homer an Dowie, hey, they was on the up an up. Acts-pert Poster
6/27/16 11:31 am

Post bonnie knox
If I may ask it this way, are you saying Homer was certifiable? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/27/16 11:40 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:
If I may ask it this way, are you saying Homer was certifiable?

Might I respond with another question? Are you askin whether or not Homer's elevator went all the way to the top floor? Or, are ya askin whether or not a few bales a hay fell off his wagon? Or, are ya wonderin whether or not all his neurons was firin in sync?

Only answer I got is to say look at that outfit and lawncheer throne.
Acts-pert Poster
6/27/16 11:58 am

Post Methocostal
I don't remember if he thought he was King, but he was so well known from running for President that his death was even reported on national news! (I was raised COGOP).

I think he had "issues".

bonnie knox wrote:
Now, Ole Timer, I ain't up on Church a God history, so forgive me for askin. Did ole Homer think he really was a king or was that what ya might call a parody--I think you know what I mean by that.
Friendly Face
6/27/16 11:59 am

Post I'm surprised Methocostal
I realize Homer was AJ's son and MA's brother, but I'm surprised COG people still remember him! Especially people still alive Smile I'm not even sure a lot of COGOP people would remember. I suspect I remember him more because my Dad knew him and was a pastor in the early 1940's in Tennessee. My dad was well known in the COGOP's and in a meeting I had in HQ once, MA told me what a great man my dad was. I can't remember if my dad knew Homer personally or not.

If my parent's had not been so old when I was born, I'm not even sure I would have hardly known who he was. He wasn't exactly a shinning example in the COGOP.

However, I think he had some issues, certainly after he wasn't made GO, but I have no idea whether he had issues before that happened.
Friendly Face
6/27/16 12:05 pm

Post Methocostal
hmmmm. I ain't no shrink mam Smile

bonnie knox wrote:
Friendly Face
6/27/16 12:07 pm

Post OT Methocostal
Who was John Dowie? Was he formerly COG or COGOP? Friendly Face
6/27/16 12:08 pm

Post bonnie knox
In Pikeville, they probly call it "a few bricks shy of a load."Wink
I guess I was wondering if it was just an illustration, you know the way Schambach had a casket in one of his services and had a man illustrating the resurrection, or if it was a matter of him bein a little teched an all.

Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

Might I respond with another question? Are you askin whether or not Homer's elevator went all the way to the top floor? Or, are ya askin whether or not a few bales a hay fell off his wagon? Or, are ya wonderin whether or not all his neurons was firin in sync?

Only answer I got is to say look at that outfit and lawncheer throne.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/27/16 2:22 pm

Post Re: I'm surprised Old Time Country Preacher
Methocostal wrote:
Homer ... had some issues.

A very diplomatic way to describe it.
Acts-pert Poster
6/28/16 12:41 am

Post Re: OT Old Time Country Preacher
Methocostal wrote:
Who was John Dowie? Was he formerly COG or COGOP?

John Alexander Dowie, (born May 25, 1847, Edinburgh—died March 9, 1907, City of Zion, Ill., U.S.) U.S. evangelist and faith healer who founded the Christian Catholic Church and the City of Zion.

Dowie moved with his family to Australia as a boy but returned to Edinburgh to study theology. He entered the Congregational ministry in 1870 as a pastor in Alma, Australia, and spent the next several years campaigning against the use of tobacco and alcohol. From a personal experience of healing he developed an interest in spiritual healing and eventually founded the International Divine Healing Association.

In 1888 he went to the U.S. After receiving little attention in San Francisco, he settled in Chicago. There he became increasingly successful as an evangelist and healer and won every one of nearly a hundred suits brought against him by doctors and clergymen who opposed his practices. In 1896 he founded the Christian Catholic Church, which emphasized spiritual healing but otherwise differed little from the more millennialist of the Protestant churches. In 1901 he established the City of Zion on the shore of Lake Michigan, about 40 miles north of Chicago, with about 5,000 of his followers. In the same year he proclaimed himself Elijah the Restorer and, later, First Apostle of the church. He ruled the community as a theocracy, forbade physicians’ offices, dance halls, theatres, drugstores, and smoking and drinking. Various industries were begun and the town prospered, with Dowie in sole control of the businesses. Zion’s commercial success was increasingly jeopardized, however, by Dowie’s several expensive and futile trips, first to New York to convert the city in 1903 and next to Mexico to establish the “Zion Paradise Plantation.” Opposition to his fiscal irresponsibility (and to alleged polygyny) led to his removal in 1906 and his replacement by Wilbur Voliva, a trusted friend whom he had earlier named temporary head of the church.
Acts-pert Poster
6/28/16 12:44 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic